Missing Printer

about once a week for the last 3 weeks, I have a printer that keeps
disapearing from active directory. it is a network printer (Dell W5300) that
is setup on a DC for a small branch office that only has 7 users in it. When
i check the properties for the printer, it shows that it is listed in the
directory, but it does not show up anywhere in AD. if I uncheck the list in
directory option, hit apply, then recheck it, after a min or two, the
printer shows back up under the DC for that site. I can then move it to the
site's Printers OU as needed. There have been some problems with this site
and the VPN link back to corperate the last few days, but I wouldn't think
that would cause the objects in AD to get removed...

any ideas what is causing this printer to disapear?

-Brian

There's a good chance that another DC in your network is pruning the printer
from AD. This can happen if the pruner (running under the spooler service
on a DC) cannot contact the printer server to enumerate the print queues.

Normally a DC in a remote site (from the printer server) should not assume
pruning responsibility, as it should be a task for an on-site DC. Check to
see that your branch office is configured as a separate AD site.

If your remote office is properly defined in a separate site, check to see
whether the printer server information is correctly registered in DNS. This
can be another cause of strange pruning behaviour.

To find out which DC is pruning the printers, have a look for Event IDs 47
and 50 on the DCs.

Here are some links to more information.

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/41104/41104.html

Tony
www.activedir.org

Have a look at the following KB article for some further ideas.
"Brian Higgins" <brian@-NO-accentconsulting-SPAM-.com> wrote in message
> about once a week for the last 3 weeks, I have a printer that keeps
> disapearing from active directory. it is a network printer (Dell W5300)
> that is setup on a DC for a small branch office that only has 7 users in
> it. When i check the properties for the printer, it shows that it is
> listed in the directory, but it does not show up anywhere in AD. if I
> uncheck the list in directory option, hit apply, then recheck it, after a
> min or two, the printer shows back up under the DC for that site. I can
> then move it to the site's Printers OU as needed. There have been some
> problems with this site and the VPN link back to corperate the last few
> days, but I wouldn't think that would cause the objects in AD to get
> removed...
>
> any ideas what is causing this printer to disapear?
>
> -Brian

Thanks. very helpfull..