Backup Procedure Guidance Needed

Hi, I have a Win2k that I have the following backup procedure:

I do a weekly full backup. In between full backups, I do a nightly
incremetnal backup.

The incremental finally filled up the hard drive it was backing up to.
My question is, am I supposed to do a full backup and then weekly
delete the incremental file that is increasing in size?

Should my procedure be:

1. Weekly full backup
2. Incremental
3. Weekly full backup
4. Delete Existing incremental before the next incremental backup kicks
in
5. Incremental

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you for help.

That is a good basic idea, though you will want to make sure that you are
not making backups of your backups. Don't back up the full backup and
incrementals in your nightly backups.

Also, try to get the backups off of the machine. If the hard drive crashes,
your backups will be worthless if you can't get to them.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

<john_20_28_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have a Win2k that I have the following backup procedure:
>
> I do a weekly full backup. In between full backups, I do a nightly
> incremetnal backup.
>
> The incremental finally filled up the hard drive it was backing up to.
> My question is, am I supposed to do a full backup and then weekly
> delete the incremental file that is increasing in size?
>
> Should my procedure be:
>
> 1. Weekly full backup
> 2. Incremental
> 3. Weekly full backup
> 4. Delete Existing incremental before the next incremental backup kicks
> in
> 5. Incremental
>
> Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you for help.

Further to what Ryan stated, you might want to backup to a location on your
hard drive and then copy it to a remote location. You will have to mess
with the permissions ( I find that network and system Full Control - IIRC -
are needed...as well as others ).

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"Ryan Hanisco" <rhanisco@flagshipis.com> wrote in message
> That is a good basic idea, though you will want to make sure that you are
> not making backups of your backups. Don't back up the full backup and
> incrementals in your nightly backups.
>
> Also, try to get the backups off of the machine. If the hard drive
> crashes,
> your backups will be worthless if you can't get to them.
>
> --
> Ryan Hanisco
> MCSE, MCDBA
> Flagship Integration Services
>
> <john_20_28_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, I have a Win2k that I have the following backup procedure:
>>
>> I do a weekly full backup. In between full backups, I do a nightly
>> incremetnal backup.
>>
>> The incremental finally filled up the hard drive it was backing up to.
>> My question is, am I supposed to do a full backup and then weekly
>> delete the incremental file that is increasing in size?
>>
>> Should my procedure be:
>>
>> 1. Weekly full backup
>> 2. Incremental
>> 3. Weekly full backup
>> 4. Delete Existing incremental before the next incremental backup kicks
>> in
>> 5. Incremental
>>
>> Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you for help.

One of the reasons a hard drive is used is because the tape drive took
forever to get to a given point. This was as couple of years ago. Are
there any tape drives that don't cost over $2500 that are fast? And
thank you for your comments on the backup (both of you.)

HP makes some DLT drives near the 1500 price point..