Active directory error

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

I have a problem with a network. I have searched on the internet for this
and found lots of tips but none have worked.

First of all, I have a Windows 2000 server machine that has 2 nics, one
hooked up to DSL, the other hooked up to about 20 clients via ethernet. The
server acts as a PDC and also runs DHCP server, WINS, DNS and all that for
the clients. The LAN is set up with 10.0.0.x addresses. When I try to pull
up the active directory for the server, it tells me

"Naming information cannot be located because:
No authority could be contacted for authentication.
Contact your system administrator to verify that your domain is properly
configured and is currently online."

Everything seems to be working find with the network. All clients can
access internet and the brwsing works on the LAN. The server has been like
this for quite a long time so I have no idea when it started. Also the
problem is that I am not physically at the computer, I have to remote in.
Any ideas? Thanks!

-Ryan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

Are you trying to do RAS or connection sharing or do you just have the NICs
set up this way?

You really should consider going from your DSL router into a switch and
connecting all of your devices that way, rather than having your server
in-line. Yes, there are reasons to do it that way, but make sure you have a
valid one before resting on that configuration.

You can leave all your domain services as they are, but let the router do
the NAT and routing.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"news.earthlink.net" <birkato@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a problem with a network. I have searched on the internet for this
> and found lots of tips but none have worked.
>
> First of all, I have a Windows 2000 server machine that has 2 nics, one
> hooked up to DSL, the other hooked up to about 20 clients via ethernet.
The
> server acts as a PDC and also runs DHCP server, WINS, DNS and all that for
> the clients. The LAN is set up with 10.0.0.x addresses. When I try to
pull
> up the active directory for the server, it tells me
>
> "Naming information cannot be located because:
> No authority could be contacted for authentication.
> Contact your system administrator to verify that your domain is properly
> configured and is currently online."
>
> Everything seems to be working find with the network. All clients can
> access internet and the brwsing works on the LAN. The server has been
like
> this for quite a long time so I have no idea when it started. Also the
> problem is that I am not physically at the computer, I have to remote in.
> Any ideas? Thanks!
>
> -Ryan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

Make sure the server is pointing to itself as the DNS server
"news.earthlink.net" <birkato@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a problem with a network. I have searched on the internet for this
> and found lots of tips but none have worked.
>
> First of all, I have a Windows 2000 server machine that has 2 nics, one
> hooked up to DSL, the other hooked up to about 20 clients via ethernet.
The
> server acts as a PDC and also runs DHCP server, WINS, DNS and all that for
> the clients. The LAN is set up with 10.0.0.x addresses. When I try to
pull
> up the active directory for the server, it tells me
>
> "Naming information cannot be located because:
> No authority could be contacted for authentication.
> Contact your system administrator to verify that your domain is properly
> configured and is currently online."
>
> Everything seems to be working find with the network. All clients can
> access internet and the brwsing works on the LAN. The server has been
like
> this for quite a long time so I have no idea when it started. Also the
> problem is that I am not physically at the computer, I have to remote in.
> Any ideas? Thanks!
>
> -Ryan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

DNS is your problem, active directory depends on dns. You should have the AD
server provide all the clients with dns information, as well as it pointing
to itself only. DNS by itself will resolve all outside sites you need so you
wont kill the internet browsing.

You are providing a wonderful point of entry for hackers in your setup, you
NEED to have some kind of firewall between the pdc and your internet
connection.

--
BRIAN EDWARDO
"Ryan Hanisco" <rhanisco@flagshipis.com> wrote in message
> Are you trying to do RAS or connection sharing or do you just have the
> NICs
> set up this way?
>
> You really should consider going from your DSL router into a switch and
> connecting all of your devices that way, rather than having your server
> in-line. Yes, there are reasons to do it that way, but make sure you have
> valid one before resting on that configuration.
>
> You can leave all your domain services as they are, but let the router do
> the NAT and routing.
>
> --
> Ryan Hanisco
> MCSE, MCDBA
> Flagship Integration Services
>
> "news.earthlink.net" <birkato@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have a problem with a network. I have searched on the internet for
>> this
>> and found lots of tips but none have worked.
>>
>> First of all, I have a Windows 2000 server machine that has 2 nics, one
>> hooked up to DSL, the other hooked up to about 20 clients via ethernet.
> The
>> server acts as a PDC and also runs DHCP server, WINS, DNS and all that
>> for
>> the clients. The LAN is set up with 10.0.0.x addresses. When I try to
> pull
>> up the active directory for the server, it tells me
>>
>> "Naming information cannot be located because:
>> No authority could be contacted for authentication.
>> Contact your system administrator to verify that your domain is properly
>> configured and is currently online."
>>
>> Everything seems to be working find with the network. All clients can
>> access internet and the brwsing works on the LAN. The server has been
> like
>> this for quite a long time so I have no idea when it started. Also the
>> problem is that I am not physically at the computer, I have to remote in.
>> Any ideas? Thanks!
>>
>> -Ryan

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

Just as a point of clarification....

The Internal DNS with appropriate forwarders to the ISP's DNS will resolve
all outside sites.

Ryan