x800pro, where does it lie?

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
Hi, I have an x800 pro.

It has DVI output, and VGA.

I can output the VGA to my LCD TV no problem.

The card came with a DVI adaptor. I can use the same VGA cable to attach it to the adaptor and the TV, but with no output.

Is a DVI cable the same as a VGA cable?

Why does the convertor have an end that plugs into the VGA cable?

How do I activate it? The picture is supposed to be better.

My TV's input is labelled DVI, but it accepts a VGA cable and a VGA signal from the graphics card.

I'm pretty confused.

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
A DVI cable is different than a VGA one. DVI is digital, VGA is analog. If you're using a DVI-to-VGA adaptor then you're converting your card's digital output to analog in order to connect it to an analog input on the monitor. If your monitor supports DVI then you should buy a DVI cable and connect the two without the adaptors. The image quality should improve significantly

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
Well I think I'm using a VGA cable. It's got the same ends that used to go into my old 14" monitor.

Does a DVI connection have a VGA end?
Why would a card with VGA and DVI have a DVI to VGA adaptor?

The VGA end I attach to the monitor (LCD TV) savs it's a DVI input in the manual, but has a VGA end, too. Works great when I attach it to the VGA output on the card, so it seems to be VGA to DVI, unless the manual's lying?!

Thanks for the reply!

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Top one's DVI. Bottom one's VGA.

DVI-Flat_VGA_ADAP.JPG

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
Thanks Gary!

My Ati made x800pro has both on it, my TV has the bottom one, VGA male, but the manual says it's DVI, which confused me.

With my card came a VGA to DVI convertor (which I think is what your picture is of.)

I've two questions:

1) Why did my card come with a DVi to VGA convertor if it already had VGA? Is the VGA quality better if put through a DVI convertor?

2) Is the labelling on the VGA port as DVI a manual error? (the TV is a Philips 30PF9975 - fantastic TV, but only 16ms, but since I've never seen faster, can't notice the sluggishness)

PS. You were great in Point Break!

Gary_Busey

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I don't know why the manual would mis-label it. Must be an error. The DVI-VGA connector could be for if you wanted to run dual monitors and had two monitors with only VGA inputs.