HP Warns Customers Not To Downgrade Win 8 PCs to Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Takes about 2-3 hours to get used to and Google how to's for win 8.

Won't switch back from 8 to 7 on my desktop.

Keeping 7 for my work machine, but really liking the search on 8. Orders alphabetically all the apps which I'm finding pretty convenient.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So what they are saying is that they don't want extra support calls and because of that the customers are encouraged to not use their PC as they want.

Gotta love the company's those days!

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]So what they are saying is that they don't want extra support calls and because of that the customers are encouraged to not use their PC as they want.Gotta love the company's those days![/citation]
As they want? Why not just buy from another company? I have no doubt Apple would think twice before supporting a downgrade of their OS on a new MacBook...

cirdecus

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Cats_Paw[/nom]A small one compared to all the others, but yes .[/citation]
[citation][nom]wanderer11[/nom]One more reason to never buy anything from HP.[/citation]

Exactly this. They've been the worst tech company when it comes to drives. Their printer drives are horrendous. Half the drivers on their website for supported products say "use windows update" lol.

This is a pretty bold move for them to go this low.

G

Im like raging because my new HP pc wont run mw3 because of bios

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
More choice taken away, nice. Just more incentive to continue to build my own and outsource my company PC's to local shops :) Thanks HP for helping the little guy get more business!

arnoldlouie

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
This was the same with vista..most people downgraded to xp..now from win 8 to win 7. I don't know wth microsoft is doing. They knew from the start that the people doesn't like win8..they should have pushed back this os and people will just wait for a better os.. rather than this.. and for hp..i don't know how they made a system fine tuned for win 8 only...

lp231

Splendid
I don't see what's the big deal, it's always been like this, ever since Vista. If you buy a business machine running Vista, you have the option to downgrade back to XP. It's the same thing now, get a business machine running Win 8 and have the option to downgrade back to Win 7. IMHO, HP don't want consumers PC to have the option to downgrade (due to drivers), is because of support.
It's like a person building a PC for their friend with Win7 installed. His friend decided to install XP himself and then starts calling, asking hey why this don't work or that don't work. For the guy who build it, will he have the time to find out what the heck is going on and why it doesn't work? The initial OS was Win7 and everything works before he installed XP.

If a person was to buy a consumer based PC with Win8 and HP don't have drivers for that, they can still find it, not from HP itself, but from the website for the individual components.

G

I don't get the manufacturer "F-you" attitude. Or this line "Customers will just have to set their fears aside and get to know a really great new OS." Think of history, Skippy. Does that mean averyone had to drop Win XP and gleefully adopt a half-baked Vista? Or Win 98 in favor of Win ME? An OS is an OS, it should do what the USER wants, NOT what a roomfull of hipster kiddie coders at MS demand. The fact that HP would do this (at MS's behest of course) shows how desperate they are -- if we can't get them with "features" and "tiles" then we'll scare the crap out of them. I will never use an OS from MS before SP1. The OS is there to let ME decide how to work, not to FORCE me to adhere to it.

G

Absolutely will not be buying a Win 8 machine from HP or any other vendor! I don't take kindly to being strong armed into anything let alone something that should have been released as a separate product for devices.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'll use windows 8 on my next build.. but i dont' really see enough of a difference to pay for a upgrade on curent machines. heck my htpc runs vista ebcause that what was out at the time and for what it is used for its fine... never got the downgradign vertions thing for consumer use.. for company use though i know plenty of people on xp still due to software lic. agreements and not wanting to buy new ones

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I'll be happy to hear the end of all this bitching about Windows 8. I've never heard so much complaining over something that amounts to a different start menu. I agree that the-screen-formerly-known-as-metro is less than optimal for desktops. So I have a suggestion for those who don't like Window's new start screen - don't use it! That's what i'll do. Place a large desktop shortcut tile in the middle, and whenever windows boots into that screen, click on your shortcut, just like you click on LOGIN now, and you'll instantly find yourself in familiar territory where you can place anything you need on the desktop or quicklaunch bar. For enduring this very slight inconvenience, you'll be rewarded with a much smoother, cleaner, and more modern OS.

Not to mention the fact that you can finally own a legit copy instead of having to wait for the pirates to crack it because Microsoft has finally priced Windows within the budget of folks who can afford a $500 processor, $500 video card, and a $500 smartphone, but can't afford to replace the bald tires on their 2002 Honda Accord.

I will have happily upgraded all six of my personal machines by the end of this year.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
This isn't a Win 8 problem, this is a HP problem. HP is making a bad decision not supporting 7 longer. I mean, I'm fine with 8, but seriously, it's only been out for what? Two weeks? I think Win 8 is fine, but come on, what idiot thinks that everyone should switch in just 2 weeks. It's almost like HP is trying to kill itself off. There is absolutely no reason to rush to abandon 7 so quickly, especially when we know that 7 itself will still be receiving support from MSFT for at least a little while longer. Just a bad move.

[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]I believe Windows 7 and 8 drivers usually work the same.[/citation]
Correct; Vista/7/8 all use the same driver model, so in theory you should be able to get a win8 driver to work on win7. The issue is that with driver signing it may take a little work for a win8 driver to be accepted by win7, and there is always the issue of a driver utilizing something that has had a dramatic change in win8 over win7 (namely touch drivers), but you should be able to get basic use out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.