Hell knows no fury like a OC GPU/CPU!!!

ThermalWank

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this whole overclocking thing and was caught off guard by the "hell-like" temps coming from my pc when I OC'd the CPU and GPU. I've been lurking around here and thought I knew what I was in for but I guess not. Anyways, here's the deal, I have a aluminum mid-tower with 2 120mm fans ( 1 front blowing in and 1 back blowing out / both run 2000rpms ) and a antec 550w / 120mm exhaust fan above the CPU. The CPU is a opty 148 OC'd to 2.6ghz with stock HSF but I did apply Arctic Silver 5 paste. The GPU is a Gigabyte 7900GT ( mild OC ) with a sucky copper HSF but no HS for the memory chips. So its blowing the hot air in the case. MB is a Asus AN8. The overclocked temps are around 40c idle and 50c at load playing games ( give or take a few C ) MB temp stays the same as the CPU at idle. Room temp is around 70F-77F. I dont know if this is too high or not but I was thinking of getting a Thermaltake CL-W0052 Tide Water VGA water cooler for the 7900 to get the hot air down to a min. Also was considering a Arctic Cooler Freezer 64 Pro for the Opty. These options fit my budget of around $150 but would a full water cooling setup for a few bucks more be better? Any suggests would be helpful. Thanks.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
air cooling is sufficient

and stay away from that tide water crap, it sucks... get a good hsf for your 7900gt

with your budget, you can get a much better hsf for your cpu

ThermalWank

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
ok-ok so I played it up on the hell thing, sue me. LOL!!! :twisted:

Anybody know of any HSF that doesnt require the MB backplate to be removed and isnt too heavy for a horizontal mount?