Disable File and Print Sharing on Workstation question.

If I have xp workstation clients that do not need to share local drives or
printers. Are there any Win2000 Active Directory Domain downfalls to
disabling "File and Print Sharing" on the clients?

JJB,

This isn't a huge problem in general but depending on your management
solutions, this can cause other problems. Things like Symantec Antivirus
and a few other applications use the C$ share to do installation.
Additionally, if you ever have to do a domain migration or something like
that, the ADMT tool uses requires that sharing be on for the workstations to
migrate.

The bottom line is. If you are going to do this, think about your future
needs and TEST this on a subset of your workstations to be sure that there
are not application problems.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"jjb" <jjb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I have xp workstation clients that do not need to share local drives or
> printers. Are there any Win2000 Active Directory Domain downfalls to
> disabling "File and Print Sharing" on the clients?

Yes, test this out completely first before shutting it down. There are also
domain specific functions that require file and print sharing turned on.

--
BRIAN EDWARDO

jjb wrote:
> If I have xp workstation clients that do not need to share local
> drives or printers. Are there any Win2000 Active Directory Domain
> downfalls to disabling "File and Print Sharing" on the clients?

I like being able to connect to the default admin shares on a remote
workstation, myself.

In addition to the other replies - since non-admins can't share anything,
and end users shouldn't have local admin rights, and shouldn't know the
local admin credentials, why bother?