Replacing original PDC

I have three controllers in my domain. I need to replace
the PDC with a new piece of hardware. Can someone tell me
the proper procedure for demoting your pdc and promoting a
bdc to take it's place.

Since I have three domain controllers that are all global
catalog controllers do I even have a true PDC?

Any help would be appreciated.

As Tomasz stated, you simply need to first determine which of the five FSMO
roles that this Domain Controller holds ( you can easily do this if you have
the Support Tools installed ----- if you do not you should consider
installing it on all of your Servers.... ) and run netdom query fsmo and you
will see which DC holds what role. The five roles are Schema Master, Domain
Naming Master, PDC Emulator, RID Master and Infrastructure Master.

Then, whatever FSMO Roles this DC holds you would need to transfer to one of
the other two remaining DCs. You can use ntdsutil to do this or you can use
the MMCs. Please take a look at the following two MSKB Articles:

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"T Sworen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have three controllers in my domain. I need to replace
> the PDC with a new piece of hardware. Can someone tell me
> the proper procedure for demoting your pdc and promoting a
> bdc to take it's place.
>
> Since I have three domain controllers that are all global
> catalog controllers do I even have a true PDC?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Opps!

Hit the send button to soon.

Here are the two MSKB Articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255504
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255690

Also, I should have included this MSKB Article on the FSMO Roles:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=197132

Do you really need to transfer the FSMO Roles that this DC holds?
Technically, no! The dcpromo process will actually do this for you. But, I
like to determine which of the two remaining DC will be the new role holder.
So, if you want to be the decision maker use either of the two Articles or
use the dcpromo process....

You also need to make sure that at least one of the two remaining DCs is a
Global Catalog Server. If you have just one domain then I would make the
suggestion that all of your DCs are also Global Catalog Servers. Next, you
need to make sure that there is a remaining DNS Server. Are you currently
running DDNS ( Active Directory Integrated DNS )? Are there two DNS
Servers? You would need to make sure that your DHCP Server reflects the
changes. Your clients will need to have correct DNS Server info.....

You will then need to make sure that any user folders/files are transferred
to another server...

Next, run the dcpromo process...

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014
Microsoft Active Directory MVP

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"T Sworen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have three controllers in my domain. I need to replace
> the PDC with a new piece of hardware. Can someone tell me
> the proper procedure for demoting your pdc and promoting a
> bdc to take it's place.
>
> Since I have three domain controllers that are all global
> catalog controllers do I even have a true PDC?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

and then can not spell 'too'....

Time to go to bed I guess!

--

T Sworen wrote:
> I have three controllers in my domain. I need to replace
> the PDC with a new piece of hardware. Can someone tell me
> the proper procedure for demoting your pdc and promoting a
> bdc to take it's place.
>
> Since I have three domain controllers that are all global
> catalog controllers do I even have a true PDC?

In the active directory domain you don't have PDC and BDC, these are
concepts from Windows NT world. All DCs are equal and are working in
multimaster environment. Some of the DCs are holding some special roles
- FSMO:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197132

These roles can be easily trasfered to another server:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=324801&product=winsvr2003
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBK/tip5100/rh5144.htm

Globla Catalog is also one of the roles, but any DC in Your network can
act as GC - You just need to configure it as GC and wait for replication
take place:
http://www.petri.co.il/configure_a_new_global_catalog.htm

To replace Your server:
1. Identify FSMO roles holded by this machines
2. Transfer these roles to other DCs
3. Make sure that one of DCs in the network (except this one which will
be demoted) is acting as GC
4. demote Your server
5. install it and promote again

--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
T.Onyszko@w2k.pl

Thank you to both of you. I have been reading up on the
KB Articles and realize the term PDC is a leftover from
out NT 4.0 days.

We will be transfering some of the roles to other domain
controllers to balance the load prior to removing the
server that is currently holding all five FSMO's.

Thanks again for your help.

TRENDING THREADS