Getting a strange bar appearing during games with widescreen

balroggie

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Hello and I hope this is the right place to discuss this - if not suggestions would be appreciated.

My system:
Dell 2405FPW 24 inch Widescreen Monitor
Asus A8N32-SLI Mobo
2 x Nvidia 7800(256mb) GTX configured in SLI

The issue: Whenever I play a game I get a strange bar on the left side of the screen with a green square in the center of it that flickers (gets taller) seemingly with the sound in the game. I believe this is a GPU/Widescreen issue as this bar does not appear on smaller monitors. It affect all games, even newer ones that have settings for 1920x1200.

Anybody else have this issue or know of a fix?

thanks!

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Seems like you have one odd problem... All I have are suggestions, never heard of this problem before.

Since you have Nvidia cards, it may imply that it is a driver issue, hence the green color of the box. Have you cruised the forums on Nvidia's website?

Quick question, does it affect anything else in the game? Like does it make your framerate dip or something?

That just gave me another idea: it may be a setting in your drivers. I know that nvidia provides the ability to monitor framerates in games, perhaps this is related to this...

That's all I got, anyone with anything more solid?

balroggie

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Your comment about checking the NVIDIA website bore fruit and I found the answer there. In thier knowledge base there is a topic labeled: "What are the green lines that appear on my screen when in SLI Mode?" The answer is that I have "Show GPU load balancing" enabled in the NVIDIA Display control panel. Clear that check box and all is well.

That is embarrasing as NVIDIA is the first place I should have gone but I was convinced that it was a monitor or Windows. Oh well. Thank you for the tip the problem is now solved!!! :)