A sad Morrowind tale

After months of playing, I finally got hold of the Moon-and-Star. By
this time, my character was absurdly muscular, and routinely
massacred any threat that came along. So the element of suspense and
uncertainty was largely gone, but of course I wanted to finish the
thing. First, then, to be recognized as Neverarine. This worked fine
for the first three tribes. When I got to the Erabenimsun, the wise
woman told me that I had to slaughter the present government of the
tribe, and warned me about how nasty they were. Actually, I had
casually disposed of those nasties a long time ago. Finding out that
I needed some stuff they carried to convince Han-Ammu to become
Ashkhan, I searched their bodies. Apparently I had taken those items
at the time I disposed of the bad guys, and sold them somewhere
in Vardenfell. But where? Impossible to say. Game over!

From which sad story I learn a valuable lesson: when you casually
slaughter bad guys, leave the corpses alone.

MERLIN

"Torkel Franzen" <torkel@sm.luth.se> skrev i en meddelelse

> After months of playing, I finally got hold of the Moon-and-Star. By
> this time, my character was absurdly muscular, and routinely
> massacred any threat that came along. So the element of suspense and
> uncertainty was largely gone, but of course I wanted to finish the
> thing. First, then, to be recognized as Neverarine. This worked fine
> for the first three tribes. When I got to the Erabenimsun, the wise
> woman told me that I had to slaughter the present government of the
> tribe, and warned me about how nasty they were. Actually, I had
> casually disposed of those nasties a long time ago. Finding out that
> I needed some stuff they carried to convince Han-Ammu to become
> Ashkhan, I searched their bodies. Apparently I had taken those items
> at the time I disposed of the bad guys, and sold them somewhere
> in Vardenfell. But where? Impossible to say. Game over!
>
> From which sad story I learn a valuable lesson: when you casually
> slaughter bad guys, leave the corpses alone.

when you follow the normal course of the quest,
killing those people would have resulted in a
new journal entry. The wise woman's actions
or replies are based upon whether you have that
particular journal entry or not. if your only option
is to start a new character, you can find info about
the relevant journal entries under the wise woman's
dialogue options in the editor.and insert the 'update'
manually

merlin

"Merlin" <pbech@danprofit.com> writes:

> when you follow the normal course of the quest,
> killing those people would have resulted in a
> new journal entry.

Yes, but that entry just said that I had killed the warlike leaders
of the tribe and that it probably couldn't be helped.

Thanks for your tips! However, I'm not returning to the game, since
it would be rather too tedious to work my character up to level 85 again.
However, even though I didn't actually finish the Nerevarine stuff,
I've had lots of enjoyment from Morrowind, which must count as one of
the great games.

"Torkel Franzen" <torkel@sm.luth.se> wrote in message

> From which sad story I learn a valuable lesson: when you casually
> slaughter bad guys, leave the corpses alone.

The rule I am following, having read about such problems, is to never
dispose of named items. If I don't want to carry them around, I have a box
in Balmora just for such things.

On 15 May 2004 13:21:26 +0200, Torkel Franzen <torkel@sm.luth.se> wrote:

> "Merlin" <pbech@danprofit.com> writes:
>
>> when you follow the normal course of the quest,
>> killing those people would have resulted in a
>> new journal entry.
>
> Yes, but that entry just said that I had killed the warlike leaders
> of the tribe and that it probably couldn't be helped.

Try this:
Get yourself Erur Dan's Robe by entering the console and typing
"placeatpc Robe_of_Erur_Dan 1,1,1"
Pick up the robe and talk to Han-Ammu about "want to be ashkhan".
Just show him the robe and make a little speech.
That did the trick for me.

Concerning
> From which sad story I learn a valuable lesson: when you casually
> slaughter bad guys, leave the corpses alone

That's a bad idea. If you casually kill someone, strip his/her body
of all possessions and put them on the floor. The corpse will vanish
within a few days thus making it impossible to get that person's
belongings.

Bjoern Liffers <bjoernhenning.liffers@dialup.fh-aachen.de> writes:

> That's a bad idea. If you casually kill someone, strip his/her body
> of all possessions and put them on the floor. The corpse will vanish
> within a few days thus making it impossible to get that person's
> belongings.

Not always. In the case of the belligerent ashkhan and his cronies,
the bodies remained when I returned there a long time after killing
them, and when I tried to dispose of the corpses, the game said I
couldn't. So if I had just left them untouched, their possessions
would have remained. So the designers of the game thought of this, and
I can't blame them for the fact that I had dispersed the items across
Vardenfell.

Torkel Franzen wrote:

> After months of playing, I finally got hold of the Moon-and-Star. By
> this time, my character was absurdly muscular, and routinely
> massacred any threat that came along. So the element of suspense and
> uncertainty was largely gone, but of course I wanted to finish the
> thing. First, then, to be recognized as Neverarine. This worked fine
> for the first three tribes. When I got to the Erabenimsun, the wise
> woman told me that I had to slaughter the present government of the
> tribe, and warned me about how nasty they were. Actually, I had
> casually disposed of those nasties a long time ago. Finding out that
> I needed some stuff they carried to convince Han-Ammu to become
> Ashkhan, I searched their bodies. Apparently I had taken those items
> at the time I disposed of the bad guys, and sold them somewhere
> in Vardenfell. But where? Impossible to say. Game over!

No, no, no. You should still be able to persuade him. Increase your
speechcraft, if necessary, and go for it. I have managed to persuade
him without actually giving him the items. Give it a whirl.

Terry Reedy wrote:

> The rule I am following, having read about such problems, is to never
> dispose of named items. If I don't want to carry them around, I have a box
> in Balmora just for such things.

I use the Ogrim Trader In Caldera mod, and my solution is to sell
EVERYTHING to this one vendor. That way, if I need something back, I
know where to get it! :)

> Bjoern Liffers <bjoernhenning.liffers@dialup.fh-aachen.de> writes:
>
> > That's a bad idea. If you casually kill someone, strip his/her body
> > of all possessions and put them on the floor. The corpse will vanish
> > within a few days thus making it impossible to get that person's
> > belongings.
>
> Not always. In the case of the belligerent ashkhan and his cronies,
> the bodies remained when I returned there a long time after killing
> them, and when I tried to dispose of the corpses, the game said I
> couldn't. So if I had just left them untouched, their possessions
> would have remained. So the designers of the game thought of this, and
> I can't blame them for the fact that I had dispersed the items across
> Vardenfell.

lol..

I see your point. This game is full of loopholes like this.

Try this on for size, though. Start a new game, but instead of
concentrating on leveling your character, just do what you can for qwests so
you can make money and advance in the game. My first go with Morrowind was
similar to yours. I concentrated on exploring mercilessly, and I never left
a cave unconquored. I found myself at a ridiculous level fairly early, and
played on for weeks without a real challenge. Needless to say, I got bored.

I saw the game of the year version, with both expansion packs, for ten bucks
at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago, so I gave it another shot. This time, I
did all of the minor qwests in the beginning cities before I moved on. I
soon found myself immersed in several qwests that were actually
challenging...and a few I can't complete yet because I'm not powerful
enough. The game sure is a lot more fun, though, when it's done with
purpose. When I get a qwest to go to a dungeon, it's not only to advance in
that particular guild....it's also to bring back loot so I can fund my
effort. Lately, I've been concentrating my efforts on levelling my
character how I want to. My goal is to always have at least a four point
boost to two different attributes while consistantly adding one to luck. If
I get another one worth three points, I'll take it instead of luck. I only
invest in skills that don't help me level, though. I never buy any of the
major skills. In fact, I set my character up so that the easiest skills to
master (like short blade, destruction, and acrobatics) didn't count towards
advancement. I like being able to level up slowly while using all of the
extra acrobatic experience I gain to put towards strenght when I do finally
level. It's free:)

I set it up essentially so that I almost always have to buy my next level.
The major skills are ones I rarely use....like mysticism and alteration.
However, they are skills that will come in handy in the future, and
advancing my knowledge in them will only help even if it does cost money.

It's an interesting way to level up. I'm currently at level 6, and am
finding eveything a challenge.

Give it a try. I've been able to re-immerse myself in the game.

Or maybe you need a break like I did.

MERLIN

"Torkel Franzen" <torkel@sm.luth.se> skrev i en meddelelse
> Bjoern Liffers <bjoernhenning.liffers@dialup.fh-aachen.de> writes:
>
> > That's a bad idea. If you casually kill someone, strip his/her body
> > of all possessions and put them on the floor. The corpse will vanish
> > within a few days thus making it impossible to get that person's
> > belongings.
>
> Not always. In the case of the belligerent ashkhan and his cronies,
> the bodies remained when I returned there a long time after killing
> them, and when I tried to dispose of the corpses, the game said I
> couldn't. So if I had just left them untouched, their possessions
> would have remained. So the designers of the game thought of this, and
> I can't blame them for the fact that I had dispersed the items across
> Vardenfell.

There are two kinds af corpses. Those that plays somme part in a quest
and the rest. The first group will
be lying around forever. They are marked like this in the game. The second
group, the rest, will 'rot' away after
a couple of days, if they are not disposed of, right away
The ´npc's screen in the editor has various check boxes. One is named
'permanence'. And it is this, that
are either checked or not checked. Another one is named 'respawn'. If this
is checked, the npc will 'resurrect' after a couple of time

merlin