The latest on BullDozer

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
WHile searching for links, I came across this beauty of a tidbit from early in June. It maybe old news but I don't remember it.

I'm just really impressed by AMDs ability to keep progressing in the face of the Intel marketing machine.

Everyone has to admit it is surprising that they got this far this fast since Opteron released.

I think this is also relevant as the dual core K8L. The site has something that may or may not be a die shot of it. AMD does have more design teams now.

http://news.com.com/Critical+Mass.+for+AMDs+chip+designs/2100-1006_3-5371721.html

Anyway as to the link her it is. Enjoy or not.

BullDozer reemerges as K8L dual.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
This is a cad plot, not a die shot.
He posted this BS, before, month or two ago. He is in depression and he feels very owned. He thinks that with such BS he can give back to those who he thinks that are Intel fanboys.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
owned.jpg

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
This is a cad plot, not a die shot.
He posted this BS, before, month or two ago. He is in depression and he feels very owned. He thinks that with such BS he can give back to those who he thinks that are Intel fanboys.

Ummmmmm.... I know I posted about BullDozer. I don't remeber it being this link. Excuse me if I've offended thee sire.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I had a look at that story when it first came out and I still can't figure out what's so special about that die diagram. If you compare it with the diagrams of K8L AMD's shown, I don't believe any of the improvements are implemented. The additional set of FPUs (ie the 2 dedicated SSE units) are not present, neither is a supposed fourth decoder nor can I see clear expanded Out of Order resources. In fact, that die diagram (specifically the core microarchitecture sans cache) appears to be virtually the same, if not identical to the current K8 implementation.

The article mentions 2MB cache per core, but that's unrealistic given AMD's recent strategy shift and the diagram appears to only show 1MB of L2 per core anyways. 2MB per core is unlikely since higher cache is now an Opteron only feature. Besides, current high-end Turion64 X2s only have 512k per core L2 anyways, with the lowest model only having 256k, so doubling to 1MB would already be more than sufficient.

The main difference I see is the thickening of the HT pads above and around the core which I guess may be the HT3.0 and the additional power throttling logic. What doesn't make sense though is the DDR2 (presumably) pads which are on the sides of the cache and should extend below the cache as well. The part below is missing although it may just be the diagram is cut off, otherwise I don't think the DDR2 pads would be nearly big enough.

I should note that although I mention that the HT pads look thicker, that is relative to Rev E dual cores. The HT pads on Rev F are actually thicker than Rev E and actually in line with this die diagram. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that this die diagram might actually be the Rev F Turion64 X2 just with the bottom DDR2 pad cut off.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I had a look at that story when it first came out and I still can't figure out what's so special about that die diagram. If you compare it with the diagrams of K8L AMD's shown, I don't believe any of the improvements are implemented. The additional set of FPUs (ie the 2 dedicated SSE units) are not present, neither is a supposed fourth decoder nor can I see clear expanded Out of Order resources. In fact, that die diagram (specifically the core microarchitecture sans cache) appears to be virtually the same, if not identical to the current K8 implementation.

The article mentions 2MB cache per core, but that's unrealistic given AMD's recent strategy shift and the diagram appears to only show 1MB of L2 per core anyways. 2MB per core is unlikely since higher cache is now an Opteron only feature. Besides, current high-end Turion64 X2s only have 512k per core L2 anyways, with the lowest model only having 256k, so doubling to 1MB would already be more than sufficient.

The main difference I see is the thickening of the HT pads above and around the core which I guess may be the HT3.0 and the additional power throttling logic. What doesn't make sense though is the DDR2 (presumably) pads which are on the sides of the cache and should extend below the cache as well. The part below is missing although it may just be the diagram is cut off, otherwise I don't think the DDR2 pads would be nearly big enough.

I should note that although I mention that the HT pads look thicker, that is relative to Rev E dual cores. The HT pads on Rev F are actually thicker than Rev E and actually in line with this die diagram. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that this die diagram might actually be the Rev F Turion64 X2 just with the bottom DDR2 pad cut off.

I guess you have to take into account that this si a 65nm chip which will have finer features and more relative die space..

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I guess you have to take into account that this si a 65nm chip which will have finer features and more relative die space..
I guess you have to take into account that you post BS which is extremly biased, again you've made an idiot of your self and again you've been brutaly owned.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
WHile searching for links, I came across this beauty of a tidbit from early in June. It maybe old news but I don't remember it.

I'm just really impressed by AMDs ability to keep progressing in the face of the Intel marketing machine.

Everyone has to admit it is surprising that they got this far this fast since Opteron released.

I think this is also relevant as the dual core K8L. The site has something that may or may not be a die shot of it. AMD does have more design teams now.

http://news.com.com/Critical+Mass.+for+AMDs+chip+designs/2100-1006_3-5371721.html

Anyway as to the link her it is. Enjoy or not.

BullDozer reemerges as K8L dual.

Looks a good laptop design. Performance increase aside, it's only got to save more battery life: The P3 architecture of intel's mobiles is too old to compete in performance even with current AMD mobiles.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Looks a good laptop design. Performance increase aside, it's only got to save more battery life: The P3 architecture of intel's mobiles is too old to compete in performance even with current AMD mobiles.
Looks good on papers.
Intel always had better mobile computers: faster and more power efficient. AMD never had mobile platform & CPUs competetive to Intel.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Looks good on papers.
Intel always had better mobile computers: faster and more power efficient. AMD never had mobile platform & CPUs competetive to Intel.

They didn't even have a server chip... :D They strike where you less expect them to. Laptops is the strongest (and eventually most left aside intel domain) and with all the rumours on the desktom performance crown, this would be the best move AMD can do: never hit your opponent twice in the same place.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I think this song needs to be a delta blues riff... :lol:
Right on. Low down dirty blues. Instead of a "Hellhound on my trail", maybe how about: "AMDs Blues: Conroe on my tail." Piddy, if you can incorporate delta blues into rap, you'll be the originator of a whole new genre. Delta Rap. You'll have to cut Rich in for having the delta angle and Jack for calling you out in the first place. I'll only need about 15% for acting as coordinator and for giving you a specific focus and title. Be sure not to turn Hellhound into a piece of fluff like Clapton did a few years ago. What a travesty that was. If you don't have Robert Johnson's original and/or can't find a copy, I can get you one. If all you need are the lyrics, you can work with these:

--------------------------
Hellhound on My Trail

Robert Johnson
-------------

I got to keep moving, I got to keep moving
Blues falling down like hail, blues falling down like hail
Mmm, blues falling down like hail, blues falling down like hail
And the day keeps on remindin' me, there's a hellhound on my trail
Hellhound on my trail, hellhound on my trail

If today was Christmas eve, if today was Christmas eve
And tomorrow was Christmas day
If today was Christmas eve and tomorrow was Christmas day
All I would need is my little sweet rider
Just to pass the time away, to pass the time away

You sprinkled hot foot powder, mmm, around my door
All around my door
You sprinkled hot foot powder, all around your daddy's door
It keeps me with ramblin' mind rider
Every old place I go, every old place I go

I can tell the wind is risin', the leaves tremblin' on the tree
Tremblin' on the tree
I can tell the wind is risin', leaves tremblin' on the tree
All I need is my little sweet woman
And to keep my company, hey, hey, hey, hey, my company

------------------

Isn't that "blues falling down like hail" supremely ironic? Also the bit about if today was Christmas eve - wouldn't AMD like to fast forward to K8L release? Hilarious!