Recovering Domain Controller from very old backup

Hi all

I'm a bit of a newbie to domain controllers but nevertheless I'm the one to
cleanup the mess.
We have the situation that an one out of two domain controller crashed
(harddisk failure) but the only backup we have is a Ghost backup 6 months old
(not my bad). We now have to get this domain controller back online and I
would like to ask you what the best procedure for this is.

I would propose the following but maybe there is an easier way. At least I
would very much appreciate it:

- load ghost backup on DC2
- remove Active directory on DC2 with dcpromo /forceremoval
- cleanup Active Directory in DC1 with ntdsutil (metadata cleanup, etc):
removes DC2 from AD.
- add DC2 back into the domain as additional domain controller.

What you think? or is there a better way?

I very much appreciate your help. Many thanks in advance!

cheers, mike
4 answers Last reply
More about recovering domain controller backup

    "Mike_68" <Mike68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > I'm a bit of a newbie to domain controllers but nevertheless I'm the one
    > cleanup the mess.
    > We have the situation that an one out of two domain controller crashed
    > (harddisk failure) but the only backup we have is a Ghost backup 6 months
    old
    > (not my bad). We now have to get this domain controller back online and I
    > would like to ask you what the best procedure for this is.

    Don't do it (online), especially if it is over six months old.

    There is no need to do this since you can just
    DCPromo another DC.

    The only real reasons for doing this are if you were
    to have NO other DC, or need that particular machine
    for non-DC functions.

    > I would propose the following but maybe there is an easier way. At least I
    > would very much appreciate it:
    >
    > - load ghost backup on DC2

    Only while fully offline so that NO replication can
    take place.

    > - remove Active directory on DC2 with dcpromo /forceremoval
    > - cleanup Active Directory in DC1 with ntdsutil (metadata cleanup, etc):
    > removes DC2 from AD.
    > - add DC2 back into the domain as additional domain controller.
    >
    > What you think? or is there a better way?

    One assumes you need something that is non-DC
    related.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > cheers, mike

    Hi Herb Martin

    Many thanks for your quick answer.
    Unfortunately we have no other DC on site and have to reuse this one. But
    even if we had one don't you have to delete the crashed DC out of the AD? And
    then the new DC also has to have a different name, right?

    With the proposed procedure I reckon I'm able to add the repaired PC back
    into the domain as a secondary DC, with the same name as before. (A different
    name would lead to several changes on other PCs within the domain).

    However, at the end we need two redundant DCs running again.

    kind regards,
    mike

    > Hi Herb Martin
    >
    > Many thanks for your quick answer.
    > Unfortunately we have no other DC on site and have to reuse this one. But
    > even if we had one don't you have to delete the crashed DC out of the AD?
    And
    > then the new DC also has to have a different name, right?

    The name is likely reusable (I have done it.)

    You must however DCPromo OUT and back to make
    it an (effective and safe) DC again.

    You aren't really recovering the "DC" but merely the
    rest of the server functionality and data.

    > With the proposed procedure I reckon I'm able to add the repaired PC back
    > into the domain as a secondary DC, with the same name as before. (A
    different
    > name would lead to several changes on other PCs within the domain).

    The name should work.

    You might wish to also REMOVE the DC object
    from AD (NTDSUtil "metadata cleanup") after you
    do the force removal. And kill the computer account
    using ADSIutil.

    All before you do the new DCPromo to make that
    machine a NEW DC.

    > However, at the end we need two redundant DCs running again.

    Good.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > kind regards,
    > mike
    >
    > "Herb Martin" wrote:
    >
    > > "Mike_68" <Mike68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi all
    > > >
    > > > I'm a bit of a newbie to domain controllers but nevertheless I'm the
    one
    > > > cleanup the mess.
    > > > We have the situation that an one out of two domain controller crashed
    > > > (harddisk failure) but the only backup we have is a Ghost backup 6
    months
    > > old
    > > > (not my bad). We now have to get this domain controller back online
    and I
    > > > would like to ask you what the best procedure for this is.
    > >
    > > Don't do it (online), especially if it is over six months old.
    > >
    > > There is no need to do this since you can just
    > > DCPromo another DC.
    > >
    > > The only real reasons for doing this are if you were
    > > to have NO other DC, or need that particular machine
    > > for non-DC functions.
    > >
    > > > I would propose the following but maybe there is an easier way. At
    least I
    > > > would very much appreciate it:
    > > >
    > > > - load ghost backup on DC2
    > >
    > > Only while fully offline so that NO replication can
    > > take place.
    > >
    > > > - remove Active directory on DC2 with dcpromo /forceremoval
    > > > - cleanup Active Directory in DC1 with ntdsutil (metadata cleanup,
    etc):
    > > > removes DC2 from AD.
    > > > - add DC2 back into the domain as additional domain controller.
    > > >
    > > > What you think? or is there a better way?
    > >
    > > One assumes you need something that is non-DC
    > > related.
    > >
    > > > I very much appreciate your help. Many thanks in advance!
    > >

    > > --
    > > Herb Martin
    > >

    > > > cheers, mike

    Many thanks for your help!

    cheers, mike

Backup Domain Controller Active Directory Windows