event id 1054 and other group policy problems

Hi, I'm not sure if it's the right group.. sorry if it's not.
Here is my problem:
I have an ad structure with 2 DC on top of the forest (call it domain
AAA), one of them is the DNS server. I have a "child" domain (call it
BBB) Recently I installed a second dc, HYPER (w2k3)in the BBB domain,
demotes the old one (was w2k). So far so good, transfered all the roles
to the new one.
But one thing happened when I demoted the old DC, it was saying that it
beleives it was the last one in the domain (which was wrong, as the new
one was working fine). SO I force-demotes it, and here comes trouble. I
have this event 1054 every 5 minutes :

Source Userenv : Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for
your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or
could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

And I have also the 1030 error (Userenv too):

Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the
event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine
that describes the reason for this.

One other thing is that I cannot log on remotely using remote desktop
connection on the server of the BBB domain (HYPER), I have to log on
the AAA domain so that I can manage it. I can logon ON the server
locally though. I read about all the other postings about these errors,
none helped. I have the ip address of the dns server in AAA as primary
dns on HYPER, netbios over tcp/ip etc..

Another thing is that I cannot use either domain controller or domain
security policy. I get this window saying:
Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have appropriate
rights. Details: The network path was not found.

Any hint or help (besides reinstalling everything) greatly appreciated.
Simon

you have big problems man ... Before you demote the first DC from BBB have
you checked if was having any errors in logs? From what I have read .... you
haven't do 2 things. You didn't transfer the DNS role to the other DC and
you didn't promote it to a GC (you already have a GC in AAA domain but none
of the clients can't access it because of the DNS). You'll need this things
in order to work.
You can search www.eventid.net for your error messages but first resolve the
DNS problem.

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net

"Ezakimak" <simoncusonnet@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm not sure if it's the right group.. sorry if it's not.
> Here is my problem:
> I have an ad structure with 2 DC on top of the forest (call it domain
> AAA), one of them is the DNS server. I have a "child" domain (call it
> BBB) Recently I installed a second dc, HYPER (w2k3)in the BBB domain,
> demotes the old one (was w2k). So far so good, transfered all the roles
> to the new one.
> But one thing happened when I demoted the old DC, it was saying that it
> beleives it was the last one in the domain (which was wrong, as the new
> one was working fine). SO I force-demotes it, and here comes trouble. I
> have this event 1054 every 5 minutes :
>
> Source Userenv : Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for
> your computer network. (The specified domain either does not exist or
> could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing aborted.
>
> And I have also the 1030 error (Userenv too):
>
> Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the
> event log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine
> that describes the reason for this.
>
> One other thing is that I cannot log on remotely using remote desktop
> connection on the server of the BBB domain (HYPER), I have to log on
> the AAA domain so that I can manage it. I can logon ON the server
> locally though. I read about all the other postings about these errors,
> none helped. I have the ip address of the dns server in AAA as primary
> dns on HYPER, netbios over tcp/ip etc..
>
> Another thing is that I cannot use either domain controller or domain
> security policy. I get this window saying:
> Failed to open the Group Policy Object. You may not have appropriate
> rights. Details: The network path was not found.
>
> Any hint or help (besides reinstalling everything) greatly appreciated.
> Simon

Ok, I know I have big problems. There were only 3 roles that I could
transfer. And DNS was not one of them, as the DNS "master" is one of
the servers in AAA. I just put its address in the 1st DNS server in
tcp/ip config. And no, I didn't chek the old dc events :-(
If I understood well, I have to put HYPER as a Global Cat ? And I
checked event id too :-(

Tks anyway

Simon