new cpu cooller for opty 165

monkey999

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
i got an opty 165 and a a8n5x asus mobo i like to over clock and what cooler would be a good choice right now im at 2100mhz but its a lil hot some thing easy to instal
hows the artic freezer 64

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
It's very good - and a bargain at £13 here in the UK.

The only reason I'd look elsewhere is if I wanted to build a quiet PC. That would mean something from Scythe. A Ninja if you can get away with passive (I think you might). If not there's probably not much difference between the Ninja and a Mine in terms of cooling performance / noise. The Mine is a little easier to fit and more compact than a Ninja with a big, 120mm fan hanging off the side.

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
I have an Arctic Freezer 64 Pro and they are great. The heat pipe stock cooler for the opterons is generally pretty good and you won't see much of a difference dropping in a freezer 64 pro. You will see a small cooling advantage by going with a ninja, mine or tunic tower. However, 3'C is about as much as you can hope for.

To get significant cooling results you'll have to go with water cooling, phase change or peltier. Although, there are not exactly for the weak of heart!