What's the right way to implement a user name change?

I have a user who was recently married and she has a new name.

It would be nice if I did not have to create a "new" profile for her. I
tried this with a test user and it was easy enough for me to change the
name, display name and account. However the name displayed in ADUC does not
change. My users also have their My documents redirected to the file server.
This is in a folder with the same name as their profile. Will she become
disconnected form her My Documents?

This has got to happen all the time at other shops. I their a recommended
method for handling profile/name changes?

FWIW there is an exchange email address in play here as well.

Thanks,

Steve
4 answers Last reply
More about what implement user change

    "Stephen M" <smeier-spamless@primelink1.net> wrote in message
    > I have a user who was recently married and she has a new name.
    >
    > It would be nice if I did not have to create a "new" profile for her. I
    > tried this with a test user and it was easy enough for me to change the
    > name, display name and account. However the name displayed in ADUC does
    not
    > change.

    Then you have missed something (display name or some such.)
    You can change the name.

    > My users also have their My documents redirected to the file server.

    > This is in a folder with the same name as their profile. Will she become
    > disconnected form her My Documents?

    No, but the folder will have the old name (not usually seen)
    unless you dig for it.

    > This has got to happen all the time at other shops. I their a recommended
    > method for handling profile/name changes?
    >
    > FWIW there is an exchange email address in play here as well.

    Check with the Exchange folks; I haven't done this part.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    Right-click on the user object and choose rename.

    The 'display name' that you refer to is probably the full name. Change
    this, as well as the surname (you've probably already changed the surname in
    the user properties).

    This won't affect exchange. If the e-mail address needs changing, go to the
    e-mail addresses tab and add another SMTP address. Don't remove the old
    one. Just set the new one to primary. If you're using X400 you may need to
    change that, or again add another.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net
    http://forums.msresource.net

    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Right-click on the user object and choose rename.

    I figured that out this morning...... D'oh!

    Thanks Paul

    > The 'display name' that you refer to is probably the full name. Change
    > this, as well as the surname (you've probably already changed the surname
    in
    > the user properties).
    >
    > This won't affect exchange. If the e-mail address needs changing, go to
    the
    > e-mail addresses tab and add another SMTP address. Don't remove the old
    > one. Just set the new one to primary. If you're using X400 you may need
    > change that, or again add another.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net
    > http://forums.msresource.net
    >

    > "Stephen M" <smeier-spamless@primelink1.net> wrote in message
    > I have a user who was recently married and she has a new name.
    >
    > It would be nice if I did not have to create a "new" profile for her. I
    > tried this with a test user and it was easy enough for me to change the
    > name, display name and account. However the name displayed in ADUC does
    not
    > change. My users also have their My documents redirected to the file
    server.
    > This is in a folder with the same name as their profile. Will she become
    > disconnected form her My Documents?
    >
    > This has got to happen all the time at other shops. I their a recommended
    > method for handling profile/name changes?
    >
    > FWIW there is an exchange email address in play here as well.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    No sweat!!!

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net
    http://forums.msresource.net

    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Right-click on the user object and choose rename.

    I figured that out this morning...... D'oh!

    Thanks Paul

    > The 'display name' that you refer to is probably the full name. Change
    > this, as well as the surname (you've probably already changed the surname
    in
    > the user properties).
    >
    > This won't affect exchange. If the e-mail address needs changing, go to
    the
    > e-mail addresses tab and add another SMTP address. Don't remove the old
    > one. Just set the new one to primary. If you're using X400 you may need
    > change that, or again add another.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net
    > http://forums.msresource.net
    >

    > "Stephen M" <smeier-spamless@primelink1.net> wrote in message
    > I have a user who was recently married and she has a new name.
    >
    > It would be nice if I did not have to create a "new" profile for her. I
    > tried this with a test user and it was easy enough for me to change the
    > name, display name and account. However the name displayed in ADUC does
    not
    > change. My users also have their My documents redirected to the file
    server.
    > This is in a folder with the same name as their profile. Will she become
    > disconnected form her My Documents?
    >
    > This has got to happen all the time at other shops. I their a recommended
    > method for handling profile/name changes?
    >
    > FWIW there is an exchange email address in play here as well.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

My Documents Active Directory Windows