Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AD replication

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
January 21, 2005 3:04:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Running 2000 DCs with no sites defined but two domains separated by T1.
Everything runs fine but replication takes much too long between the
domains. When adding a new user or changing a password in one domain it
won't take effect in the other domain sometimes for hours. Without putting
domains in separate sites (T1 is fast and reliable) how can I change (or
manually force) replication between domains? Thanks in advance.

More about : replication

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 5:48:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

"Randy" <msnews@taoman.mailshell.com> wrote in message
news:o ztM1R$$EHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Running 2000 DCs with no sites defined but two domains separated by T1.

Ok, that works generally but doesn't allow you to
control the time and frequency of replication.

They will replicate as if they are on the same LAN IF
they replicate.

Two domains will only replicate certain info, and not
unless they are in the same forest.


> Everything runs fine but replication takes much too long between the
> domains. When adding a new user or changing a password in one domain it
> won't take effect in the other domain sometimes for hours.


? That sounds like you DO have sites defined.

But you cannot really expect a USER account to ever
fully replicate to another Domain -- only the GC,
Schema, and Configuration replicates across domains
(in the same forest.)

User accounts are partially replicated to the (other)
GCs of the forest.

Make sure that a DC (or more) in each site is a GC.


You might want to recheck Sites and Services and
make sure that both DCs really show in the Default
(or whatever name) site.

GC setting is in there too.

> Without putting
> domains in separate sites (T1 is fast and reliable) how can I change (or
> manually force) replication between domains? Thanks in advance.

What are you specifically expecting to replicate?
January 21, 2005 5:48:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

There is only one site which both domains are in. One forest. Definitely
have GC servers in both domains.

Examples:

Admins in both domains have rights to administer in both domains.

Admin 1 in Domain A runs ADU&C in Domain A to add a user from Domain B to a
group membership for Domain B. The new user doesn't actually show up as
being a member of the group in Domain B (from Domain B's perspective)
sometimes for hours although when looking in ADU&C in Domain A (and changing
the domain, of course) the user is there. Isn't this a replication issue?

Exchange servers exist in both domains but OWA front-end server is in Domain
A which users in Domain B go thru to access their email from home. User
from Domain B forgets their password and calls admin from Domain B to change
their password. Admin from Domain B does change their password immediately
but OWA server in Domain A doesn't seem to recognize that password change
again, sometimes for hours. Isn't that also a replication issue?

These types of issues are fairly rare but happen often enough to be
troublesome. It seems to me I should be able to increase replication
schedule between the two domains or at the very least to manually force
replication so these password changes, group membership changes, etc happen
quicker between the domains. Is this not possible or am I barking up the
wrong tree?

I realize in the first example I could probably point my ADU&C to a Domain B
DC but I don't think that would work in second example as the password
change has to be replicated in both domains before user could login to OWA.
Or am I clueless?


>
> Ok, that works generally but doesn't allow you to
> control the time and frequency of replication.
>
> They will replicate as if they are on the same LAN IF
> they replicate.
>
> Two domains will only replicate certain info, and not
> unless they are in the same forest.
>
>
> > Everything runs fine but replication takes much too long between the
> > domains. When adding a new user or changing a password in one domain it
> > won't take effect in the other domain sometimes for hours.
>
>
> ? That sounds like you DO have sites defined.
>
> But you cannot really expect a USER account to ever
> fully replicate to another Domain -- only the GC,
> Schema, and Configuration replicates across domains
> (in the same forest.)
>
> User accounts are partially replicated to the (other)
> GCs of the forest.
>
> Make sure that a DC (or more) in each site is a GC.
>
>
> You might want to recheck Sites and Services and
> make sure that both DCs really show in the Default
> (or whatever name) site.
>
> GC setting is in there too.
>
> > Without putting
> > domains in separate sites (T1 is fast and reliable) how can I change (or
> > manually force) replication between domains? Thanks in advance.
>
> What are you specifically expecting to replicate?
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 8:48:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

As Herb says, you really don't get to control the replication between
domains like that. You are basically asking: "Without using the tools
designed to control replication, how do I control replication?"


--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA
Flagship Integration Services

"Randy" <msnews@taoman.mailshell.com> wrote in message
news:o ztM1R$$EHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Running 2000 DCs with no sites defined but two domains separated by T1.
> Everything runs fine but replication takes much too long between the
> domains. When adding a new user or changing a password in one domain it
> won't take effect in the other domain sometimes for hours. Without
putting
> domains in separate sites (T1 is fast and reliable) how can I change (or
> manually force) replication between domains? Thanks in advance.
>
>
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 9:45:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

"Randy" <msnews@taoman.mailshell.com> wrote in message
news:eybkUeAAFHA.2552@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> There is only one site which both domains are in. One forest. Definitely
> have GC servers in both domains.

The key is GCs per site (not domain) but as long as
that works out it doesn't matter.

> Examples:
>
> Admins in both domains have rights to administer in both domains.
>
> Admin 1 in Domain A runs ADU&C in Domain A to add a user from Domain B to
a
> group membership for Domain B.

Well, that doesn't require replication outside the same
domain -- UNLESS the Group is a Universal group.

It a user from EITHER domain is added to a group in
Domain B, domain B knows about it immediately (upon
replication within that same domain.)

> The new user doesn't actually show up as
> being a member of the group in Domain B (from Domain B's perspective)
> sometimes for hours although when looking in ADU&C in Domain A (and
changing
> the domain, of course) the user is there. Isn't this a replication issue?

AD U&C runs against a DC in the domain where the
changes are made -- it matters not which domain
controller is runs FROM.

AD U&C could as well run on an XP workstation etc.

> Exchange servers exist in both domains but OWA front-end server is in
Domain
> A which users in Domain B go thru to access their email from home. User
> from Domain B forgets their password and calls admin from Domain B to
change
> their password. Admin from Domain B does change their password
immediately
> but OWA server in Domain A doesn't seem to recognize that password change
> again, sometimes for hours. Isn't that also a replication issue?
>
> These types of issues are fairly rare but happen often enough to be
> troublesome. It seems to me I should be able to increase replication
> schedule between the two domains or at the very least to manually force
> replication so these password changes, group membership changes, etc
happen
> quicker between the domains. Is this not possible or am I barking up the
> wrong tree?
>
> I realize in the first example I could probably point my ADU&C to a Domain
B
> DC but I don't think that would work in second example as the password
> change has to be replicated in both domains before user could login to
OWA.
> Or am I clueless?

You have to make a change in Domain B while connected
to domain B.

> > Ok, that works generally but doesn't allow you to
> > control the time and frequency of replication.
> >
> > They will replicate as if they are on the same LAN IF
> > they replicate.
> >
> > Two domains will only replicate certain info, and not
> > unless they are in the same forest.
> >
> >
> > > Everything runs fine but replication takes much too long between the
> > > domains. When adding a new user or changing a password in one domain
it
> > > won't take effect in the other domain sometimes for hours.
> >
> >
> > ? That sounds like you DO have sites defined.
> >
> > But you cannot really expect a USER account to ever
> > fully replicate to another Domain -- only the GC,
> > Schema, and Configuration replicates across domains
> > (in the same forest.)
> >
> > User accounts are partially replicated to the (other)
> > GCs of the forest.
> >
> > Make sure that a DC (or more) in each site is a GC.
> >
> >
> > You might want to recheck Sites and Services and
> > make sure that both DCs really show in the Default
> > (or whatever name) site.
> >
> > GC setting is in there too.
> >
> > > Without putting
> > > domains in separate sites (T1 is fast and reliable) how can I change
(or
> > > manually force) replication between domains? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > What are you specifically expecting to replicate?
> >
> >
>
>
!