AD replication

Running 2000 DCs with no sites defined but two domains separated by T1.
Everything runs fine but replication takes much too long between the
domains. When adding a new user or changing a password in one domain it
won't take effect in the other domain sometimes for hours. Without putting
domains in separate sites (T1 is fast and reliable) how can I change (or
manually force) replication between domains? Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about replication

    "Randy" <msnews@taoman.mailshell.com> wrote in message
    > Running 2000 DCs with no sites defined but two domains separated by T1.

    Ok, that works generally but doesn't allow you to
    control the time and frequency of replication.

    They will replicate as if they are on the same LAN IF
    they replicate.

    Two domains will only replicate certain info, and not
    unless they are in the same forest.

    > Everything runs fine but replication takes much too long between the
    > domains. When adding a new user or changing a password in one domain it
    > won't take effect in the other domain sometimes for hours.

    ? That sounds like you DO have sites defined.

    But you cannot really expect a USER account to ever
    fully replicate to another Domain -- only the GC,
    Schema, and Configuration replicates across domains
    (in the same forest.)

    User accounts are partially replicated to the (other)
    GCs of the forest.

    Make sure that a DC (or more) in each site is a GC.

    You might want to recheck Sites and Services and
    make sure that both DCs really show in the Default
    (or whatever name) site.

    GC setting is in there too.

    > Without putting
    > domains in separate sites (T1 is fast and reliable) how can I change (or
    > manually force) replication between domains? Thanks in advance.

    What are you specifically expecting to replicate?

    There is only one site which both domains are in. One forest. Definitely
    have GC servers in both domains.

    Examples:

    Admins in both domains have rights to administer in both domains.

    Admin 1 in Domain A runs ADU&C in Domain A to add a user from Domain B to a
    group membership for Domain B. The new user doesn't actually show up as
    being a member of the group in Domain B (from Domain B's perspective)
    sometimes for hours although when looking in ADU&C in Domain A (and changing
    the domain, of course) the user is there. Isn't this a replication issue?

    Exchange servers exist in both domains but OWA front-end server is in Domain
    A which users in Domain B go thru to access their email from home. User
    from Domain B forgets their password and calls admin from Domain B to change
    their password. Admin from Domain B does change their password immediately
    but OWA server in Domain A doesn't seem to recognize that password change
    again, sometimes for hours. Isn't that also a replication issue?

    These types of issues are fairly rare but happen often enough to be
    troublesome. It seems to me I should be able to increase replication
    schedule between the two domains or at the very least to manually force
    replication so these password changes, group membership changes, etc happen
    quicker between the domains. Is this not possible or am I barking up the
    wrong tree?

    I realize in the first example I could probably point my ADU&C to a Domain B
    DC but I don't think that would work in second example as the password
    change has to be replicated in both domains before user could login to OWA.
    Or am I clueless?

    > Ok, that works generally but doesn't allow you to
    > control the time and frequency of replication.
    >
    > They will replicate as if they are on the same LAN IF
    > they replicate.
    >
    > Two domains will only replicate certain info, and not
    > unless they are in the same forest.
    >

    > > Everything runs fine but replication takes much too long between the
    > > domains. When adding a new user or changing a password in one domain it
    > > won't take effect in the other domain sometimes for hours.
    >

    > ? That sounds like you DO have sites defined.
    >
    > But you cannot really expect a USER account to ever
    > fully replicate to another Domain -- only the GC,
    > Schema, and Configuration replicates across domains
    > (in the same forest.)
    >
    > User accounts are partially replicated to the (other)
    > GCs of the forest.
    >
    > Make sure that a DC (or more) in each site is a GC.
    >

    > You might want to recheck Sites and Services and
    > make sure that both DCs really show in the Default
    > (or whatever name) site.
    >
    > GC setting is in there too.
    >
    > > Without putting
    > > domains in separate sites (T1 is fast and reliable) how can I change (or
    > > manually force) replication between domains? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > What are you specifically expecting to replicate?

    As Herb says, you really don't get to control the replication between
    domains like that. You are basically asking: "Without using the tools
    designed to control replication, how do I control replication?"

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    > There is only one site which both domains are in. One forest. Definitely
    > have GC servers in both domains.

    The key is GCs per site (not domain) but as long as
    that works out it doesn't matter.

    > Examples:
    >
    > Admins in both domains have rights to administer in both domains.
    >
    > Admin 1 in Domain A runs ADU&C in Domain A to add a user from Domain B to
    > group membership for Domain B.

    Well, that doesn't require replication outside the same
    domain -- UNLESS the Group is a Universal group.

    It a user from EITHER domain is added to a group in
    Domain B, domain B knows about it immediately (upon
    replication within that same domain.)

    > The new user doesn't actually show up as
    > being a member of the group in Domain B (from Domain B's perspective)
    > sometimes for hours although when looking in ADU&C in Domain A (and
    changing
    > the domain, of course) the user is there. Isn't this a replication issue?

    AD U&C runs against a DC in the domain where the
    changes are made -- it matters not which domain
    controller is runs FROM.

    AD U&C could as well run on an XP workstation etc.

    > Exchange servers exist in both domains but OWA front-end server is in
    Domain
    > A which users in Domain B go thru to access their email from home. User
    > from Domain B forgets their password and calls admin from Domain B to
    change
    > their password. Admin from Domain B does change their password
    immediately
    > but OWA server in Domain A doesn't seem to recognize that password change
    > again, sometimes for hours. Isn't that also a replication issue?
    >
    > These types of issues are fairly rare but happen often enough to be
    > troublesome. It seems to me I should be able to increase replication
    > schedule between the two domains or at the very least to manually force
    > replication so these password changes, group membership changes, etc
    happen
    > quicker between the domains. Is this not possible or am I barking up the
    > wrong tree?
    >
    > I realize in the first example I could probably point my ADU&C to a Domain
    > DC but I don't think that would work in second example as the password
    > change has to be replicated in both domains before user could login to
    OWA.
    > Or am I clueless?

    You have to make a change in Domain B while connected
    to domain B.

    > > Ok, that works generally but doesn't allow you to
    > > control the time and frequency of replication.
    > >
    > > They will replicate as if they are on the same LAN IF
    > > they replicate.
    > >
    > > Two domains will only replicate certain info, and not
    > > unless they are in the same forest.
    > >

    > > > Everything runs fine but replication takes much too long between the
    > > > domains. When adding a new user or changing a password in one domain
    it
    > > > won't take effect in the other domain sometimes for hours.
    > >

    > > ? That sounds like you DO have sites defined.
    > >
    > > But you cannot really expect a USER account to ever
    > > fully replicate to another Domain -- only the GC,
    > > Schema, and Configuration replicates across domains
    > > (in the same forest.)
    > >
    > > User accounts are partially replicated to the (other)
    > > GCs of the forest.
    > >
    > > Make sure that a DC (or more) in each site is a GC.
    > >

    > > You might want to recheck Sites and Services and
    > > make sure that both DCs really show in the Default
    > > (or whatever name) site.
    > >
    > > GC setting is in there too.
    > >
    > > > Without putting
    > > > domains in separate sites (T1 is fast and reliable) how can I change
    (or
    > > > manually force) replication between domains? Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > What are you specifically expecting to replicate?

Domain Microsoft Active Directory Windows