9800 Pro Problems NEED HELP

poO_onyou

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I recently installed a Radeon 9800pro 128mb card into my brothers computer. He is running 2.4 ghz p4, 1 gig of RAM, and a 60gb hard drive. The card works fine when i pop it in running at a resolution of 640x480. After I install the drivers and try to bump the resolution up to 800x600 or 1024x768 the monitor goes blank then eventually falls into standby mode (the light on the monitor goes orange). I have tried 3 different 17" CRT monitors. Same thing happens on all of them so it must be the video card. Any suggestions or solutions would be great. -- Thanks

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
This may sound stupid I know but... did you forget to attach the extra 4 pin molex power to the back of the card?

I think that the power through the agp is enough for lower resolutions but when you push it higher it needs that extra power.

ghent123

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2004
Did you uninstall the old drivers for the old Video Card. That can cause many issues if not uninstalled properly. Even if your upgrading from an old ATI to a newer ATI it can still cause issues.

But if the power lead is pluged in and still having issues try the following. It may seem small but can make big differnces.

Go into your Bios and look for Reset Configuration Data, deponding on your Bios it could be in a few differnet places. Normaly in adv options or power options. Just change from disabled to enabled. Save settings and exit out of the bios. It will switch back to disabled once your PC restarts once again. It's recommend to do this when updating any type add-on card in your PC. Load windows normaly and see what happens. I had the same issue when I first install my 9800 pro from a nvidia card. This fix it without any problems. Plan and simple put windows was being windows and was still looking for the old video card even tho it was removed fully out of windows.

If windows is still having issue boot into safe mode, log into the administrator account and only administrator account. Remove the current drivers you installed for your Video card. Make sure all of ATI programs are removed as well. Reboot into windows normaly and download only the drivers from ATI. Should be in the dial-up section. I haven't had any issues with 6.6 with my 9800 pro with these drivers so you should be fine with them.