AD, DNS and WINS for a small environment < 200 accounts

I need to setup AD for a very small company;
Do you think it is practical and recommended host DC, DNS and WINS on the
same server ? If not, I will consider VMWare to partition the box and
separate services for WINS.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:28:28 -0800, "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brownj@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I need to setup AD for a very small company;
>Do you think it is practical and recommended host DC, DNS and WINS on the
>same server ? If not, I will consider VMWare to partition the box and
>separate services for WINS.

Yes, but why do you need WINS?

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Folks want to play with SMS there and that will most likely require WINS.

"Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:28:28 -0800, "Marlon Brown"
> <marlon_brownj@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I need to setup AD for a very small company;
>>Do you think it is practical and recommended host DC, DNS and WINS on the
>>same server ? If not, I will consider VMWare to partition the box and
>>separate services for WINS.
>>
> Yes, but why do you need WINS?
>

> Jerold Schulman
> Windows Server MVP
> JSI, Inc.
> http://www.jsiinc.com

Marlon,

How 'small' is small? Are you going to be using Small Business Server 2003?
Are there going to be multiple Sites ( as defined in the ADSS )?

What would be the problem running DNS and WINS on the Domain Controller?
Lots of people do this.

And, I know that you know this, but it is always a good thing to have a
second Domain Controller in the environment. Yep, even with a good backup!
Run DNS on the second DC as well and make use of DDNS. Make sure that your
DHCP includes the information ( scope options 003, 006 and 015.....with WINS
044 and 046 ).

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"Jerold Schulman" wrote:
>Yes, but why do you need WINS?

I run a full native mode Windows 2003/XP domain and still have WINS.
The Reason - NetBios is still how users log on, Windows maps drives
etc. DNS hasn’t come close to replacing it.

Can’t see the point of making all my users logon with DNS eg.
"username@domain.local" or map drives using
"server.domain.local\share" when they can just put in username or
server\share

In answer to the original question, we have lots of small domains in
our org. running one DC with DNS, WINS and DHCP with no problems. Not
a good idea without fault tolerance (backup DC) but in our case cost
of server license is just not justified for value of data.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-AD-DNS-WINS-small-environment-lt-200-accounts-ftopict254410.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=784788

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:28:28 -0800, "Marlon Brown"
<marlon_brownj@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I need to setup AD for a very small company;
>Do you think it is practical and recommended host DC, DNS and WINS on the
>same server ? If not, I will consider VMWare to partition the box and
>separate services for WINS.

What Cary says. Pick any reasonable desktop spec machine and install
Win2k/AD on it. It doesn't have to be server class.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html