AD Users and Comps - different domain

Is it possible for me to manage AD Users and Comps from my PC if my PC is not
in the domain that I am trying to manage. I have an admin acct in the domain
that I would like to manage, but I don't want to actually join that domain.
Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about users comps domain

    You will need to load the XP administration pack to have a local copy of the
    ADU&C. From there you should be able to authenticate using
    DomainName\UserName. Otherwise, just use RDP.

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "Robbie" <Robbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible for me to manage AD Users and Comps from my PC if my PC is
    > not
    > in the domain that I am trying to manage. I have an admin acct in the
    > domain
    > that I would like to manage, but I don't want to actually join that
    > domain.
    > Thanks.

    Yes, you just have to connect to a domain when the snap-in loads. When it
    does load, it won't connect to anything. You can then connect.

    Off the top of my head, I can't remember if it will prompt for
    authentication. If it doesn't, create a named pipe like so:

    net use \\dcname\ipc$ /user:domain-name\userName *

    Once you've created a session with the DC you should be able to then manage
    the domain from *that* DC. A serverless bind (default) isn't good enough;
    you'll need to stipulate the DC.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net
    http://forums.msresource.net

    "Robbie" <Robbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    Is it possible for me to manage AD Users and Comps from my PC if my PC is
    not
    in the domain that I am trying to manage. I have an admin acct in the
    domain
    that I would like to manage, but I don't want to actually join that domain.
    Thanks.

    Hi,

    >Is it possible for me to manage AD Users and Comps from my PC if my
    PC
    >is not in the domain that I am trying to manage. I have an admin acct
    >in the domain that I would like to manage, but I don’t want to
    >actually join that domain.

    The easiest way I found was to create a logon and password to my
    computer that is identical to a Domain Administrator logon and
    password. If you are using XP there are other ways to send
    credentials, but I just prefer the easy way.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-AD-Users-Comps-domain-ftopict254474.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=784835

Domain Microsoft Active Directory Windows