AD Users and Comps - different domain

Is it possible for me to manage AD Users and Comps from my PC if my PC is not
in the domain that I am trying to manage. I have an admin acct in the domain
that I would like to manage, but I don't want to actually join that domain.
Thanks.

You will need to load the XP administration pack to have a local copy of the
ADU&C. From there you should be able to authenticate using
DomainName\UserName. Otherwise, just use RDP.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"Robbie" <Robbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible for me to manage AD Users and Comps from my PC if my PC is
> not
> in the domain that I am trying to manage. I have an admin acct in the
> domain
> that I would like to manage, but I don't want to actually join that
> domain.
> Thanks.

Yes, you just have to connect to a domain when the snap-in loads. When it
does load, it won't connect to anything. You can then connect.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember if it will prompt for
authentication. If it doesn't, create a named pipe like so:

net use \\dcname\ipc$ /user:domain-name\userName *

Once you've created a session with the DC you should be able to then manage
the domain from *that* DC. A serverless bind (default) isn't good enough;
you'll need to stipulate the DC.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net
http://forums.msresource.net

"Robbie" <Robbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Is it possible for me to manage AD Users and Comps from my PC if my PC is
not
in the domain that I am trying to manage. I have an admin acct in the
domain
that I would like to manage, but I don't want to actually join that domain.
Thanks.

Hi,

>Is it possible for me to manage AD Users and Comps from my PC if my
PC
>is not in the domain that I am trying to manage. I have an admin acct
>in the domain that I would like to manage, but I don’t want to
>actually join that domain.

The easiest way I found was to create a logon and password to my
computer that is identical to a Domain Administrator logon and
password. If you are using XP there are other ways to send
credentials, but I just prefer the easy way.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-AD-Users-Comps-domain-ftopict254474.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=784835