X-fi software problem

Wolf

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
I have already posted this problem before. Since the same problem keeps cropping up, PLEASE HELP URGENTLY!!

When I go for the complete install oprtion for the X-fi Extreme music,
My comp slows down drastically.

I have tried swapping the PCI slots to no effect. Reinstalling the software set over and over again. However there's no problem with the basic install option with the comp running smoothly.

Since I am interested in music mixing and stuff and it seems a da**ed shame not to utilize the Xfi's full power, could someone please help with a solution.

For the record, my system specs are given below:

AMD 3200+
Asus A*N VM MB with the geforce 6100 + Nvidia 410
1024 MB DDR 400 Transcend
X-fi extreme music
Windows XP+SP2

I have already talked to the creative reps, and despite swapping slots and reinstalling both the OS and the drivers, the problem still persists. :cry:

halcyon

Splendid
I have already posted this problem before. Since the same problem keeps cropping up, PLEASE HELP URGENTLY!!

When I go for the complete install oprtion for the X-fi Extreme music,
My comp slows down drastically.

I have tried swapping the PCI slots to no effect. Reinstalling the software set over and over again. However there's no problem with the basic install option with the comp running smoothly.

Since I am interested in music mixing and stuff and it seems a da**ed shame not to utilize the Xfi's full power, could someone please help with a solution.

For the record, my system specs are given below:

AMD 3200+
Asus A*N VM MB with the geforce 6100 + Nvidia 410
1024 MB DDR 400 Transcend
X-fi extreme music
Windows XP+SP2

I have already talked to the creative reps, and despite swapping slots and reinstalling both the OS and the drivers, the problem still persists. :cry:

Whenever I understand that someone is having problems concerning the peformance on their rig the first thing I think about is, "What's running on the system?" With that idea in mind try Start~~>Run~~>msconfig

Take a look @ what's running in the "Startup" section. See anything that is not critical to your system's functionality or your productivity? If so, try disabling said item, bouncing your rig, and see if you notice a difference.

Using MSConfig may be safer than using Regedit, especially while testing.

Here are the requirements for your Xfi Extreme soundcard. Do you have SP2 installed with all the updates?

Check: Click on TOOLS on your Windows Explorer. Click on Windows Update. Get all Windows updates

Operating Systems Supported Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)

System Requirements Genuine Intel® Pentium® III 1 GHz, AMD® 1 GHz processor or faster

Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)

256MB RAM

600MB of free hard disk space

Available PCI 2.1 slot for the audio card

CD-ROM/CD-RW or CD/DVD-ROM required for software installation

***If none of this works go here and put in the correct info and download all the proper drivers:
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/softwareupdate.asp?nSUFlag=1&...;sDestU

Wolf

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Yes,

I have not only disabled the onboard audio, but also unistalled the onboard audio drivers too.

Wolf

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Have done all that and more.

1) The latest windows updates.

2) Windows XP with SP2 installed.

3) As mentioned previously, there is more than 10GB free space in addition to 1GB RAM

4) Have the latest Creative updates, as on 5.7.06

And the problem keeps occuring.

One thing I noticed though. there seem to be a lot of creative serivices running in the background. Could there be some IRQ issues too?

uncle_ben

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
(...)And the problem keeps occuring.
One thing I noticed though. there seem to be a lot of creative serivices running in the background. Could there be some IRQ issues too?

Well, halcyon told you this already: check how many processes you have in the background after you start your PC.

Perhaps too many to be handled by your PC efficiently. Close everything listed with your user name and see if this helps.

At some stage I had 80 processes running and managed to get this number down to 25. iPodservice.exe was a real hog that got installed with iTunes, plenty of such crap...

You can also change priorities of each process in the task manager or disable them entirely thru ctrl panel.

If you think it's creative software that slows don your PC then use custom installation. Install driver, Audio Console, Mixer, perhaps THX Console - good for speakers calibration. Then if you realize you miss anything you can always add this component later.

As for IRQs you can look it up yourself: start-->run-->msinfo32.exe Voila!

thesparhawk

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Hey Wolf
I had also had a problem with installing the X-Fi on my comp. Nothing special
CPU - 939 AMD 3000
M/Board - Asrock 939 Dual-Sata2
Ram - 2 gig
V/Card - Radeon X1600

The whle install would pause at the point where it notified that it was updating my system files. If just placed the card in a PCI slot the system would recognise the new hardware and would allow me to install it with the drives but the Creative software would continue to freeze at the same point.
I updated BIOS and all the jazz, disabled on board audio, tried that crazy Quicktime update / install all to no avail. I thought that the card may have been drawing too much power on the board and upgraded my PSU aswell (as good as an excuse as any to upgrade. Again no difference.
So I tried a clean slate and formated / installed windows. As soon as windows was on I tried to run the Creative software and it worked. I had not even done any Win updates.
I also notice the software lockup on my Creative Zen installation. Again my system could gain access to the Zen but it would not allow me to install the software.
Anyway hope this may help with your system, I started to get annoyed with the new X-Fi card and regreted the purchase, but now that I have it installed hopefully all will continue to go well.
As soon as I had the software installed I also did the Creative auto web update thingy.

Cheers mate
thesparhawk

Jdawg683

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
you said it slows down when you try a complete install. why not try a minimal install? you dont really need all that mediasource garbage software. i only install the console and driver.

also, you said you have all the updates as of 5/7/06. is that the latest official driver? i thought it was more recent than that. either way i know there's a beta driver out now. you could always try that too.