Installing Programs in Domain

Hi
In our corporation there is no software troubleshooting support team
and the users should install the programs themselves.
we are migrating to a windows 2000 domain but the users are not able to
install programs without admninistrative priveleges.
but we have to give these privileges to them.
i have changed the policy " Always Install with elevated privileges" to
"enable" and the policy " Disable Windows Installer " to " Disable "
but the users are not able to install programs yet.
we tried the group policy deployment option for publishing or assigning
the applications. but it works just for programs like "adobe acrobat"
and doesnt work for programs like "ACAD 2005" or "Office 2003". I also
tried the repackaging msi feauture with softwares like "Installshield
adminstudio" or " Wise Pakckage Studio" but it didnt solve my problem.
thanks for your help.
sincerely
Masoud

Masoud,

Are you in already in the WIN2000 Active Directory environment already? Or
are you still in the WINNT 4.0 Domain? My guess would be that you are in
the WIN2000 AD.

I am not sure what you mean by Software Troubleshooting Support Team? Who
sets up the computers? When a new employee is hired who sets up the
computer for him / her? And what happens when a computer has a hardware
failure? Who prepares the new system? The end-user? Or do you have some
sort of Help Desk? Shoot, in a lot of companies the 'Network Administrator'
is really just a Help Desk person.

How are you setting up the software for deployment via GPO? I have done
this a million times and it has yet to not work. Well, assuming that I did
not do something stupid! Do the users - or computers, you did not state to
what side of things you are doing this...I will assume to the users
configuration - have at least read permissions to the Shared Folder that
contains the software on both the NTFS and Share side? Have you used the
UNC path and not a mapped network drive when telling AD the path to the .msi
file? This is a common mistake. So, the path would look like
\\servername\sharedfolder\file.msi instead of
S:\folder\sharedfolder\file.msi ....

You should not need any repackaging software if the software that you are
trying to install via GPO has a .msi file. Office 2000 and Office 2002 and
Office 2003 all come with a .msi file. Specifically for Office 2003 have
you created an Administrative Installation Point ( AIP )? You would do this
by running setup.exe /a.

What troubleshooting steps have you taken? You did not mention any. You
have many tools available to you.

And finally - is everything with DNS in order? I would guess that it is as
you stated that some apps work????

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014