Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I'm thinking of buying a new motherboard that can house a socket 478 CPU and a PCI-E connection.
I found this one from Albatron - http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/mb/specification.asp?pro_id=160

But according to what i can see it has only 1 IDE connection. Meaning that u can only attach 2 HDDs or 2 Optical Drives, and since i have 2 HDD and 2 Optical Drives, that means that i cannot buy this motherboard. Can anyone comfirm this, and if so is there a solution?
Thnx.

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
even Intel 915 Motherboards have only 1 IDE conector and 4 SATA conectors so this can happen, If u r going to buy this u have these solutions

u can buy a PCI IDE Controller card or IDE to SATA Adapters if u got SATA Ports.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
even Intel 915 Motherboards have only 1 IDE conector and 4 SATA conectors so this can happen, If u r going to buy this u have these solutions

u can buy a PCI IDE Controller card or IDE to SATA Adapters if u got SATA Ports.

That makes no sence. How can a motherboard not let u install an optical drive and an HDD at the same time? A computer ant very well run that way, and i dont think it right for everyone to buy a PCI IDE socket.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Dude you make no sense

With one ide port on the motherboard it means you can connect up to two ide devices... he has 4 ide devices therefore he can only use two of them regardless of whether they are hard drives or optical drives.

I agree to look into the s-ata converters.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I can tell you all from my own experiences, the SATA channel->ATA device adapter dealie works fairly well, but only for hard disks. I got 2 different type of converters, tried both on a DVD-RW drive.

One just plain didn't work (wasn't recognized by the BIOS) while the other was recognized and was fine for data DVDs. I tried playing a DVD, didn't work (no output, just wouldn't play) and couldn't burn (error about DMA). When I tried to set DMA in Windows, it froze Windows hard. When I tried to set DMA in Linux, it errored out and caused a segfault.

I then tried a 200 GB Seagate, works beautifully. As a matter of fact, I saw an improvement in from-disk transfer rates (35 MB/s to 55 MB/s according to hdparm).

Long story short, hard disk = good, optical drives = proceed at your own risk.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Yes it makes sense.. IDE is being phased out in favor of SATA. You'll find more and more mobos with only 1 adapter. You do realize two devices can run on one adapter? It makes perfect sense.

tdubbers

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Asus also makes a couple of boards (478 + PCI-E), the P4GD1 and the P4GPL-X, you may want to have a look. I honestly wouldn't waist the money, save a bit more and go to a new socket.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Asus also makes a couple of boards (478 + PCI-E), the P4GD1 and the P4GPL-X, you may want to have a look. I honestly wouldn't waist the money, save a bit more and go to a new socket.

A little more u say? A little more for the CPU, a little more for the RAM, for the mointor, for the sound card, hard drive, keyboard, speakers. I ask u, where does it end?
In a few years i will buy a new motherboard and then i will buy a new CPU and new DDR2 RAM, but until then i spend only what i can.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I can tell you all from my own experiences, the SATA channel->ATA device adapter dealie works fairly well, but only for hard disks. I got 2 different type of converters, tried both on a DVD-RW drive.

One just plain didn't work (wasn't recognized by the BIOS) while the other was recognized and was fine for data DVDs. I tried playing a DVD, didn't work (no output, just wouldn't play) and couldn't burn (error about DMA). When I tried to set DMA in Windows, it froze Windows hard. When I tried to set DMA in Linux, it errored out and caused a segfault.

I then tried a 200 GB Seagate, works beautifully. As a matter of fact, I saw an improvement in from-disk transfer rates (35 MB/s to 55 MB/s according to hdparm).

Long story short, hard disk = good, optical drives = proceed at your own risk.

Are u actually saying that there is an adaptor for ATA -> S.ATA?
So that i can fit something that is supposed to fit in that huge IDE connector into that tiny S.ATA connector? How can that make sence, and would this be cheaper then a PCI IDE expansion?

tdubbers

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
You don't have to upgrade all of those components, I'm just saying...in my opinion your wasting your money...but it's your money..just trying to help.

tdubbers

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
The SATA to IDE adapters are very cheap, and a neat idea, but I have also seen issues with them on certain drives, it's a crap shoot whether or not this option will work for you. You should be able to pick up a cheap IDE controller card (depending on chipset), that will almost definitely work for you, your choice.

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
hey buddy i got an Intel 915 GEV MB i faced the same problem, My MB had only 1 IDE slot so i just add a PCI con. card... so there MB 's with 1 IDE Slot
and i told that coz there r only few boards what he is looking these days :roll:
2 convey him he got other options than looking 4 other boards

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
The only reason for IDE to still be around in new Motherboard is that no one is making SATA optical drives these days, atleast not ones that are worth the money you would have to spend for them...