Hardware Upgrade on a DC

Hi,
we want to migrade our DC to a new Hardware.
The Hardware is some years old.
The Installation is also very old, have allready passed the migration from
NT-PDC to Windows 2000 DC
The DC is also our DHCP-,WINS- and DNS- Server
We have a second DC (Exchange 2000, Catalog Server).

What is the best way.
I think a new installation would be right minded. But how?

regards
Lothar

Hi Lothar,

1. Install the new server as a DC.
2. install the Network services you need it to have: DNS, DHCP, WINS, &c.
3. Demote the old domain controller.
4. Manually go back and verify that any roles assigned to the old server
were successfully moved off of the retired hardware.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"Lothar Belle" <tqsystems@web.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
> we want to migrade our DC to a new Hardware.
> The Hardware is some years old.
> The Installation is also very old, have allready passed the migration from
> NT-PDC to Windows 2000 DC
> The DC is also our DHCP-,WINS- and DNS- Server
> We have a second DC (Exchange 2000, Catalog Server).
>
> What is the best way.
> I think a new installation would be right minded. But how?
>
> regards
> Lothar

Hi Lothar,

Here's a how-to that also includes some links for help with aspects like
DHCP migration, etc. Basically what Ryan said, but with a couple of
screenshots and the like ;-)
-- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/24/47/

Just remember to do the adprep if you're going to 2003.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"Lothar Belle" <tqsystems@web.de> wrote in message
Hi,
we want to migrade our DC to a new Hardware.
The Hardware is some years old.
The Installation is also very old, have allready passed the migration from
NT-PDC to Windows 2000 DC
The DC is also our DHCP-,WINS- and DNS- Server
We have a second DC (Exchange 2000, Catalog Server).

What is the best way.
I think a new installation would be right minded. But how?

regards
Lothar

Thanks Paul. I am afraid I am being a bit laconic today. Its a busy day,
but I am sticking with my NewsGroup addiction on my lunch break.

--

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Lothar,
>
> Here's a how-to that also includes some links for help with aspects like
> DHCP migration, etc. Basically what Ryan said, but with a couple of
> screenshots and the like ;-)
> -- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/24/47/
>

> Just remember to do the adprep if you're going to 2003.
>
> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/
>
> "Lothar Belle" <tqsystems@web.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
> we want to migrade our DC to a new Hardware.
> The Hardware is some years old.
> The Installation is also very old, have allready passed the migration from
> NT-PDC to Windows 2000 DC
> The DC is also our DHCP-,WINS- and DNS- Server
> We have a second DC (Exchange 2000, Catalog Server).
>
> What is the best way.
> I think a new installation would be right minded. But how?
>
> regards
> Lothar

Hey no sweat! I just try and post the odd link to any articles I've taken
the time to write ;-)

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/