Creative X-Fi on WinXP SP1

DoomFruit

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
I'm wondering if it's possible to install an X-Fi card on an SP1 system? Their website states that XP SP2 specifically is required, but I don't want to install SP2, since I'm still nervous about breaking compatibility with my old apps (and I don't like the useless baggage that comes with SP2, like the 'security center').

Has anyone here tried to install one on XP SP1 (or Win2000)?

Thanks in advance.

DoomFruit

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
I am paranoid. Very much so, in fact, but I won't derail the topic by going into it.

And medication? Are you insane? That won't stop them from coming after me. All their medicine does is make you forget. And they will find me if I stop looking over my shoulder :D.

JohnWeldt

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
The drivers seem to work over a broad spectrum. I had an audigy gamer running on audigy 2 ZS drivers with no problems for over a year.

DoomFruit

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Well, that's OK if I want to stick an old 5.1 Live in my machine (it's currently got an Audigy 2 ZS which would go into my Linux server/web browser/video player/everything but games machine), but I can't exactly use the previous generation of drivers on a newer card and get its benefits (or expect it to work at all).

What I want to know is whether or not the X-Fi drivers will install on a WinXP Service Pack 1 system (their website explicitly mentions SP2 and nothing else - no Win2k, no Win98, etc.). Without that, there's no upgrade for me.