Database of lost PDA / PocketPC

December 1, 2004 7:43:33 PM

Just got my PDA stolen. I figure if we can keep a list of published
stolen PDA's / PocketPC's (with serial numbers posted worldwide), it
could make it harder for the thieves to profit from the stolen PDA's.

If your PDA's was stolen, consider adding its model and serial number
to the following 'database' so potential buyers have a way to learn
about that the PDA was stolen.

---------------------------------
My stolen PDA:
HP ipaq model: Hp 2215
Serial Number: TWC3241TY6
Stolen on 10/30/2004
Police Report number: 04-34997 (Costa Mesa Police, 99 Fair drive,
Costa Mesa, California)
Contact info: tonyccn@yahoo.com 714-390-0534
---------------------------------
Anonymous
December 1, 2004 11:53:31 PM

On 1 Dec 2004 16:43:33 -0800, tonyccn@yahoo.com (anthony ng) wrote:

>Just got my PDA stolen. I figure if we can keep a list of published
>stolen PDA's / PocketPC's (with serial numbers posted worldwide), it
>could make it harder for the thieves to profit from the stolen PDA's.
>
>If your PDA's was stolen, consider adding its model and serial number
>to the following 'database' so potential buyers have a way to learn
>about that the PDA was stolen.
>
>---------------------------------
>My stolen PDA:
>HP ipaq model: Hp 2215
>Serial Number: TWC3241TY6
>Stolen on 10/30/2004
>Police Report number: 04-34997 (Costa Mesa Police, 99 Fair drive,
>Costa Mesa, California)
>Contact info: tonyccn@yahoo.com 714-390-0534
>---------------------------------
This brings up a question. There is a system for laptops (Lojack for
Laptops) where when they are connected to the internet they send
out information for locating them.

There are also systems that will lock up a laptop if it is
stolen.

Any of these systems available for ppcs?

(I would add cell phone providers from what I understand
are working to implement a system that would track "stolen
phones.)

December 2, 2004 2:31:28 AM

Stolen cell phones can already be tracked to the nearest tower when used and
can also be tracked by calls. GPS could cut the location down from a few
miles to a few yards, but otherwise, I'm not sure what more would need to be
done.

"Amy Gray" <JudgeAmyGrayNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 0tsq0drljsgq3brh7abnch39ngqq9ilhh@4ax.com...
> On 1 Dec 2004 16:43:33 -0800, tonyccn@yahoo.com (anthony ng) wrote:
>
>>Just got my PDA stolen. I figure if we can keep a list of published
>>stolen PDA's / PocketPC's (with serial numbers posted worldwide), it
>>could make it harder for the thieves to profit from the stolen PDA's.
>>
>>If your PDA's was stolen, consider adding its model and serial number
>>to the following 'database' so potential buyers have a way to learn
>>about that the PDA was stolen.
>>
>>---------------------------------
>>My stolen PDA:
>>HP ipaq model: Hp 2215
>>Serial Number: TWC3241TY6
>>Stolen on 10/30/2004
>>Police Report number: 04-34997 (Costa Mesa Police, 99 Fair drive,
>>Costa Mesa, California)
>>Contact info: tonyccn@yahoo.com 714-390-0534
>>---------------------------------
> This brings up a question. There is a system for laptops (Lojack for
> Laptops) where when they are connected to the internet they send
> out information for locating them.
>
> There are also systems that will lock up a laptop if it is
> stolen.
>
> Any of these systems available for ppcs?
>
> (I would add cell phone providers from what I understand
> are working to implement a system that would track "stolen
> phones.)

> News==----
> Newsgroups
December 2, 2004 11:46:37 AM

"Amy Gray" <JudgeAmyGrayNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 0tsq0drljsgq3brh7abnch39ngqq9ilhh@4ax.com...
> On 1 Dec 2004 16:43:33 -0800, tonyccn@yahoo.com (anthony ng) wrote:
>
> >Just got my PDA stolen. I figure if we can keep a list of published
> >stolen PDA's / PocketPC's (with serial numbers posted worldwide), it
> >could make it harder for the thieves to profit from the stolen PDA's.
> >
> >If your PDA's was stolen, consider adding its model and serial number
> >to the following 'database' so potential buyers have a way to learn
> >about that the PDA was stolen.
> >
> >---------------------------------
> >My stolen PDA:
> >HP ipaq model: Hp 2215
> >Serial Number: TWC3241TY6
> >Stolen on 10/30/2004
> >Police Report number: 04-34997 (Costa Mesa Police, 99 Fair drive,
> >Costa Mesa, California)
> >Contact info: tonyccn@yahoo.com 714-390-0534
> >---------------------------------
> This brings up a question. There is a system for laptops (Lojack for
> Laptops) where when they are connected to the internet they send
> out information for locating them.
>
> There are also systems that will lock up a laptop if it is
> stolen.
>
> Any of these systems available for ppcs?
>
> (I would add cell phone providers from what I understand
> are working to implement a system that would track "stolen
> phones.)

Mobipassword protects your data. Passman too. And there are programs that
can encrypt you ppc and even the storage card - NMS. It depends on what you
want.
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 2:19:14 PM

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 23:31:28 -0500, "Earl" <brikshoe@newsgroups.nospam>
wrote:

>Stolen cell phones can already be tracked to the nearest tower when used and
>can also be tracked by calls. GPS could cut the location down from a few
>miles to a few yards, but otherwise, I'm not sure what more would need to be
>done.
My inclination is they want to eliminate the ability to 'clone'
a cell phone numnber, to tie the phone to only the person who
owns it.

I get the impression they are not only trying to fight
the stealing of phones, but also the stealing of
phone service.