CPU clock spped slower than it should be

Wrick

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
I have a AMD X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz CPU. I recently looked at my DxDiag report and it said that my CPU was ~1.0Ghz. Then I checked system properties and it said that it was 450Mhz! I restarted my PC. I checked another DxDiag report and it said ~2.2Ghz like it should. System properties said 991Mhz. I would close system properties and check it again and it would say 1.79Ghz. Close it and check it again and 991Mhz! All of this time it says that I have a AMD X2 4200+, but the spped is wrong.

What is going on. I have not noticed any system slow downs, but I havenot been gaming lately either.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
y disable it 4?
it doesnt slow your comp down when playing a game or anything else strenuous
it just saves power and makes cpu run cool and gives u speed when u need it

just leave it as it is

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
It's probably AMD's Cool n' Quiet. Go into the BIOS and disable it.

By the way of cool'n'quiet; can you solve my inverse problem? I have enabled it in the bios and installed the drivers but it doesn't work, the frequency remains fixed, what to do?

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
yes dont disable it.

To confirm it is working, download CPU-Z and leave it open while you use the pc. You should see the processor's actual speed and watch it vary along with the CPU voltate core (V-core) adjust up and down according to the speed of the processor.

To enable it (or fix if not working to fix it) make sure you have the newest amd drivers (patch released last month) and make sure it is on in the BIOS AND turn it on in Windows XP. To do so go to power management and set it to "Minimal power management" and that should do it.

HideOut

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
yes,cool n quiet seems to be the culprit for you.just disable it and your machine should read everything correctly.and to answer the person at the bottom,disabling cool n quiet will enable you to overclock like crazy.my understanding is that with cool n quiet enabled while overclocked,you will find major instability in your system when you are not using it for anything.if someone could confirm or deny this for me i would appreciate it.anyways disable it and you shoould be fine.goodluck.

EVGA NFORCE4 SLI READY BOARD
ATHLON X2 4400+
2X1 GIG SAMSUNG DDR400 IN DC MODE
520WATT PSU
7800GT VIDEO CARD
WD 300GIG HD

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I have it turned on here. It scans 30 times a second if you need more power, your cpu immediatly powers back up to 2,2ghz.

And with C&C enabled your cpu runs cooler on a lower voltage. To me that looks like a plus.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I think the point of disabling it was to TEST if that was the reason for the variaiton. If there is a question what is causing it, turn off CC, see if everything reports correctly, then reenable it. Simple. No fuss no muss.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
i believe you cant o/c with cool'n'quiet enabled coz it just goes back to default speeds automatically

EDIT
changing fsb speed should work
if u change the vcore it will change automatically

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
You can also run a game windowed and show cpu-z on the background, it the cpu frequenty goes back up to 2,2ghz. Then you have the answer to. (playing a HD-movie in WMP maybe enough)

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
there are some free utilities u can get from the amd website such as AMD power moniter which is a little tool that can run in system tray and show u the power savings.
it also shows voltage/speed.
very useful

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
You can OC with C&C enabled, depending on what you do. I have an opteron 170 (2.0 x 2x1mb L2) and its running at about 2.6ghz with C&C enabled. When less processing power is used or needed it downclocks 50% (drops to 5x multiplier) so in my case that is about 1.3ghz. The 1ghz mark is what they go down to (5x multi is lowest for them) but top speed depends on your proc, in your case 11x multi for 2.2ghz.

if you adjust your Vcore up or down manually you need to turn off cool and quiet, if you dont bump your vcore, you can safely leave it on.

On a mildly related note, download the newest AMD dual core update put out a day or two ago for proper CPU load balancing for your dual coare (amd or intel).

hide

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
You can also run a game windowed and show cpu-z on the background, it the cpu frequenty goes back up to 2,2ghz. Then you have the answer to. (playing a HD-movie in WMP maybe enough)

Don't think a movie needs all the 2.2GHz, on my P4 @ work, a DVD uses up about 10% of the CPU.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Nop is doesnt. But it DOES crank up the speed to full (at least it did it here) and have you ever played a High Defenition movie on your comp? You should try it and then hit ctrl+alt+del and look how much your cpu has to work. (here about 60%-70%) so this is enough to go to full speed again.

And a game like CS 1.6 has enough on my 1,21ghz but also it speeds up to 2,2ghz. So it does it pretty quickly.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Nop is doesnt. But it DOES crank up the speed to full (at least it did it here) and have you ever played a High Defenition movie on your comp? You should try it and then hit ctrl+alt+del and look how much your cpu has to work. (here about 60%-70%) so this is enough to go to full speed again.

And a game like CS 1.6 has enough on my 1,21ghz but also it speeds up to 2,2ghz. So it does it pretty quickly.
Don't forget he's got a dual core. BTW, don't you have problems with CnQ enabled while overclocking, I've heared it around.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
i dont know about dual core, never really looked into it. But if you know something about dual core, then your probably right because i dont know anything about it :oops:

And the reason i dont have problems with it is because my mobo (check my sig) doesnt let me increase the voltage on the vcore. So i have maxed out the HTT frequency on stock voltage. It now runs 244fsb on stock voltage. 244*9=2196mhz

Never have stability problems with it :) so im happy with it.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
i dont know about dual core, never really looked into it. But if you know something about dual core, then your probably right because i dont know anything about it :oops:

And the reason i dont have problems with it is because my mobo (check my sig) doesnt let me increase the voltage on the vcore. So i have maxed out the HTT frequency on stock voltage. It now runs 244fsb on stock voltage. 244*9=2196mhz

Never have stability problems with it :) so im happy with it.

The 3000+ is a beauty; I used to keep mine @ 239*9 ~ 2.15GHz (even 250*9 when I wanted the fastest renderings) but since I switched to a SATA drive I can nnot set the FSB to more than 224 (usually keep it 220) if I want the system ti detect i.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
So my OC to 2,2ghz is pretty good on stock voltage?

But how come SATA is holding you OC back?

Edit: there are 2 models of the 3000+ right? One on 1,4V and one on 1,35V (dont know exactly), i have the 1,4V model.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
So my OC to 2,2ghz is pretty good on stock voltage?

But how come SATA is holding you OC back?

The guya around told me SATA is frequency unlocked so it had problems when OCing. You've got to have a mombo that locks it or an external (PCI) controller.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Don't know what you mean exactly. But i dont have a SATA drive, just a IDE one. Because i had to choose a year ago, an IDE 160gb or an SATA 80gb. The IDE was only €20,- more.