Sign in with
Your question

Suggested changes appreciated *UPDATE* with diff PSU/GPU

Last response: in Systems
July 5, 2006 2:01:36 PM

Building soon as a summer project with my son. Will start editing video (Home DV stuff) with this build which will be this unit's most demanding task (rarely game - last one I loaded was UT 2004). Will not OC but need firewire on the MB. Not in a huge hurry so I can wait for Conroe. Not a fanboy either way.

Antec Performance I P180 Silver - Retail

MSI K9N Platinum Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX - Retail

eVGA 256-P2-N554-AX Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

HIPER HPU-4K580-MS ATX12V 580W Power Supply 100 - 120V - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2000MHz HT Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA4200CUBOX - Retail

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

ViewSonic VX922 Black/Silver 19" 2ms LCD Monitor - Retail

Have installed cards, hd's, ram but never built from scratch. Any anticipated problems with those components? Any issues with OEM drives?
July 5, 2006 2:23:32 PM

If you can wait for Conroe, then wait for Conroe. You won't be disappointed.

Suggested Changes:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Mobo: Asus P5B or to future proof your machine a bit more (in case you want to move to a Kentsfield chip when they come out at the beginning of next year), go for the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6

RAM: OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800, or if your budget doesn't allow for 2GB of ram, you can always for with this 1GB set

Video: (regardless of you taking my suggestion on a Conroe system or not, replace the video card with this one anyway) eVGA Geforce 7900GT KO Superclocked

The Gigabyte board has a firewire port at the back, but the Asus does not. If you decide to go with the Asus board, an add in firewire card should only be about $30 or so.
July 5, 2006 2:48:40 PM

Also regardless of Conroe, a 3800 performs to a similar level for less money.
July 5, 2006 3:04:41 PM

I like the P180 Black - just a preference.

The PS is solid - though on a preference point - I like Fortron, the 700W offering will not dissapoint.

I would suggest going for a simple 7900 GT video card - with the thought of moving to the 8K version of NVidia in the next year. the 7900 was a huge leap from the 6K series, and I would hope the same for the next step in the evolution - this is simply speculation on my part.

The perpendicular storage HD is a neat idea - I was considering the same. You might just want to have a smaller boot drive, and use a large storage drive for system backups, ect. This is a matter of your preference.

I would add two DVD burners - due to their general low cost and flexibility. Nice to do a disk to disk copy when you want to.

I am waiting for both the conroe to arrive and my bonus to be paid before I decide which way to go - AM2 or Conroe. I would suggest you wait until you have all of the options on the table - otherwise you may end up kicking yourself.

Cheers.
July 5, 2006 3:43:38 PM

Thanks for the input. My only concern with Conroe is projected retail availability in late August. By that time my son is back in school, project gets tougher to squeeze in.

I am thinking about a 7600 GT instead of the 7900, then upgrade when the 8xxx series hits.

Re: add-in firewire, can I get one that lets me connect to the ports on the front of the box or will I have to reach the back with any cables? That is a major pain in the area I am setting up in.
July 5, 2006 3:53:44 PM

This is the link to the SunBeam 20 in 1 Super Panel (on the newegg site of course.) It has the firewire you want, and a few other gizmos you might enjoy - such as fan control, Audio, SATA and USB 2.0. It also reads memory sticks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Something like this - or similar should suffice.
July 5, 2006 4:11:44 PM

Interesting product avarice, but you have to pass the cables from the back ports, through the inside of your box, to the back side of the reader in its slot. Not exactly a great cable management technique but could do in a pinch i guess
July 5, 2006 4:49:32 PM

you'll need a 590 chipset to get the most out of the epp ram you have listed
so i'd go with the Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP or ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail (i went foxconn) if it's with in your budget otherwise you could could probably find some cheaper ram. either way i'd wait for the price drops with the conroe release.
July 5, 2006 5:11:12 PM

Quote:

I am thinking about a 7600 GT instead of the 7900, then upgrade when the 8xxx series hits.
We think alike. :p 
July 5, 2006 6:07:56 PM

Quote:
so i'd go with the Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP or ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail (i went foxconn) if it's with in your budget otherwise you could could probably find some cheaper ram. either way i'd wait for the price drops with the conroe release.

I hadn't heard that about the RAM being underutilized without a 590 chipset. Would love to buy cheaper ram but had heard that the AM2's were finicky and Corsair has been reliable with them so far. Otherwise the 590 shipset seems ovekill for my purposes and those motherboards are a good bit more expensive.

Also can anyone tell me the difference betweeen these two cards:

July 5, 2006 6:26:04 PM

Quote:

I hadn't heard that about the RAM being underutilized without a 590 chipset. Would love to buy cheaper ram but had heard that the AM2's were finicky and Corsair has been reliable with them so far. Otherwise the 590 shipset seems ovekill for my purposes and those motherboards are a good bit more expensive.

Also can anyone tell me the difference betweeen these two cards:

I don't see a difference. And even if there was, get the cheaper one anyways.
July 5, 2006 6:53:25 PM

didn't mean you'd have less perfomance only that you would be paying extra for a feature in epp that you can't take advantage of. but i can't find any other ram at cas 4 that i could recommend.
July 5, 2006 7:15:06 PM

Quote:
didn't mean you'd have less perfomance only that you would be paying extra for a feature in epp that you can't take advantage of. but i can't find any other ram at cas 4 that i could recommend.

Thanks for checking. I drilled down at Newegg by Cas 4 and there are several options, but don't know if any of the cheaper ones are reliable with AM2.
July 5, 2006 7:49:33 PM

looks like for most you have to tweak the memory settings in the bios just to get them running and stable. and the only ram they mentioned on the site was kingston hyperx which is 45 bucks more on newegg without epp and still requires the bios adjustments. i'd say the corsair is your best bet.
July 7, 2006 12:17:21 AM

Updated the PSU - got nervous about recent Enermax complaints and keep reading good things about Hiper's new unit.

Also dropped vid card to 7600. Don't need top with that monitor and Could switch to DX10 without losing too much cash n current generation.
!