Win2000 User group Managment - controlled web access

I am running a standalone Win2000 Prof machine and would like to give certain
user groups access to only a specific set of web pages. I can see how to
restrict named sites but not the other way round. Please help.

Furthermore, I used to use the old NT poledit.exe a lot and cannot find a
Win2000 Prof equivalent - any ideas out there?

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about win2000 user group managment controlled access

    "Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am running a standalone Win2000 Prof machine and would like to give
    certain
    > user groups access to only a specific set of web pages. I can see how to
    > restrict named sites but not the other way round. Please help.

    This is really an IIS question but here are the basics:

    You must enable authentication (beyond anonymous)
    on at least that portion of the web site (in the IIS MMC)
    and set the permissions on the actual files using those
    Groups you wish to provide/deny access.

    E.g., remove the Guests, Everyone, etc. permissions
    from those files (make sure you give YOURSELF access
    first if you depend on those permissions) and then grant
    the actual group the correct permissions.

    You may have to stop IIS (or wait) for the permissions
    to get updated since sometimes it seems to cache access
    to files (by keeping them open or some such.)

    > Furthermore, I used to use the old NT poledit.exe a lot and cannot find a
    > Win2000 Prof equivalent - any ideas out there?

    Group Policy is a superset of the OLD System Policies
    you were using with NT.

    Your Adm files can even be converted. It called
    something like GPolMig.exe (spelling?) in the resource
    kit.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Thanks