Win2000 User group Managment - controlled web access

Lance

I am running a standalone Win2000 Prof machine and would like to give certain
user groups access to only a specific set of web pages. I can see how to
restrict named sites but not the other way round. Please help.

Furthermore, I used to use the old NT poledit.exe a lot and cannot find a
Win2000 Prof equivalent - any ideas out there?

Thanks

"Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running a standalone Win2000 Prof machine and would like to give
certain
> user groups access to only a specific set of web pages. I can see how to
> restrict named sites but not the other way round. Please help.

This is really an IIS question but here are the basics:

You must enable authentication (beyond anonymous)
on at least that portion of the web site (in the IIS MMC)
and set the permissions on the actual files using those
Groups you wish to provide/deny access.

E.g., remove the Guests, Everyone, etc. permissions
from those files (make sure you give YOURSELF access
first if you depend on those permissions) and then grant
the actual group the correct permissions.

You may have to stop IIS (or wait) for the permissions
to get updated since sometimes it seems to cache access
to files (by keeping them open or some such.)

> Furthermore, I used to use the old NT poledit.exe a lot and cannot find a
> Win2000 Prof equivalent - any ideas out there?

Group Policy is a superset of the OLD System Policies
you were using with NT.

Your Adm files can even be converted. It called
something like GPolMig.exe (spelling?) in the resource
kit.

--
Herb Martin