User does not come up in Global Address List

It started just today. I've created new user in Active Directory. User does
not appear in Global Address List in Outlook.

Please advise.
4 answers Last reply
More about user global address list

    "Gary" <gary.uber@pearlabrasive.com> wrote in message
    > It started just today. I've created new user in Active Directory. User
    does
    > not appear in Global Address List in Outlook.
    >
    > Please advise.

    Assuming your email server is Exchange 2000+, and it
    is therefore using the GC (on some of the DCs) as the
    GAL.

    Check your AD replication (specifically the Global
    Catalog).

    Try RepAdmin or ReplMon or even just simple run
    DCDiag on each DC.

    Double check that you have a GC in each site, and
    registered in DNS as such (SRV record for the GC
    in the Site).

    GC is a checkbox on each DC in AD Sites and Servers;
    you can have as many as pratical. With one Domain
    in the forest all DCs can be GCs with little or no
    penalty.

    --
    Herb Martin

    I have Exchange 2003 installed on Win2003 Server, which is member server in
    Win2000 domain with 3 DC, each of them is GC.

    The problem has started just today. I've created new user account and it
    does not come up in Outlook's Global Address List.

    However, in Exchange System Manager, in Default Global Address List
    Properties I can see that user account in Preview.

    > I have Exchange 2003 installed on Win2003 Server, which is member server
    in
    > Win2000 domain with 3 DC, each of them is GC.
    >
    > The problem has started just today. I've created new user account and it
    > does not come up in Outlook's Global Address List.
    >
    > However, in Exchange System Manager, in Default Global Address List
    > Properties I can see that user account in Preview.

    With that extra information you might do well to
    (cross)post to the Exchange and Outlook lists where
    they are more likely to help you.

    You should also identify the client OS, and the Outlook
    version. For instance, the Win9x machines don't include
    the ability to make LDAP calls by default (which may or
    may not be related, see also DSClient update for NT/9x.)

    Were it me, I would immediately check that the client
    machine is AUTHENTICATING with the Domain
    correctly, and has the correct DNS settings.

    As an internal client it must use ONLY the internal
    DNS server address (set), usually the one's within
    the domain. (i.e., NOT mix in Internet/ISP DNS
    server addresses.)

    --
    Herb Martin

    > "Herb Martin" wrote:
    >
    > > "Gary" <gary.uber@pearlabrasive.com> wrote in message
    > > > It started just today. I've created new user in Active Directory. User
    > > does
    > > > not appear in Global Address List in Outlook.
    > > >
    > > > Please advise.
    > >
    > > Assuming your email server is Exchange 2000+, and it
    > > is therefore using the GC (on some of the DCs) as the
    > > GAL.
    > >
    > > Check your AD replication (specifically the Global
    > > Catalog).
    > >
    > > Try RepAdmin or ReplMon or even just simple run
    > > DCDiag on each DC.
    > >
    > > Double check that you have a GC in each site, and
    > > registered in DNS as such (SRV record for the GC
    > > in the Site).
    > >
    > > GC is a checkbox on each DC in AD Sites and Servers;
    > > you can have as many as pratical. With one Domain
    > > in the forest all DCs can be GCs with little or no
    > > penalty.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Herb Martin

    What you see in the preview is worthless, it tells you what *should* be in the
    list, not necessarily what is or will be in the list. There are two different
    methods for creating the preview and actually building the lists.

    You need to look at the user object and see if it has been stamped by the RUS.
    Specifically look at the showInAddressBooks attribute and verify that some ALs
    are listed. If that isn't the case, the RUS for some reason didn't stamp the
    object. It could be that the RUS needs to be restarted or the Exchange server
    holding the RUS needs to be rebooted or there could be some other issues.

    If the information is stamped in the directory ok, check to make sure that it is
    stamped on all GCs, if not, it could be a replication issue.

    If all of the above is fine, then it could be an issue with cached address list
    functionality on Outlook 2003 clients.

    joe

    www.joeware.net

    Gary wrote:
    > I have Exchange 2003 installed on Win2003 Server, which is member server in
    > Win2000 domain with 3 DC, each of them is GC.
    >
    > The problem has started just today. I've created new user account and it
    > does not come up in Outlook's Global Address List.
    >
    > However, in Exchange System Manager, in Default Global Address List
    > Properties I can see that user account in Preview.
    >
    > "Herb Martin" wrote:
    >

    >>"Gary" <gary.uber@pearlabrasive.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>It started just today. I've created new user in Active Directory. User
    >>
    >>does
    >>
    >>>not appear in Global Address List in Outlook.
    >>>
    >>>Please advise.
    >>
    >>Assuming your email server is Exchange 2000+, and it
    >>is therefore using the GC (on some of the DCs) as the
    >>GAL.
    >>
    >>Check your AD replication (specifically the Global
    >>Catalog).
    >>
    >>Try RepAdmin or ReplMon or even just simple run
    >>DCDiag on each DC.
    >>
    >>Double check that you have a GC in each site, and
    >>registered in DNS as such (SRV record for the GC
    >>in the Site).
    >>
    >>GC is a checkbox on each DC in AD Sites and Servers;
    >>you can have as many as pratical. With one Domain
    >>in the forest all DCs can be GCs with little or no
    >>penalty.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Herb Martin

Outlook Microsoft Active Directory Windows