Morrowind not working

Hi all,

I have my girlfriend's Morrowind CD and have installed to my machine. I
played it on hers for about 30 hours and have a nice little adventure going,
but I brought the CD home with me and installed it here and the damn thing
won't even start.

I'm running Win2k on a P4 2.4 with 256MB, 128MB 8XAGP graphics. Her system
has XP on it, and very similar other vital statistics. It simply says
"Morrowind.exe has generated errors. You will have to restart the program."

The Dr Watson dump says:

Application exception occurred:
App: (pid=1440)
When: 5/24/2004 @ 00:25:21.796
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

*----> System Information <----*
Computer Name:
User Name:
Number of Processors: 2
Processor Type: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
Windows 2000 Version: 5.0
Current Build: 2195
Service Pack: 4
Current Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Organization:
Registered Owner:

*----> Task List <----*
0 Idle.exe
8 System.exe
148 SMSS.exe
176 CSRSS.exe
172 WINLOGON.exe
224 SERVICES.exe
244 LSASS.exe
436 svchost.exe
464 LEXBCES.exe
492 spoolsv.exe
520 LEXPPS.exe
536 svchost.exe
604 mdm.exe
716 nvsvc32.exe
748 regsvc.exe
764 mstask.exe
796 SMAgent.exe
828 stisvc.exe
856 vsmon.exe
888 WinMgmt.exe
900 svchost.exe
1040 explorer.exe
1224 LXSUPMON.exe
1208 zlclient.exe
1232 rundll32.exe
1156 CTFMON.exe
1256 msnmsgr.exe
128 KazaaLite.kpp.exe
1440 Morrowind.exe
1060 DRWTSN32.exe
0 _Total.exe

(00400000 - 007D4000)
(77F80000 - 77FFD000)
(7C570000 - 7C628000)
(77E10000 - 77E75000)
(77F40000 - 77F7E000)
(7C2D0000 - 7C332000)
(77D30000 - 77DA1000)
(77A50000 - 77B3F000)
(30000000 - 3006E000)
(77570000 - 775A0000)
(77820000 - 77827000)
(759B0000 - 759B6000)
(00230000 - 00264000)
(78000000 - 78045000)
(51080000 - 510D6000)
(00270000 - 00393000)
(003A0000 - 003A5000)
(780C0000 - 78121000)
(71710000 - 71794000)
(75E60000 - 75E7A000)
(6CA60000 - 6CA68000)
(66650000 - 666A4000)
(6BD00000 - 6BD0D000)
(60000000 - 60045000)

State Dump for Thread Id 0x42c

eax=00000000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=ffffffff esi=00da9458
edi=00000000
eip=0069ca61 esp=0012f640 ebp=00da78a0 iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na po
nc
cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0038 gs=0000
efl=00000246

function: <nosymbols>
0069ca41 5f pop edi
0069ca42 5e pop esi
0069ca43 5d pop ebp
0069ca44 c20800 ret 0x8
0069ca47 8b12 mov edx,[edx]
ds:ffffffff=????????
0069ca49 83fa1e cmp edx,0x1e
0069ca4c 0f8789010000 jnbe 0069cbdb
0069ca52 33c0 xor eax,eax
0069ca54 8a821ccc6900 mov al,[edx+0x69cc1c]
ds:0069cc1b=00
0069ca5a ff2485e8cb6900 jmp dword ptr [0069cbe8+eax*4]
ds:00000000=????????
FAULT ->0069ca61 8bb1dc000000 mov esi,[ecx+0xdc]
ds:000000dc=????????
0069ca67 85f6 test esi,esi
0069ca69 0f846e010000 je 0069cbdd
0069ca6f 8b6c2414 mov ebp,[esp+0x14]
ss:00c99527=????????
0069ca73 8b16 mov edx,[esi]
ds:00da9458=0000001c
0069ca75 8b7604 mov esi,[esi+0x4]
ds:0191333e=????????
0069ca78 85d2 test edx,edx
0069ca7a 0f84a2000000 je 0069cb22
0069ca80 8a4205 mov al,[edx+0x5]
ds:00b69ee5=??
0069ca83 84c0 test al,al
0069ca85 0f8497000000 je 0069cb22
0069ca8b 8b0a mov ecx,[edx]
ds:ffffffff=????????

*----> Stack Back Trace <----*

FramePtr ReturnAd Param#1 Param#2 Param#3 Param#4 Function Name
00DA78A0 00DA8830 00000400 00000300 00000020 00000001 !<nosymbols>
00738634 004ED940 004ED9A0 004E76D0 004ED9B0 004ED9C0 <nosymbols>
004171C0 00000018 082444F6 56097401 2FA85BE8 04C48300 !<nosymbols>

*----> Raw Stack Dump <----*
0012f640 34 fb 12 00 58 94 da 00 - a0 78 da 00 f6 e1 4e 00
4...X....x....N.
0012f650 00 01 01 01 20 00 00 00 - 3c 02 02 00 a0 78 da 00 ....
....<....x..
0012f660 a0 78 da 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 90 da 00 64 00 5c 00
..x..........d.\.
0012f670 4d 00 6f 00 72 00 72 00 - 00 04 00 00 00 03 00 00
M.o.r.r.........
0012f680 3c 00 00 00 16 00 00 00 - 56 69 64 65 6f 20 61 64 <.......Video
ad
0012f690 61 70 74 65 72 3a 20 4e - 56 49 44 49 41 20 47 65 apter: NVIDIA
Ge
0012f6a0 46 6f 72 63 65 34 20 4d - 58 20 34 34 30 20 77 69 Force4 MX 440
wi
0012f6b0 74 68 20 41 47 50 38 58 - 20 28 36 2e 31 34 2e 31 th AGP8X
(6.14.1
0012f6c0 30 2e 35 36 37 32 29 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0.5672).........
0012f6d0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0012f6e0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0012f6f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0012f700 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 6e 76 34 5f 64 69 73 70
.........nv4_disp
0012f710 2e 64 6c 6c 00 00 70 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
..dll..p.........
0012f720 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0012f730 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0012f740 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0012f750 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0012f760 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
0012f770 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

So what's this access violation all about? Is Morrowind trying to access an
area of memory Windows has rather selfishly reserved for something else?
What's the deal? This error occurs every time I try to run the game, and
that includes when the task list is much, much shorter. Is it simply a case
of insufficient memory?

Thanks!

> Hi all,

<snip>
> So what's this access violation all about? Is Morrowind trying to access
an
> area of memory Windows has rather selfishly reserved for something else?
> What's the deal? This error occurs every time I try to run the game, and
> that includes when the task list is much, much shorter. Is it simply a
case
> of insufficient memory?
>
> Thanks!

It would seem that your computer is aware that you are in violation of the
digital millennium copyright act and refuses to run the application. I am
sure if you bought a legitimate copy of the game you would be able to run it
flawlessly.

"Fallout boy" <false@ddress> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have my girlfriend's Morrowind CD and have installed to my machine. I
> played it on hers for about 30 hours and have a nice little adventure
going,
> but I brought the CD home with me and installed it here and the damn
thing
> won't even start.
>
> I'm running Win2k on a P4 2.4 with 256MB, 128MB 8XAGP graphics. Her
system
> has XP on it, and very similar other vital statistics. It simply says
> "Morrowind.exe has generated errors. You will have to restart the
program."

Does game say it will play on 2K? Many games will not run on NT/2k but
will on XP which incorporated some 9X features for this reason. Also,
there is a matter of which user you are running as. On my XP, DS/LOA only
work when admin user, even though it installs as if XP aware so that should
run with any user.

TErry

Fallout boy wrote:

This is something I'd be a bit concerned about...

|| *----> System Information <----*
|| Computer Name:
|| User Name:
|| Number of Processors: 2
|| Processor Type: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
|| Windows 2000 Version: 5.0
|| Current Build: 2195
|| Service Pack: 4
|| Current Type: Multiprocessor Free
|| Registered Organization:
|| Registered Owner:

Do you actually have a multiprocessor system? Cause Windows seems to think
that you do, and if you don't, I'd say that could be part of your problem.
Now as to how to fix it....

HTH,

-joe.

I must be lost: I've passed the point of no return
three times in the last hour.

On Mon, 24 May 2004 00:42:05 -0800, "Fallout boy" <false@ddress> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have my girlfriend's Morrowind CD and have installed to my machine. I
>played it on hers for about 30 hours and have a nice little adventure going,
>but I brought the CD home with me and installed it here and the damn thing
>won't even start.

Morrowind seems to be rather temperamental under Win2k. I have a
multi-boot system - Windows 2000 for work, and XP for Morrowind.
--
Greg Johnson
One tentacle, one vote.

"The One Your Mother Warned You About" <psychoticx@comcast.net> wrote in
message news:btudnXQbAodVlCzd4p2dnA@comcast.com...
> > Hi all,
> >
> <snip>
> > So what's this access violation all about? Is Morrowind trying to
access
> an
> > area of memory Windows has rather selfishly reserved for something else?
> > What's the deal? This error occurs every time I try to run the game,
and
> > that includes when the task list is much, much shorter. Is it simply a
> case
> > of insufficient memory?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> It would seem that your computer is aware that you are in violation of the
> digital millennium copyright act and refuses to run the application. I am
> sure if you bought a legitimate copy of the game you would be able to run
it
> flawlessly.

It is a legitimate copy of the game, dunce. My girlfriend doesn't play it
and it game free with her computer. She gave it to me. Dick.

if it is installed on her computer and yours it is a pirate copy. read the
EULA, software thief.

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy@udel.edu> wrote in message

> "Fallout boy" <false@ddress> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have my girlfriend's Morrowind CD and have installed to my machine. I
> > played it on hers for about 30 hours and have a nice little adventure
> going,
> > but I brought the CD home with me and installed it here and the damn
> thing
> > won't even start.
> >
> > I'm running Win2k on a P4 2.4 with 256MB, 128MB 8XAGP graphics. Her
> system
> > has XP on it, and very similar other vital statistics. It simply says
> > "Morrowind.exe has generated errors. You will have to restart the
> program."
>
> Does game say it will play on 2K? Many games will not run on NT/2k but
> will on XP which incorporated some 9X features for this reason. Also,
> there is a matter of which user you are running as. On my XP, DS/LOA only
> work when admin user, even though it installs as if XP aware so that
should
> run with any user.
>
> TErry

Yes, I'm an admin user.

"Joe Mama" <none@all.causeidontlikespam.com> wrote in message
> Fallout boy wrote:
>
> This is something I'd be a bit concerned about...
>
> || *----> System Information <----*
> || Computer Name:
> || User Name:
> || Number of Processors: 2
> || Processor Type: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
> || Windows 2000 Version: 5.0
> || Current Build: 2195
> || Service Pack: 4
> || Current Type: Multiprocessor Free
> || Registered Organization:
> || Registered Owner:
>
> Do you actually have a multiprocessor system? Cause Windows seems to
think
> that you do, and if you don't, I'd say that could be part of your problem.
> Now as to how to fix it....
>
> HTH,
>
> -joe.

Thanks joe, no I do not have a multiprocessor system. Windows doesn't have
a problem with anything else, though. Will check and see if it's just
Watson that thinks I have more than 1 CPU.

Fallout boy wrote:
|| "Joe Mama" <none@all.causeidontlikespam.com> wrote in message
||| Fallout boy wrote:
||| This is something I'd be a bit concerned about...
||| Do you actually have a multiprocessor system? Cause Windows seems
||| to think that you do, and if you don't, I'd say that could be part
||| of your problem. Now as to how to fix it....
||| HTH,
||| -joe.
|| Thanks joe, no I do not have a multiprocessor system. Windows
|| doesn't have a problem with anything else, though. Will check and
|| see if it's just Watson that thinks I have more than 1 CPU.

Hey,

Just thought of something... I'd bet you have a new-ish P4 with
Hyper-Threading enabled, yes? That would ( IIRC ) explain the # of procr's
being 2. If that's the case, I'd go with the other posters who've said it's
probably a Win2k issue.
Got an old copy of Win98SE lying around? :^)> Cause otherwise you might be
needing this:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=285711&pfp=SEARCH

Cheers,

"mike langworthy" <mcl1982@comcast.net> wrote in message
> if it is installed on her computer and yours it is a pirate copy. read
the
> EULA, software thief.

So if I bought it myself, and had 2 computers, I couldn't install it on
both? Why not? I bought it, right?

It was given to me, it's installed on her computer and also on mine, It's
mine - what's the drama?

> "mike langworthy" <mcl1982@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > if it is installed on her computer and yours it is a pirate copy. read
> the
> > EULA, software thief.
>
> So if I bought it myself, and had 2 computers, I couldn't install it on
> both? Why not? I bought it, right?
>
> It was given to me, it's installed on her computer and also on mine, It's
> mine - what's the drama?

Have you ever bothered to read the end-user license agreement you agreed to
before you installed a program. You do not own the program. You purchased a
lease to it. A lease that states that you may only run it on one computer
without redistributing it until it is removed from the prior one. The
pirating of games is the reason we all pay way too much for them. Do your
conscience a favor, buy a copy for each computer you installed it on. On a
second note, the fact that kazaa lite was one of the processes running in
the original Watson dump you posted. i do not think that this is the only
program you have used nefarious means to acquire.

"mike langworthy" <mcl1982@comcast.net> wrote:
>"Fallout boy" <false@ddress> wrote in message
>> "mike langworthy" <mcl1982@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > if it is installed on her computer and yours it is a pirate copy. read
>> the
>> > EULA, software thief.
>>
>> So if I bought it myself, and had 2 computers, I couldn't install it on
>> both? Why not? I bought it, right?
>>
>> It was given to me, it's installed on her computer and also on mine, It's
>> mine - what's the drama?
>
>Have you ever bothered to read the end-user license agreement you agreed to
>before you installed a program. You do not own the program. You purchased a
>lease to it. A lease that states that you may only run it on one computer
>without redistributing it until it is removed from the prior one. The
>pirating of games is the reason we all pay way too much for them. Do your
>conscience a favor, buy a copy for each computer you installed it on.

Besides, and not meaning to knock what is one of the best games I've ever
come across, pirating Morrowind these days is something akin to counterfeiting
pennies.

I was in a Target last week, and they had Morrowind PC (non-goty) on
a clearance rack for 99 cents. And a few weeks ago, one of the the
surplus software places was giving it away free with any purchase.
Same on the Xbox. Saturday the Bestbuy here had it and a bunch of
others on for $4.99

Fallout boy, as far as I'm concerned you're in the clear. Yes, boys, the
EULA says technically this and technically that, but for what it's worth, I
think that as long as Fallout boy is the only one enjoying his software
purchase he is within the terms of the agreement (because his girlfriend
sure doesn't enjoy him having the game! har har!)

As for me, I copied Morrowind from a friend and played it for close to a
month before I bought my own copy. I figured I'd enjoyed it enough that I
owed it to the developers to buy it. And before I start a flame war, let me
say again: I bought the game...First Tribunal and then the whole GOTY. I
never would have gotten the game (and they wouldn't have my 60 bucks) if I
hadn't used a friend's copy for a while first....

Ethically correct or not, I now own the game, and I freakin' love it. If
you're gonna be so rigid about the EULA, well, don't come to my next
barbeque.

"DoomMunky" <MunkyNorth@literotica.org> said in

[cut]
> As for me, I copied Morrowind from a friend and played it for
> close to a month before I bought my own copy. I figured I'd
> enjoyed it enough that I owed it to the developers to buy it.
> And before I start a flame war, let me say again: I bought the
> game...First Tribunal and then the whole GOTY. I never would
> have gotten the game (and they wouldn't have my 60 bucks) if I
> hadn't used a friend's copy for a while first....
[blah, blah]

So, maybe you should steal new model of Mercedes and after month
(if you're not caught) come back to dealer and say: " Hi, you know
I stole your car month ago, but man, I like it. So, you know, I
want to pay you for it... And man, put this phone down, because you
won't taste my sausage next time...

--

.v.

".v." <pwasyl@WYTNIJTO.wp.pl> wrote:

>"DoomMunky" <MunkyNorth@literotica.org> said in
>
>[cut]
>> As for me, I copied Morrowind from a friend and played it for
>> close to a month before I bought my own copy. I figured I'd
>> enjoyed it enough that I owed it to the developers to buy it.
>> And before I start a flame war, let me say again: I bought the
>> game...First Tribunal and then the whole GOTY. I never would
>> have gotten the game (and they wouldn't have my 60 bucks) if I
>> hadn't used a friend's copy for a while first....
>[blah, blah]
>
>So, maybe you should steal new model of Mercedes and after month
>(if you're not caught) come back to dealer and say: " Hi, you know
>I stole your car month ago, but man, I like it. So, you know, I
>want to pay you for it...

Not a Mercedes, Morrowind is a DeLorean.

Cool, used to be expensive, plagued with irritating engine
problems. :)

The analogy doesn't quite work. The car dealer actually will let you take out a
make and model for a test drive. You can get some idea of what your getting
into that way.

With software many times you can't find out until you've already purchased it.
And if you have problems or hate the game, you could be stuck with it given the
attitude that's been adopted by stores and manufacturers about returning
software. If it hadn't been for my friend letting me try his copy out on my pc
for a couple of days I wouldn't have gone out and gotten the game either. Right
after that I went and got Morrowind and both of the expansions, an $80
investment at the time. If there had been a demo of the game available I would
have tried it.

".v." <pwasyl@WYTNIJTO.wp.pl> wrote in message
: "DoomMunky" <MunkyNorth@literotica.org> said in
: news:eek:tbvc.20153$be.450@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:
:
: [cut]
: > As for me, I copied Morrowind from a friend and played it for
: > close to a month before I bought my own copy. I figured I'd
: > enjoyed it enough that I owed it to the developers to buy it.
: > And before I start a flame war, let me say again: I bought the
: > game...First Tribunal and then the whole GOTY. I never would
: > have gotten the game (and they wouldn't have my 60 bucks) if I
: > hadn't used a friend's copy for a while first....
: [blah, blah]
:
: So, maybe you should steal new model of Mercedes and after month
: (if you're not caught) come back to dealer and say: " Hi, you know
: I stole your car month ago, but man, I like it. So, you know, I
: want to pay you for it... And man, put this phone down, because you
: won't taste my sausage next time...
:
:
: --
:
:
: .v.

"Kalheka" <kalheka@hotmail.com> scribed in

> The analogy doesn't quite work. The car dealer actually will
> let you take out a make and model for a test drive. You can get
> some idea of what your getting into that way.
>
> With software many times you can't find out until you've already
> purchased it. And if you have problems or hate the game, you
> could be stuck with it given the attitude that's been adopted by
> stores and manufacturers about returning software. If it hadn't
> been for my friend letting me try his copy out on my pc for a
> couple of days I wouldn't have gone out and gotten the game
> either.

....And after a week (month, etc.) your purchased car break down
(engine, tires, whatever).
Will dealer give your money back? No. You have warranted service
(in software case: patches, updates). Nobody's perfect (even
programmers)

Right after that I went and got Morrowind and both of
> the expansions, an $80 investment at the time. If there had
> been a demo of the game available I would have tried it.

Well, I agree demo would solve problem, but there are so many other
solutions. If you can not afford wasting your money for buying game
which quality is unknown (untrustworthy), maybe you shouldn't buy
Morrowind and both of expansions at once, but play only M. first.
Or do a kind of investigation: ask other people about their
impressions (for example at alt.games.morrowind :))

Greetings
..v.

True, but there are lemon laws that protect you if something like that happens
to your car :) Like you say though, there are so many other solutions. Perhaps
we shouldn't bash a guy for using the copy his girlfriend gave him.

: "Kalheka" <kalheka@hotmail.com> scribed in
: news:hXEvc.957$7u7.434@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com:
:
: > The analogy doesn't quite work. The car dealer actually will
: > let you take out a make and model for a test drive. You can get
: > some idea of what your getting into that way.
: >