Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hi guys,

I got a new pc a few days ago. I assembled my system. It features

Intel Pentium D 3 GHZ
Geforce 7600 GT
Creative Audigy 2 Value

200 GB hdd etc etc...

Now initially when i was fitting my system i switched it on to test it. After few min of running i heard a beep. The long beep indicated that system was getting over heated. I was surprised. Till then i didnt know what was overheating.

When investigating the problem i tried to pull out my graphic card and it was so hot ...man.. as hot as it can get. This made me suspicious.

I figured that my sound card was next to graphic card and the air blown by the fan on my graphic card was hitting the sound card and thus might have been cause for overheating.

So i increased the distance and placed a fan on my cabinet near graphic card so that warm air released by graphic card is thrown out by the fan on cabinet. This solved the problem and all seemed okay.

For additional security I installed 2 extra fans on my cabinet which throw out warm air etc in my system. So I was kinda confident that things are great.

Now i was using my pc for 3 days and things seemed good. I play a bit of lord of rings as well and it ran great.

Today when i was running Serious Sam 2 Demo then after a few min of playing the same beep started. I figured my graphic card was overheating so i paused the game and beep stopped.

So i mean inspite of 3 external fans on cabinet and no problem so far why is my graphic card heating so much when i was playing serious sam 2.

any solution plz ??

Thanks for reading this long post.

Thanks,
JG

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Try reversing the fans so they blow air into your system, over the video card. What may be happening is that air about to reach your video card is instead getting sucked out of your case. I reversed my case side fan and on stock cooling my 7900GT idles around 40C.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Might want to check out any kits you can find for that 7600.

I've read Accelero S3 would work with the 7600, but wont be available till this August.

Article Cooling Website

Seems to be somewhat hard to recommend something to try for that card at this time. And PC Case ventilation is hard to understand without you telling us what you use.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
7600s shouldnt be that hot...

7800GTXs maybe......

There are fans that turn a PCI slot into an exhaust just ner your CPU.....

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I do believe that the 7600 should run cooler. But if you don't have a setup that does not properly move hot air out, then it may or will have heat problems.

Some kits may provide or have a better solution.

After seeing the cooler design for the 7600, I'm not so sure if it is a good design. It looks like the fan spins to take air in, and push hot air out through the fins, which is basically twards the slot.

I suppose a slot blower fan:

AOC FC-2202-B $9.99

Would help move hot air out, without modding or using a kit. Theres also the chance that the manufacture, may have not installed the cooler on properly.

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Thanks a lot guys for your useful suggestions.

I am using a Intel 945 GNTL motherboard. The average temperature of my processor is usually between 60C - 70C. So is it okay ?

I have 3 fans on my pc cabinet. The cabinet is kinda fine as its spacious inside so that is no clutter. There are 2 fans on the side which blow out warm air inside the pc out. And there is 1 fan on the back which blow out warm air out as well.

I was kinda happy because with 3 fans acting as exhaust plus fans built in chips i think things should be okay.

But i was stunned when the beep came when i was playing serious sam 2.
So what do u suggest ? do you think i should change 1 fan such that it blows air inside. or what ??

kizuki

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
It isn't that that good for your processor to be running 60-70c on a average basis; i could boil some water in the temperature your processor is under. If you have 3 fans then the best possible solution is the put 1 fan in the front of the case that pulls cool air in, and 2 in the back to pull out the heat generated by the components. Is the air temperature in your room over 90F?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
60-70C is way too high, especially if that's the idle temp. I always suggest that the front and side are intakes and the top and back are exhaust.

Intake
1. At the front will cool hdd's
2. At the side will provide cool air directly over cpu and gpu, especially since most cpu fans blow air down through the heatsink.

Exhaust
1. At the back to pull hot air that has just passed through the cpu heatsink out.
2. At the top to take rising hot air out the top where there is usually no air circulation.

If you don't have a fan at the front I would suggest adding one there as most cases (cabinets) have a spot for one. If you don't have a "blow hole" at the top I would suggest cutting one into your case.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hard to understand your Fan setup.

I'm guessing the 2 fans you mention is on the side door, in a tower case?

I would make those 2 fans on the door an intake, or pulling cooler air into it.

I'd leave the other fan as an exhaust on the rear to push out warmer air, and the PSU should help as well push air out.

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
The situation is kinda interesting.

I checked out my system. As mentioned there are 3 fan outlets on my cabinet. Two on side of case and one on back. There is no fan outlet in the front etc.

Now as mentioned 3 fans are present which are acting as exhaust fans.

I am using a Pentium D processor. I think this processor does heat up. When i switch on my computer and straight away goto bios my hardware mointoring data is-

[My processor is Intel Pentium D 930 and board is Intel 945 GNT chipset]

Processor Temp: 61 C [It rises and goes to 70C in a matter of 1-2mins]

[Temperature shown by intel desktop utilities software is 62C around]

Internal Temp: 44C approx
Remote Temp: 39C approx

So this is the situation. I live in a hot city. The temperature outside my house is around 40-45C at noons. In my room temp is around 30C or so. In the evening temperature is lower or if i switch on the AirConditioner then temp is between 20C - 25C.

Now do you think I should just change direction of one of the fans on the site or i should install a cooling kit or ?? .

According to you ppl what should be the ideal temp of processor (pentium d) considering my conditions.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Since you mention your room temps to be 30C, which is around 87F, it is not going to be possible to get ideal temps, for any CPU I believe using air cooling.

Water cooling would prolly be best in that kind of temp situation to where you need it during the hottest part of the day. I would recommend water cooling your system, though I don't know what to recommend. They do have a guideline to follow that is a sticky on this part of the forum.

But as far as air flow, you should have fan(s) to where air is pulled into the case, and fan(s) to push out of the case.

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I am thinking of changing my default HSF on my processor.

With an intel pentium D and intel 945 GNT chipse what thermal paste/padding would you recommend. and what new HSF would be ideal/compatible.

I think i will change the direction of one of my fans on left of the case to blow air in.

hope those may help.

[My ideal temp of graphics card is around 70C.]

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Not really sure what to recommend, especially for a Pentium D.

I usually check things out on NewEgg, since I'm happy with their prices at times.

Depends on how much you want to spend, and perhaps where you live. Some HSF are not available everywhere.

And having 87F room temps may have dissappointing results if or when you do get a 3rd party HSF.

As far as thermal compound, I find using the reg White Thermal Paste just as good as AS5.

I wouldn't use the thermal pads (actual pad stuck on the heatsink) like I've seen in the past, but that is just me.

kaoru780

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Someone plz plz plz help me, my pentium d 820 is going crazy. Usually when my pc starts up the processors temperature is 50 on idle and 60 tops. But now when i turn on my pc my processors temperature is at 70++ above the threshold.I havent done anything to my pc lately.Its even getting as far as 80++ plz do tell me what is wrong.I havent oc'ed my pc or whatever and i am using the default heatsink. It usually is not this hot, so what happened.

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
i just checked my fan setup on my pc cabinet. i found out that all my fans were blowing air into the cpu and not working as exhaust as i thought.

i will change the setup. by the way i want to know does the heatsink fan on processor blows air out or into the chip.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Try moving the Sound Blaster down to a lower PCI slot. If the hot air blown off the GeForce has nowhere to go, it will rise and heat the card again.

I don't understand why video card fans are always blowing towards the bottom of the case because that hot air will just rise and heat the card again. The fans should blow upwards, letting the heat get sucked out by the case fan.

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I changed the direction of fans on my cabinet and now they are doing the work of exhaust rather than intake. One of the fan is blowing air in but other two are blowing air out.

though this has helped a bit but i am still concerned a bit regarding temperature.

After doing some research i came across a post -

"Summary: Ask 9 out of 10 people who have purchased this processor and the first thing that they will say is that it does run hot 60C or so at 100% duty cycle.
If yours does there are two areas to check, the mounting of the cooling fan sink to the motherboard, often the mounting pegs will pull free causing poor contact with the CPU and overheating big big trouble they are a pain to keep mounted; second, the thermal compound Intel’s fan uses is cr*p. They recommend believe it or not is to install a new fan sink assembly every time it is removed due to the degradation of this compound. Never, get rid of the junk and use either Arctic Silver 5 or Antec’s silver thermal compound. It will cool it down about 5 to 10 degrees. "

The above message indicates that if you take out and put your heatsink again and again it is recommended that you reapply thermal compound.

Since i had taken out my HSK fan more than once to make sure it fits properly i think i should re-apply thermal compound on processor without removing the existing compound.

I guess my thermal compound isnt approp or so.

what do u say ??

myerz

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
i agree with everyone else....remove the old thermal compound and apply some AS5 and see how much that helps. Also i think it is a good rule of thumb to have the same ratio of intake/exhaust fans if its possible.....do you only have room for 3 fans?

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hi,

I have room for 3 fans (not including smps fan). Thus (apart from smps fan) 1 fan on back is working as exhaust. One on side bottom is working for exhaust as well (it takes care of air thrown by my graphics card fan). And fan on top of it on side is working as intake fan.

If i apply AS5 then do i need to remove existing compound on chip. or can i put on it.

JG

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
You will need to clean off the existing/remaining compound if you want to use AS5. Link Below is basically the instructions:

AS5 Instructions

Now as far as your fan setup, try to think this out some. Heat rises. The 7600 is not going to get cool air from anywhere, since your using the side fan to push what ever hot air out, and you have no front fan to push air in.

The upper side fan you say is helping the CPU which is fine, but is not going to help your video card much or at all.

The fan on the rear is fine for an exhaust. Depending on the CFM on those fans, I think your air flow would be better if both fans on the side are switch to be intake fans (pulling air in) and leave the rear as an exhaust.

Anyways just tinker around with it to see if you can get better temps especially when your room temp is down to around 24C with AC at night.

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I will try and see if i can get hand to artic silver compound and clean my existing thermal substance and apply a new one.

Regarding solution to clean it ..can u suggest any name so that i can get the solution from drug store or somewhere .

myerz

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
couldn't have said it better myself grimmy :D As far as removing the compound, if you can get your hands on some ArticClean it works very well. If not, you can just use rubbing alcohol or fingernail polish remover.

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
after a bit of looking i figured that arctic silver compound may not be available in my city or maybe country.

I will though look a bit more but if i dont find arctic silver compound then i may have to buy some other company's silver compound. :cry:

[Update: I didnt find Arctic Silver 5 in my city. Thus i had to buy Cooler Master HTK-002 high performance compound.

I will apply it later and then lets see if there is any reduction in temperature. ] :wink:

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Thanks guys for your suggessions. I am now thru. After applying the compound the temp is better than before. It hovers around 61 C or so.

Thats ok considering my conditions etc...

;-)