Sign in with
Your question

Blown gpu?!

Last response: in Overclocking
July 5, 2006 6:08:14 PM

I have an EVGA 7800 GTX 256mb KO edition card and it runs at about 490mhz gpu and 1.3ghz mem. I tried overclocking it and tried coolbit's "detect optimal frequencies" setting. It rated the card at 514mhz gpu and 1.35ghz mem. After using the card for 3 days, including gaming on it for 2 or 3 hours at a time, and not seeing any unacceptable temperature ratings, or visual tearing... the card dies :cry:  , at least I think it's dead. When the card is in the system, the power wont turn on. I hit the power button and theres a quick show that it's on then the system instantly turns off... Any idea as to what happened? Was that setting too aggressive?

More about : blown gpu

July 6, 2006 1:58:45 PM

Thats a very minor core clock (less then 10%) and the Memory is what like 5%?

If it really is blown the bigger culprit to me would be the memory since depending on the modules there is a chance they were already rated to their max specs.

I think you should RMA the card if it blew out with such a low Overclock since it would seem to me to be a defect rather then you pushing the card to its extremes.
July 6, 2006 2:21:06 PM

I doubt you can RMA it if you've overclocked it.
Related resources
July 6, 2006 2:35:41 PM

Quote:
When the card is in the system, the power wont turn on. I hit the power button and theres a quick show that it's on then the system instantly turns off... Any idea as to what happened? Was that setting too aggressive?

When you don't have the card in (or have another card) does the system work? if so, what other card are you using?

The starting to boot up & dies, seems to be more power supply related (as the system boots up, it activates diferent bios to also start, and to consume)... If it displays something and then the system shuts down, it doesn't seem to be a card problem
July 6, 2006 2:42:59 PM

You can RMA the card if it was damaged due to overclocking. That's what made me choose EVGA over other brands.

EVGA will replace the card for any reason except deliberate physical damage. That means that if you accidentally damage your card by excessive overclocking, EVGA will replace it for the cost of shipping.
EVGA website

It would be a good idea to test the card in another machine. The problem may be another component on your system since you didn't really overclock your card by that much.

Hope this helps :) 
a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2006 2:57:48 PM

Try testing the card in a different computer, check to see if the computer works with a different card, and determine where the exact problem is, it could be a bad power supply also.
July 6, 2006 3:20:34 PM

I wouldn't think you overclocked all that much, but if after testing the card in another machine, as someone else suggested, it turns out dead, then RMA it. After that, look for excessive heat someplace. You might have been running borderline in heat and with the minor overclock cooked something. Who know's it could be more related to the psu of motherboard then the gpu.
July 6, 2006 3:22:54 PM

Quote:
Try testing the card in a different computer, check to see if the computer works with a different card, and determine where the exact problem is, it could be a bad power supply also.

deweycd is correct, if the system is shutting off after power on then it may not be the card, and is more then likely the power supply. Also if you don’t have another system to test with, just disconnect everything and clean all the contacts on the mobo and vid card then reseat everything and power up again.

O and disconnect all the unneeded stuff including the HD's until you verify if the card is dead.
July 6, 2006 3:26:05 PM

Im thinking it could be your powersupply .. since you said when you hit the power button... it flips on for a second.. and turns back off, I had a similar problem before when I put in a new card or say a card that required more power than the previous one =O
July 6, 2006 7:09:31 PM

Unfortunately this is my only pcix board and gpu... i put an old pci vid card in and the 12v rail seemed to be ok... the power supply is a 550w ultra x2 modular supply. I am just trying to figure out here how this happened because the overclock settings were so conservative. This is really my second attempt at overclocking and I'd like to do it more often, preferably WITHOUT blowing the card :wink: . I already went ahead and RMA'd the card it shouldn't be a problem, wish i could test the psu somehow, would ANY pcix card work as a test card or would it have to be something close to the same card, i think one of my friends has a pcix card i can try.

Heres a link for the card... anyone know the specs on the orignal 7800 gtx cards or know if this one is overclocked already??

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=256-P2-N529-AX&family=22
July 6, 2006 7:31:44 PM

It can be a blown power supply (I had one that did exactly the same - it would work util i started recording dvd's and then would shutdown).

If you can and test your gpu in another (working) pc it would be enough to see if the gpu is really working. If you can get another gpu to test if everything is ok with the board/pcie it would be ok. what would be great was to try and use a more power hungry gpu (to see if it really is a power supply problem).
July 6, 2006 7:47:02 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately this is my only pcix board and gpu... i put an old pci vid card in and the 12v rail seemed to be ok... the power supply is a 550w ultra x2 modular supply. I am just trying to figure out here how this happened because the overclock settings were so conservative. This is really my second attempt at overclocking and I'd like to do it more often, preferably WITHOUT blowing the card :wink: . I already went ahead and RMA'd the card it shouldn't be a problem, wish i could test the psu somehow, would ANY pcix card work as a test card or would it have to be something close to the same card, i think one of my friends has a pcix card i can try.

Heres a link for the card... anyone know the specs on the orignal 7800 gtx cards or know if this one is overclocked already??

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=256-P2-N529-AX&family=22

I seriously doubt you killed your vid card. Yeah, see if any of your buds can loan you a PCIx video card, doesnt matter what it is really, or even a PCI vid card. If the system boots up with the tester than more then likely its either a bad connection, a bad card or the power was not there to run the card (which is more than likely not the case) OH and I know that nowa days we buy high end power supplies but keep in mind that I had a 550 FSP ATX v2 power supply which was one of the highest rated out there, and it killed two mobo's (including the first SLI board from Asus at 280$)

Try to clean, and reseat the card before you send it out, bout 5-10mins time, could save you some down time and effort.
!