Sign in with
Your question

Question about OS install in new homebuild

Last response: in Systems
July 5, 2006 6:39:11 PM

Sorry for the noob question, but I can't recall the issues with WinXP licensing and installing on more than one unit. Have XP SP1 on disk from a purchase about 3 years ago. Can I use that to load the OS on a box I am building and then update to SP2 and other patches etc and still be able to activate it?
July 5, 2006 6:54:34 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the noob question, but I can't recall the issues with WinXP licensing and installing on more than one unit. Have XP SP1 on disk from a purchase about 3 years ago. Can I use that to load the OS on a box I am building and then update to SP2 and other patches etc and still be able to activate it?

Assuming this is a single copy of XP, I don't think you can load it legally on the new box. I've seen recipes online for getting it to load illegally but have never bothered to try.
July 5, 2006 7:00:41 PM

Sure you can install it. But when it asks you for activation and you can't do it because that copy's already been activated, you'll be up license creek.
Related resources
July 5, 2006 7:52:39 PM

You can, you just have to call Microsoft after you generate new numbers, they will give you numbers to type in. Just tell them you've changed the motherboard, we have to do that for people in the shop all of the time.
July 5, 2006 8:09:09 PM

Quote:
You can, you just have to call Microsoft after you generate new numbers, they will give you numbers to type in. Just tell them you've changed the motherboard, we have to do that for people in the shop all of the time.

So if he's still got it on the old box, then installs it on the new one, isn't he getting a free copy? MS doesn't give this stuff away.
July 5, 2006 8:11:35 PM

Quote:

So if he's still got it on the old box, then installs it on the new one, isn't he getting a free copy? MS doesn't give this stuff away.

He would have to legally format the hard drive in the other box and stop using it. MS will give him a code, but it would be breaking the EULA to use both.
July 5, 2006 9:13:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yea, I was wanting to leave it on the old box and install it on a new one. Should have specified that. Looks like I am coughing up for a new copy. I understand that they don't want one copy spread out over an enterprise, but I would think coming up with a way to have it legally on more than one box for personal use would be a workable thing for MS. Ah well.
July 6, 2006 1:50:09 AM

You'll be fine...MS isn't knocking down doors for this. Like the guy said...just call them up and tell them you put in new hardware.
July 6, 2006 2:07:26 AM

Also remember that microsoft thinks (I think it was) oem copies of windows can't be loaded on another computer. For purposes of defining another computer, they have decided a new motherboard constitutes a new computer. Micro$oft sucks!
!