XP Home Edition Upgrade

Upgrading from 98SE. All ok until the point at which the
computer re-boots to start in XP then blue screen and
error message as follows "SETUP HAS DETERMINED THAT DRIVE
C: IS CORRUPTED AND CANNOT BE REPAIRED. SETUP CANNOT
CONTINUE". There's nothing wrong with drive C and
reverting back to 98SE and all's well. Any ideas please.
5 answers Last reply
More about home edition upgrade

    Did you purchase a retail or OEM version of Windows XP?
    If you purchased an OEM version, it cannot upgrade over
    an existing Windows installation. It must be install "clean"
    on a reformatted drive or partition.

    Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    Also, read the following troubleshooting articles:

    Problems with Drive Overlay Programs in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315679&Product=winxp

    "Setup Was Unable To Verify Drive"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822796&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Bryan" wrote:

    | Upgrading from 98SE. All ok until the point at which the
    | computer re-boots to start in XP then blue screen and
    | error message as follows "SETUP HAS DETERMINED THAT DRIVE
    | C: IS CORRUPTED AND CANNOT BE REPAIRED. SETUP CANNOT
    | CONTINUE". There's nothing wrong with drive C and
    | reverting back to 98SE and all's well. Any ideas please.

    If you are certain the drive is good then did you run drive compression on
    Windows 98? That could be the problem. You will need to uncompress the drive
    before you can upgrade or partition the drive, format and do a clean
    install. But as someone else mentioned running drive utility from the
    manufacturer site on the drive to ensure it doesn't have a batch of bad
    sectors is an important first step.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Bryan" <ben-newmanb@whsmithnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    | Upgrading from 98SE. All ok until the point at which the
    | computer re-boots to start in XP then blue screen and
    | error message as follows "SETUP HAS DETERMINED THAT DRIVE
    | C: IS CORRUPTED AND CANNOT BE REPAIRED. SETUP CANNOT
    | CONTINUE". There's nothing wrong with drive C and
    | reverting back to 98SE and all's well. Any ideas please.

    Win 98 was far more tolerant to hardware discrepancies than XP is.. you
    could try running a utility available from the HDD manufacturer website that
    will fix the errors..

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:57:05 -0700, Bryan wrote:

    > Upgrading from 98SE. All ok until the point at which the
    > computer re-boots to start in XP then blue screen and
    > error message as follows "SETUP HAS DETERMINED THAT DRIVE
    > C: IS CORRUPTED AND CANNOT BE REPAIRED. SETUP CANNOT
    > CONTINUE". There's nothing wrong with drive C and
    > reverting back to 98SE and all's well. Any ideas please.

    Is GoBack present at all? If yes, remove the drive from GoBack's monitoring
    before trying to install XP.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Bryan wrote:
    > Upgrading from 98SE. All ok until the point at which the
    > computer re-boots to start in XP then blue screen and
    > error message as follows "SETUP HAS DETERMINED THAT DRIVE
    > C: IS CORRUPTED AND CANNOT BE REPAIRED. SETUP CANNOT
    > CONTINUE". There's nothing wrong with drive C and
    > reverting back to 98SE and all's well. Any ideas please.

    It's probably a defective hard drive, although there is a slim
    chance that the IDE controller on the motherboard is malfunctioning.
    Again, and I _cannot_ seem to emphasize this enough, a piece of
    hardware's working with Win98, is absolutely *NO* indication of its
    suitability for use with WinNT, Win2K, or WinXP.

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064

    --

    Bruce Chambers