An Oveclocked D 805, can it...

X3r0x1d3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Hello,

I'm currently a "newbie" on the high tech overclocking world. I'm trying to build a computer for my server hosting while playing games. Starting with the D 805 i don't know much about it yet. It seems to me that i have these questions which keeps on bothering me and was hoping if you guys can help me out! :)

Questions:

If i overclock the D 805 to 4.00ghz+ , would it be able to host server while playing games?.

Do i have the right Ram? Does it need to be 800mhz?

Am i missing something?

Parts being bought:

1x LG GSA-H10N 16X 10x DL+R 6X DL-R 12X DVD-Ram Super-Multi Internal DVD Writer (Black) OEM w/Software

1x Intel Pentium D 805, 2.66GHz, EM64T XD Dual Core, 2X1MB, Socket LGA775 (Retail Box)

1x 18" ATA-66/100/133 IDE Cable

1x Thermaltake VC3000BWS Armor Jr. SECC Case Black w/ Window

1x Thermaltake CL-W0076 Bigwater 745 Liquid Cooling System

1x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA (3.0Gb/s) 300GB 7200RPM 16MB Buffer (OEM)

2x OCZ PC2-6400 DDR2-800 Platinum XTC 2GB (2x1024MB) Dual Channel Kit (OCZ2P8002GK)

1x ATI Radeon® X1900 XT 512MB PCI Express®

1x Asus P5WD2-E Premium Socket 775 Intel 975X Chipset CrossFire Ready Dual Ch DDRII 800 Ready 2 X PCI Express x16 Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s Raid 0,1,5,10 External Serial ATA Dual GB Lan 8-Ch Audio IEEE 1394

1x Thermaltake Power Station 520W ATX 2.0 W0073RU Power Supply with PFC 12CM LED

Thanks for the Help,
Jason :p

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Do you intend to ever go XF or stay with single gfx card? Because i'd opt for a PSU a with a bit more juice from the get go just to be on the safe side, and also mind that OC'ing by that much will put a lot of strain on the PSU powerwise, and even if you will be able to run it off of the thermaltake PSU, it won't be as efficient as if you get a 600W+ one as you get high temps in the PSU at high loads. And for the server thing, well it all depends on what kind of games you play (ie MMOs or SP games) and how many user you intend on acessing your server at any given time because the more traffic you have going to/from your machine,you might experience instabilities. Also keep in mind that if you intend to run a server with that much of an OC, be aware of the heat that it will be giving off if it has to run 24/7.

X3r0x1d3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Do you intend to ever go XF or stay with single gfx card? Because i'd opt for a PSU a with a bit more juice from the get go just to be on the safe side, and also mind that OC'ing by that much will put a lot of strain on the PSU powerwise, and even if you will be able to run it off of the thermaltake PSU, it won't be as efficient as if you get a 600W+ one as you get high temps in the PSU at high loads. And for the server thing, well it all depends on what kind of games you play (ie MMOs or SP games) and how many user you intend on acessing your server at any given time because the more traffic you have going to/from your machine,you might experience instabilities. Also keep in mind that if you intend to run a server with that much of an OC, be aware of the heat that it will be giving off if it has to run 24/7.

I don't intend to use crossfire. but do you think i still need more juice on the PSU anyways?

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Well maybe not as much as if you were to go XF. But also just as a reminder, mind that 4.0ghz is an impressive but yet not GARANTEED OC. If you go around these forums you'll notice that many ppl are hitting a wall past the 3.6-3.7 mark...also its also a factor to consider that an OC'ed machine even if tested thoroughly can lead to instabilities, which in turn would make a server machine a liability if it has to run 24/7 without interruption. And add to that the fact that you wish to be able to play games AND still serve at the same time, IMO you should find yourself a (pardon me for the term) S**t box and run your server off that unless you intend to have massive ammount of requests on the server itself, which in turn would add even greater stress on your setup.

Just to know what do you intend on serving with that computer?
And also if you can afford it, i would get a second smaller HDD to run your OS and stuff instead of having everything on 1 HDD. Because if you need to have a lot of data processed from your clients on your server and also want to enjoy playing games at the same time, think of how much reading/writing the hdd as to do to satisfy the demand, which in turn will affect the overall performance of your machine.

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I noticed that it's power stability is lacking.
What do you mean by that?!
Because when i look at your setup, the sore thumb that sticks out the most is the ECS board, then the PSU comes second, but a quick way to tell if your PSU is reaching its limits is to monitor the voltages while doing all the stuff you need to do on that machine, if you see major fluctuations or voltages that are really off the norm, then i'd suspect your PSU. If not like i said earlier unless you tested your CPU on another rig and was able to push it past where you're at now, then it could be anything in your systems that reached its limit.

X3r0x1d3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Just to know what do you intend on serving with that computer?
And also if you can afford it, i would get a second smaller HDD to run your OS and stuff instead of having everything on 1 HDD. Because if you need to have a lot of data processed from your clients on your server and also want to enjoy playing games at the same time, think of how much reading/writing the hdd as to do to satisfy the demand, which in turn will affect the overall performance of your machine.

I was hoping to run game server which don't kno i i can... If it can't be done, what kind of fast cpu that can handle gaming while hosting a server do you recommend?

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
GET THE PENTIUM D 930 INSTEAD OF THE PENTIUM D 805! It should be able to do what you request.
I think that sums it up ...Seriously overclocking can lead to instabilities and added strain on a system, so get a D 930, leave it at stock speed and enjoy. If you feel the absolute need to OC the heck out of it, well i think google is your best friend ..that is after THG's forums. ;)

X3r0x1d3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
GET THE PENTIUM D 930 INSTEAD OF THE PENTIUM D 805! It should be able to do what you request.
I think that sums it up ...Seriously overclocking can lead to instabilities and added strain on a system, so get a D 930, leave it at stock speed and enjoy. If you feel the absolute need to OC the heck out of it, well i think google is your best friend ..that is after THG's forums. ;)

Well i guess you guys helped me out a lot, so i've decided to go with the d 930.. but then again if i overclock it, what would be a reasonable clock speed? btw 3Ghz is the stock speed. I want to overclock it because i like to speed things up! :twisted:

edit: i've seen the d 930 - 950, i still don't know which is good. My bro told be to go fo the cheaper one ( d 930 ) and overclocking it would be better..