windows update is grayed out

Hi

I can't seems to have WinXP AutoUpdate to work.

I check the Control Panel => System. I only see 6 tabs "General, Hardware,
Computer Name, Advanced, System restore, Remote". There's no "AutoUpdate"
tab???

So I click on "Classic View" in Control Panel to access the "Automatic
Update" and turn on the "Automatic download but prompt me for install"
option. But it still doesn't download the SP2 for me.

I also try the "Automatic (Recommend)" option to download and install for me
an everyday 2pm. But nothing happen.

Please Advise!!
3 answers Last reply
More about windows update grayed

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:05:06 -0700, wawadave wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I can't seems to have WinXP AutoUpdate to work.
    >
    > I check the Control Panel => System. I only see 6 tabs "General, Hardware,
    > Computer Name, Advanced, System restore, Remote". There's no "AutoUpdate"
    > tab???
    >
    > So I click on "Classic View" in Control Panel to access the "Automatic
    > Update" and turn on the "Automatic download but prompt me for install"
    > option. But it still doesn't download the SP2 for me.
    >
    > I also try the "Automatic (Recommend)" option to download and install for me
    > an everyday 2pm. But nothing happen.
    >

    > Please Advise!!

    Are you logged on with an account in the administrative group when you
    check? Is it possible that an administrator has blocked auto updates via
    policy? Has anyone disabled services in Computer Management that are
    required for Automatic Updates to work?

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    i'm having the same problem. i only have six tab options
    instead of 7.

    Automatic updates greyed out
    Click Start, select run and type in: services.msc,
    Now scroll down to the autoupdate service and double click it.
    Start it and set the startup type to automatic, then reboot.

    "The Windows Update Service is not available" and all of the check boxes and
    drop-down menus are greyed out. This can happen if the Automatic Update service is
    disabled.

    Click Start, select Run and type: Services.msc
    Press Enter
    Locate the - "Automatic Update"
    Make sure the service is not disabled and started.

    "The Windows Update Service is not available" and all of the check boxes and
    drop-down menus are greyed out. Automatic Update Service is missing from the
    services.msc list.
    Can happen if the wuaueng.dll file is not registered.

    Register the file wuaueng.dll:
    Click Start, select Run
    Type: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    Press OK.

    Windows Update Greyed Out - Restore (Line 179)

    > i'm having the same problem. i only have six tab options
    > instead of 7.

Download Control Panel Windows Update Windows XP