Heatsink vs Fan for GPU Cooling

cpres

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Is there anything in particular I should look for in building a system when trying to choose a video card that has a heatsink or a fan for cooling purposes?

I know the heatsink will be much quieter, but what type of fan cooling with the case will you need to make sure it does not overheat? I am not a hardcore gamer, and I have no intentions to overclock anything at all so is this going to make any difference.

Thoughts, feedback, opinions? Thanks.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Is there anything in particular I should look for in building a system when trying to choose a video card that has a heatsink or a fan for cooling purposes?

I know the heatsink will be much quieter, but what type of fan cooling with the case will you need to make sure it does not overheat? I am not a hardcore gamer, and I have no intentions to overclock anything at all so is this going to make any difference.

Search the video card section for a recent thread and article about a passive GPU cooler. Personally, I like the idea of venting the heat out the back of the case like with the ATI 1800s and 1900s, but they are a bit noisy. Not OC'ing does make a big difference because hot GPUs get seriously hot when OC'ed.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Do you really need it that quiet? If so then look for something with a bigger fan on the video card that way they can rotate slower while moving the same amount of air and will be quiet.

cpres

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
One thing I did notice after doing that search...the heatsink cards are wider, therefore taking up more space and cutting down on the available PCI slots you can use.

Is this standard?

I guess the question is how loud are these cards really, and with everything else in the case will it make a difference?

cpres

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
To add some additional info (and hopefully get some feedback)

I am looking at either the MSI or EVGA Video Cards:

EVGA GeForce 7600 GS (Active or Passive Cooled)

or

MSI NX7600GS-T2D256E / MSI NX7600GS-T2D256EH.

These will be placed in the Thermaltake Armor Jr. VC3000BWS with the DFI NF4 SLI Infinity.

The questions are the following:

1) Will there be any issues with the passive vs active cooling in this case?
2) If I do decide to go SLI will I be losing one of my PCI slots having the passive cooling GPU installed?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Will there be any issues with the passive vs active cooling in this case?

None in particular I can think of. If you use the DFI audio, you may need to trim the rear fan to fit.

If I do decide to go SLI will I be losing one of my PCI slots having the passive cooling GPU installed?

With SLI, you'll lose two! Mobo makers need to adjust to the reality of hot-running GPUs that need two slots.