Sign in with
Your question

Question about AMD's support for AM2

Last response: in CPUs
July 5, 2006 10:17:07 PM

Will AM2 be AMD's main supported socket for the next few years? I'm hearing this stuff about K8L and whatever in 2007, but does that mean a new socket as well? I'm sure they'll keep making better chips, maybe not better than Core 2 Duo but as long as they support AM2 I won't mind.

I'd love to have a Conroe system especially after all the things I've read here but I just can't make it work- there are a few problems that are preventing me from getting one. First, availability... I want to thing done before I go to college but I'm hearing a lot of things about shortages. Second, $140 or so price difference between the prices of the CPUs and mobos. I know I can't compare a 3200+ to a E6300- but I figure I can upgrade later (in both cases). An finally, the Core 2 Duo is relatively new... I'm worried about bugs and other issues. Plus, I'd like to have the 1300FSB rather than the 1066 currently available.

I might consider waiting until Xmas if the prices are down, any bugs are fixed, and they hit the 1300FSB. I'm sure availability won't be an issue.

Kudos to anyone with advice.

Just incase any of you were wondering, this was the build I had in mind:
Case: Ultra Aluminus Mid-Tower $ 95.00
Mobo: ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe AM2 nForce 570 $149.99
PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W Modular $159.99
CPU: AMD Athlon 3200+ AM2 $104.00
Memory: OCZ Gold 2GB (1GB x 2) 240 pin DDR2 800 $219.99
HD1: WD Raptor SATA 10K RPM 74GB $169.99
HD2: undecided
GPU: eVGA 7600GT $164.99
Sound: Diamond Audio XtremeSound 7.1 $ 57.99
Optical1: Samsung 16x DVD DL Burner LS $ 38.99
Optical2: Sony DVD-ROM drive $ 19.99
Floppy: Samsung Floppy Drive 3.5 $ 7.99
Media: Linkskey multicard reader & writer 3.5" $ 12.99
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2025WM 20.1" wide LCD $329.99
Mouse: Logitech MX518 $ 38.95
Keyboard: Logitech Multimedia keyboard $ 9.99
Misc: AeroCool 120mm x 2 $ 29.98

Budget is about $1800- all of that adds up to about $1700 shipped, not including the second HD. I really don't need that second HD now, which would leave me with about $100 to play with.
July 5, 2006 11:37:17 PM

If you want a conroe system, I definitely recommend waiting until at least October-November to purchase it. By then most of the bugs should be worked out (there will be some, its a new technology!)

However, if you want to have this system for the beginning of school, that system should be fine for the next year or two as far as upgradeablity and such. I will mention that I have the 939 version of that processor and it is quite good. Last night I overclocked mine to 2.4GHz on the stock aircooler on a whim and played some games with it for about a half hour. Don't know how the AM2 version will do with the DDR2 ram, but it is a pretty good looking system.

Just an FYI: in six months you will be dissapointed with the prices you pay today, thats just how it goes. But if you want to be less dissapointed, wait until the end of the month or early August before you buy your proc. This is my recommendation due to the planned price cuts to the AMD chips.

Good luck, and make sure you don't burn anything if you intend to overclock, that's an expensive mistake for a college student...
July 5, 2006 11:39:22 PM

AM2 is suppose to stay for a few years.
Related resources
July 5, 2006 11:43:18 PM

Quote:
Will AM2 be AMD's main supported socket for the next few years? I'm hearing this stuff about K8L and whatever in 2007, but does that mean a new socket as well? I'm sure they'll keep making better chips, maybe not better than Core 2 Duo but as long as they support AM2 I won't mind.

I'd love to have a Conroe system especially after all the things I've read here but I just can't make it work- there are a few problems that are preventing me from getting one. First, availability... I want to thing done before I go to college but I'm hearing a lot of things about shortages. Second, $140 or so price difference between the prices of the CPUs and mobos. I know I can't compare a 3200+ to a E6300- but I figure I can upgrade later (in both cases). An finally, the Core 2 Duo is relatively new... I'm worried about bugs and other issues. Plus, I'd like to have the 1300FSB rather than the 1066 currently available.

I might consider waiting until Xmas if the prices are down, any bugs are fixed, and they hit the 1300FSB. I'm sure availability won't be an issue.

Kudos to anyone with advice.

Just incase any of you were wondering, this was the build I had in mind:
Case: Ultra Aluminus Mid-Tower $ 95.00
Mobo: ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe AM2 nForce 570 $149.99
PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W Modular $159.99
Memory: OCZ Gold 2GB (1GB x 2) 240 pin DDR2 800 $219.99
HD1: WD Raptor SATA 10K RPM 74GB $169.99
HD2: undecided
GPU: eVGA 7600GT $164.99
Sound: Diamond Audio XtremeSound 7.1 $ 57.99
Optical1: Samsung 16x DVD DL Burner LS $ 38.99
Optical2: Sony DVD-ROM drive $ 19.99
Floppy: Samsung Floppy Drive 3.5 $ 7.99
Media: Linkskey multicard reader & writer 3.5" $ 12.99
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2025WM 20.1" wide LCD $329.99
Mouse: Logitech MX518 $ 38.95
Keyboard: Logitech Multimedia keyboard $ 9.99
Misc: AeroCool 120mm x 2 $ 29.98

Budget is about $1800- all of that adds up to about $1700 shipped, not including the second HD. I really don't need that second HD now, which would leave me with about $100 to play with.

FIrst, with $100 extra I would upgrade the CPU - unless you OC. AM2 should be around until the end of 2008. It supposedly supports K8L and 65nm should give them several speed upgrades before any socket changes.

Intel may get another speed increase from the bus, but either way you go you'll be loving it. I just trade dout a 3200+ and it did a bang up job.

The question is whether you want to wait for a Core 2 system, or the parts or get the AM2 which is pretty well stocked and mobos are cheap as well.

AFter Core 2 launches - maybe the same day - AM2 prices should go down enough to really make that extra 100 go a long way.
July 6, 2006 12:29:53 AM

Hmm. is it me or unless he decides to go SLI at some point, that PSU is a bit overkill..same thing goes for the mobo, why pick up SLI parts if you dont plan to use them?! just my 2 cents...and also, you should wait a couple of weeks to get full benefit of the price drop which should follow the conroe launch..
July 6, 2006 1:06:36 AM

I just noticed you were going to get a floppy for your computer as well as a media card reader. I would like to suggest a combo drive with both in it. I have one and it works great. Here's one.

I know its a bit more expensive than the two put together, but you are left with another 3.5" bay to do what you like with, like fill it with USB and Firewire ports.

Its what I did, I like the setup, personally. Just a thought...

Edit: You can also find 'em in white on www.pricewatch.com
July 6, 2006 1:21:43 AM

Quote:

Yes.
The 939 will also be around for along time and people are still buying Bartons every day.

Around the start of 2007 you will see the AMD 4-core CPU's which use the same power as todays dualcores...they will have larger/faster cashe useing a new Z-RAM system as well.

I will stick with overclocked Optron 146's for a few years myself.

Z
July 6, 2006 1:38:26 AM

Quote:
Hmm. is it me or unless he decides to go SLI at some point, that PSU is a bit overkill..same thing goes for the mobo, why pick up SLI parts if you dont plan to use them?! just my 2 cents...and also, you should wait a couple of weeks to get full benefit of the price drop which should follow the conroe launch..

Actually, that is a good point... I did plan to SLI at one time (buy a card now and SLI it later) but decided against it. But I really can't find anything that I like (in a dark color, modular, 500-550 watts) besides ones from ULTRA but... I'm not going to buy my PSU unless its from a trusted source (Fortron, Enermax, etc.). I'll probably keep that mobo unless they make a non-SLI equivalent. I really think ASUS did a good job with their AM2 mobos- I'm not liking what I'm seeing from other companies.

Quote:
I just noticed you were going to get a floppy for your computer as well as a media card reader. I would like to suggest a combo drive with both in it. I have one and it works great. Here's one.

I know its a bit more expensive than the two put together, but you are left with another 3.5" bay to do what you like with, like fill it with USB and Firewire ports.

I probably will get a combo floppy/media drive, since I found out that my front ports can go in either 3.5" or 5.25" bays.

Quote:

Yes.
The 939 will also be around for along time and people are still buying Bartons every day.

Around the start of 2007 you will see the AMD 4-core CPU's which use the same power as todays dualcores...they will have larger/faster cashe useing a new Z-RAM system as well.

I will stick with overclocked Optron 146's for a few years myself.

Z

Will those quad cores be AM2? That'd be sweet. :) 

Well, so far... no naysayers about me going with AM2? I'm sorta.. shocked as the rest of the forums seem to be in an uproar.8O
July 6, 2006 1:49:23 AM

K8L Is Expected For AM2
July 6, 2006 1:52:03 AM

Quote:
Well, so far... no naysayers about me going with AM2? I'm sorta.. shocked as the rest of the forums seem to be in an uproar.8O

It was probably how you titled it and how you presented your case. Especially when you put your full planned system specs down to the floppy drive, it looks like you have put forth some time and effort into configuring this system, weighed the options, and know what you are getting into.

However, it does take some luck not getting flamed these days when you show a plan for an AMD system.

Personally, I think AM2 is the way to go for me, due to some of my hardware, and also due to the fact that AM2 is a new socket and definitely has more time left in it, as compared to its Intel counterpart... (could be wrong though, you never know what anyone will do next)
July 6, 2006 2:14:19 AM

Quote:
K8L Is Expected For AM2

So, my mobo will work with K8L? Or will I have to get a new mobo compatible with K8L? What exactly are all the K__s (ie, K6, K8N, etc.).

Quote:

It was probably how you titled it and how you presented your case. Especially when you put your full planned system specs down to the floppy drive, it looks like you have put forth some time and effort into configuring this system, weighed the options, and know what you are getting into.

However, it does take some luck not getting flamed these days when you show a plan for an AMD system.

Personally, I think AM2 is the way to go for me, due to some of my hardware, and also due to the fact that AM2 is a new socket and definitely has more time left in it, as compared to its Intel counterpart... (could be wrong though, you never know what anyone will do next)

Honestly, while I'd love to have the fastest CPU or whatever... cost and support are very important to me. I have a friend who's still got a socket A 1700+ CPU (don't know what series) that'll play even the most demanding of today's games. I just don't need that sort of performance at the moment.

Oh well, I might flip sides (though, I've never really had anything but an Intel CPU) once I see identical condition tests for Athlon/X2/FX series vs Core 2 Duos.

Any other advice/concerns? I'd love some advice on a PSU... anything in black that'll work would be great (no need for SLI support, but modular would be nice though not necessary).
July 6, 2006 2:24:10 AM

Most Likely Provide It an Meet The Power Requrements, But It Will Need A BIOS Update
July 6, 2006 2:36:03 AM

Quote:

So, my mobo will work with K8L? Or will I have to get a new mobo compatible with K8L? What exactly are all the K__s (ie, K6, K8N, etc.).

If everything goes as expected, all you will need is a bios update.

The k's are just designating which product it is, much like p1, p2, p3, and p4 from intel.

With regards to the psu: I personally don't believe in overkill. While initially it may be more than you need, over time it will prove to be better.

So I say, if you find a psu that you like, and it's in your price range, go for it. Never mind that it has 2-3, maybe even 400 watts of extra power, when it starts to degrade after a few years, it will continue to deliver satisfactory power, long after a lesser one would have kicked the bucket.

At least thats what I think. Maybe your situation calls for a smaller unit, but from what I can tell, the sky is the limit for you.
July 6, 2006 3:23:40 AM

Do you really need that Raptor HD there? Unless you want the cool looking window to see the actual HD i suggest you stick with 7200RPM ones. They are cheaper, bigger, and perform just as well. With the money you save you can get a better mobo - 590SLI for example. I hear 590SLIs perform better memory-wise, it would also be worthwhile if you DO plan to go SLI evetually.
July 6, 2006 5:42:11 AM

Quote:
Do you really need that Raptor HD there? Unless you want the cool looking window to see the actual HD i suggest you stick with 7200RPM ones. They are cheaper, bigger, and perform just as well. With the money you save you can get a better mobo - 590SLI for example. I hear 590SLIs perform better memory-wise, it would also be worthwhile if you DO plan to go SLI evetually.

My case does have a window... and I do love the look of everything inside (I plan to have a huge cooler for my CPU and something for my GPU). I've had enough PCs with the plain beige box or square laptops. The 590 mobos are pretty much the same price range as the Conroe mobos so if I wantend to spend that much I would've gone for a Conroe based system. The Raptor will house my OS, games, and apps so they they start up faster.:) 
July 6, 2006 11:29:16 PM

Quote:

My case does have a window... and I do love the look of everything inside (I plan to have a huge cooler for my CPU and something for my GPU). I've had enough PCs with the plain beige box or square laptops. The 590 mobos are pretty much the same price range as the Conroe mobos so if I wantend to spend that much I would've gone for a Conroe based system. The Raptor will house my OS, games, and apps so they they start up faster.:) 

Ok, make sure you get one of them Raptors with clear casing :wink: (shame they don't have LEDs to light up the inside of the HD case, that would've been cool :)  ). Although any performance you gain from having a faster HD will probably be outwieghed by having a slower memory subsystem (in comparison to 590SLI).
July 7, 2006 12:04:46 AM

Id Say Thats Good News
July 7, 2006 12:28:20 AM

Quote:

Where? In Cuba?
July 7, 2006 12:31:41 AM

I Dont Know About The Bartons, But He Is, However Right About S939, Because The Upcoming S939 Semprons (And A Rumored Budget Dual-Core "Sempron X2" Are Planned For S939) And Laptop Motherboards For AMD CPU's Are Slowly And Surely Moving From Socket 754 To S939 For Upcoming Turions And Turion X2s
July 7, 2006 12:32:19 AM

Quote:
Id Say Thats Good News

I agree. I wonder how that'll work out for the integrated memory controllers though. Is just that DDR2 and DDR3 are mechanically compatible and the mobos will be able to handle the differences? Or am i just missing something?

Edit:
Just read the second paragraph of the anandtech link. D'oh!
July 7, 2006 12:34:37 AM

Yes, Supossedly They Are Machanically And Electrically Simular, Just Improvments In CAS Latency, Higher Speeds (800 - 1GHz DDR) And A Lower Voltage (Witch Is Likely Reduced On The Actual Sticks, But I Could Be Wrong However
July 7, 2006 12:36:24 AM

And That
July 7, 2006 12:41:13 AM

I seem to remember Toms having a story about it at one point... I don't think I read that one all the way through either. I'll try to find the link.
July 7, 2006 12:52:07 AM

Quote:
I seem to remember Toms having a story about it at one point... I don't think I read that one all the way through either. I'll try to find the link.

ANand had a story about it that says "240 pins but not pin compatible"

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3169
July 7, 2006 12:52:43 AM

I think it was one of the briefly noted weblinks... Can't find it using the search feature (which I don't like too much, by the way. It doesn't bring up very many search results). I did however find an interesting article from 2000:

The 150Mhz Project

Its always fun to look back and see the HUGE :roll: performance gains that were attained with earlier hardware. It also makes easier to be a bit laid back about current situations: in 3 years, people will be looking at today and laughing, just as they do with articles like this.
July 7, 2006 1:01:48 AM

I think thats the one. I remember A-Data being mentioned. Anyone seen anything more recent?
July 7, 2006 2:19:43 AM

Hm... more decisions.

It seems that it would be wise to get a cheaper mobo and slower RAM for now (667 or maybe just get some regular old DDR400?) and save the money and build up for a AM3 mobo and DDR3 memory.:D 

What do you guys think, good idea?
July 7, 2006 2:29:14 AM

I agree. Get whats good now, get the AM3 mobo and ram when they become available, then buy your proc when you can.

Honestly DDR400 still has some life left in it for the meantime, but personally I would go for an AM2 with DDR2, it was cheaper last time I checked.

Either way, it'll be two years before we see any of this come to fruition, so get a computer that you won't be frustrated with now, because you are likely to have it for 2 or 3 years without a major overhaul. Unless, of course, you make more money than the average college student (me). Then you can rebuild whenever you want.
July 7, 2006 2:33:16 AM

Yeah, I'll probably get some DDR2 667 and a mobo in the sub $100 range. I should be able to put a few hundred dollars on the side by 2008 for a new mobo and memory.

Seems like a good idea. Well, I still don't plan to order until the end of the month so I have time to think it over.:) 
July 7, 2006 2:39:47 AM

I don't know if you have seen them, but the ASrock Upgrade series of boards are a very nice thing. I have the 939Dual SATA II and it is great. You can get an upgrade board for 30 sum bucks and make it AM2, then AM3 when that comes out with a similar board. $66.99, $32.99

The performance difference isn't that different from a native AM2 board from what several review sites have mentioned, and it gives a bit of flexibility in what processor you want.

As well as video card. Thats the main reason I got it.
July 7, 2006 3:07:55 AM

I've actually been looking at that Asrock, it looks great IMO.:) 

If not, I'll probably get an ASUS. I really don't like the Biostar and MSI designs.
July 7, 2006 3:11:34 AM

I do like the fact that the Biostar has 2 PATA ports, unlike most other AM2s. It really sucks that Asrock doesn't support DDR2 though. But that shouldn't matter as the slower CPUs don't really benefit too much from DDR2.
July 7, 2006 3:16:52 AM

Ive seen it in several places. its the 32.99 link in my earlier post.
July 7, 2006 4:01:24 AM

Ah... I see it now, I didn't notice that it upgraded the memory too. This is very intriguing indeed and definitely worth a look.

But I'm not too sure about that. I'm reading about it now and while the mobo should suite me just fine, I'm not sure about that CPU upgrade board.
July 7, 2006 4:10:13 AM

The only issues that I have seen anyone with with the board is the fact that you can't use outsize coolers. However many of the medium size and all of the stock coolers will fit in the form factor. Now if you went with watercooling, it would be a non-issue.

The only other possible problem was a bit of extra latency that may be introduced by the longer leads to the motherboard. Fortunately, this seems to be less of a problem than some felt it might be, and in the benchmarks that I saw, the differences were minor, if any.
July 7, 2006 6:08:15 PM

I do plan to get a nice cooler for my CPU because my dorm room is increadibly hot during the first month and final month of school. My laptops CPU fan would rarely go off...

Plus, if I use that slot, I don't think I'll be able to use the spare expansion slots on my case need for the USB ports/fireware on the back (my other slots will use components I already have like a TV Tuner and Wi-Fi card).
July 7, 2006 7:25:47 PM

Get what suits your needs. If you get something that is going to irk you right off the bat, you won't ever be happy with it. Find a good board, the NForce board that was mentioned earlier is a great start. Some boards have built in wifi so you could cut down on one card, and others have some features like solid state capacitors and such. Often they get expensive though.

I like the Nvidia chipsets for their plethora of features, but you should really shop around for the best one for your money.
July 7, 2006 8:08:39 PM

Yeah, I am... but it seems like everywhere I look, the ASrocks are considered the best budget boards. Maybe I'll just get an ASrock AM2. They look really solid.

Well, whatever I end up getting, many thanks to you and verndewd, and the rest for all the help.:) 
July 7, 2006 9:55:29 PM

Go w/ conroe E6300, it overclocks to 5ghz on air easy.
Just kidding. been seeing those absurd posts so many times and I get a good laugh every time.
Intel's deception is prevailing and the pattern of deceit continues.
Conroe is near bust by own maker, Intel.
read all about it from now on.
Just my 2 cents: stay as far away from conroe and conroe lovers.
You heard it from me. More to come.
July 8, 2006 4:19:10 AM

Quote:
Go w/ conroe E6300, it overclocks to 5ghz on air easy.
Just kidding. been seeing those absurd posts so many times and I get a good laugh every time.
Intel's deception is prevailing and the pattern of deceit continues.
Conroe is near bust by own maker, Intel.
read all about it from now on.
Just my 2 cents: stay as far away from conroe and conroe lovers.
You heard it from me. More to come.

I wonder what you mean. It would be a nice break from all the smoke we have had blown up all everywhere recently. Or is this just something from someone who is really tired of having a product that starts with "e" being god for the past few weeks?

Hopefully there is something worthwhile behind this warning...
July 8, 2006 6:14:11 PM

Quote:

Word.
July 8, 2006 6:23:47 PM

Quote:
Hey vinny,i hope you will excuse my error,but for some reason i mixed up the upgrade compatibility,aad(age aquired dyslexia)you will be able to drop an m3 into an am2,and not the other way around.so doing an am3 all out requires a full package upgrade to get ddr3.
I apologize for the error.

No worries man, I read the article and didn't even notice the mistake. I guess I knew what you meant without actually catching your mistake.:) 

Oh and I've decided against that card reader altogether. Do I really need one? Nah... I can do my photo editing on my laptop or use a Xover cable to transfer data if necessary.:lol: 

Here's my updated system specs, a bit different then what it was at first.
Case: Ultra Aluminus Mid-Tower $95.00
Mobo: ASUS M2N AM2 nForce 570 $95.99
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 600W $129.99
Memory: Corsair XMS DDR2 800 1GB x2 $199.99
HD1: Seagate 7200RPM 320GB $105.99
GPU: Sapphire Radeon X1800XT $259.99
Soundcard: Diamond Audio XtremeSound 7.1 $57.99
Optical1: Samsung 16x DVD DL Burner w/LS $38.99
Optical2: Sony DVD-ROM drive $19.99
Floppy: Sony Floppy Drive $7.99
Monitor: Gateway 21" Multimedia LCD $499.99
Mouse: Logitech MX518 $38.95
Keyboard: Logitech Multimedia keyboard $9.99
Misc: AeroCool 120mm x 2 $29.98
Misc: Rosewill IDE to SATA $12.99
Misc: SunBeam LED Lighting- multichoice, interior $17.99
Misc: SunBeam LED Lighting- red, exterior x2 $15.98
Misc: Crossover Cable $2.49

I decided against a Raptor... I mean, if my Laptop can start up in 30 seconds then I figure this system will start up in 20 easily. I know a Raptor would be much faster but not worth paying $50 more for 240GB less space. I also down graded the PSU a bit but it'll be an awesome PSU nontheless (it's a Fortron Source at heart!). I really think the ASUS mobos a nice so I went with that except a non-SLI version and also went back up to DDR2 800 memory so that I'm ready for an AM2 X2 CPU when they become really cheap (I won't jump to AM3 right away..) Plus, I'm going for a really sweet monitor and a higher-mid range GPU.

What do you guys think? 8)
July 8, 2006 6:43:02 PM

Its lookin good, and right on about the hard drive. Not everyone needs a raptor, and they are best in pairs. :roll:

However, if you are going to get an ide to sata converter, I recommend getting a native sata drive. I say this for two reasons, and both are from experience:

1. They can be pretty obnoxious and tempermental. Not to mention their very high power usage (1A on the 12V rail! 12W!) for such a small thing.

2. They lower burst speeds tremendously. Currently I have one setup with one on it just because I bought the drive before SATA was big. Got one of the converters to slim down the cables, and that did its job. Unfortunately, HD Tach has shown a 10MB/s drop from 90MB/s to 80MB/s just from the overhead of the converter having to change things around.

So, these converters are only good if you already have the drive, not if you haven't bought it yet. Generally there is a SATA version that is in the same price range and of the same style.

Just my thoughts on that. Everything else looks good though. I like the memory and the monitor especially. Wish I had that sort of money to spend on such components. :cry: 

I would also like to mention that when you go for two optical drives, I have found that two burners are much more useful than one of each. Especially if each have its own channel since you have SATA hard drives.
July 8, 2006 7:11:38 PM

Quote:

Word.

July 8, 2006 7:20:07 PM

I must say I laugh everytime I see that picture.
July 8, 2006 7:22:27 PM

Quote:
I must say I laugh everytime I see that picture.
Thank you thats our spud owning some noobs with his gat.
July 8, 2006 8:33:51 PM

Sadly, yes, that IDE to SATA is for an IDE drive I already own. It's 300GB inside an external USB2.0. My read/write/transfer speeds are all in the 25-30MB/s range so even if it's 50MB/s I'll be happy. But I didn't know they used more power... I though that thing only converted the IDE to SATA and left the power alone. Well, I should have plenty of power and amps to spare hopefully.

I might consider getting dual burners, regular burners aren't that much more than just the drive. Sadly, I can't give them each their own IDE line... most AM2 nForce 5 mobos only have 1x PATA for some reason. :x
July 9, 2006 3:19:08 AM

Stinks that you can't find one with two PATAs. If you absolutely can't find one, I recommend skipping the dual burners altogether and just go with one with some cool accessory filling another slot. Something like one of those cupholders would be pretty neat...
July 9, 2006 4:16:15 AM

Do two optical drives on one PATA really hurt performance that much? Even if I'm just using one of the drives at a time?8O
July 9, 2006 4:51:16 AM

Quote:
you may find that you cannot run both burning at the same time.... you may get buffer underrun errors.

Yeah, thats the what I was alluding to. Anything in a master/slave setup on a PATA cable cannot write directly from one device to the other, and you cannot write to both at the same time (im talking in instances, not the real time, subtle difference). When you put one on each channel, you are able to copy "on the fly" where it takes information from one and goes directly to the other, rather than having to have large bits cached in the ram. This is precicely why you have to have hard drives on a dedicated channel for raid setups, at least for PATA.

Edit:
I feel I must qualify what I said about skipping the dual burners. If they are on the same channel, you will find it difficult/impossible to use both simultaneously. In my several years of having such a setup, I have found myself mainly using one while often forgetting the other existed, thus wasting my time/space. I must say, if you feel like it, go right ahead, but there will be little advantage to it. If you are buying the parts outright, the money could be better spent elsewhere, if even for part of a decent game. But no, there will be no performance disadvantage when only one is in use at a time. However, if you try to read or write from both at the same time, you run a high risk of locking up your computer for a few minutes while windows figures everything out. This is easy enough to avoid, just don't try to read/write at the same time. 8O

Make it your computer. This is something that is totally up to you, and you will have to see if it is your preference to have two burners or not. (on a side note, sometimes the pata-sata converters work with CD/DVD burners as well...)
!