Login script & network printers

Users login to our 2003 domain and run a logon script which maps various
network drives and network printers. However the printers dont map the first
time the user logs in. Only works if i give there user account admin rights.
Users are on XP machines. Not sure if its a local rights thing or not because
I know normally a non-admin user on XP can install a network printer. The
script is set up as normal as logon.bat in the users account profile tab in
AD.
Any help appreciated.
--
Ian
Pragma Systems

Ian,

Users need to be members of either the local Power Users or local
Administrators group to install Printers. If they are simply members of the
local Users group ( the default ) then the will not be able to install
printers.

You might want to look at the Restricted Groups GPO to make your domain user
account objects members of the local Power Users group. However, be aware
of what this means ( access to more directories and registry areas,
installing more software, etc. ).

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"Ian Clark" <IanClark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Users login to our 2003 domain and run a logon script which maps various
> network drives and network printers. However the printers dont map the
> first
> time the user logs in. Only works if i give there user account admin
> rights.
> Users are on XP machines. Not sure if its a local rights thing or not
> because
> I know normally a non-admin user on XP can install a network printer. The
> script is set up as normal as logon.bat in the users account profile tab
> in
> AD.
> Any help appreciated.
> --
> Ian
> Pragma Systems
> Aberdeen

Thanks. So is there not a way to allow them to install just printers as if I
give them power users it defeats my intention of preventing them from
installing any software

"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

> Ian,
>
> Users need to be members of either the local Power Users or local
> Administrators group to install Printers. If they are simply members of the
> local Users group ( the default ) then the will not be able to install
> printers.
>
> You might want to look at the Restricted Groups GPO to make your domain user
> account objects members of the local Power Users group. However, be aware
> of what this means ( access to more directories and registry areas,
> installing more software, etc. ).
>
> --
> Cary W. Shultz
> Roanoke, VA 24014
> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
>
> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
>

> "Ian Clark" <IanClark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Users login to our 2003 domain and run a logon script which maps various
> > network drives and network printers. However the printers dont map the
> > first
> > time the user logs in. Only works if i give there user account admin
> > rights.
> > Users are on XP machines. Not sure if its a local rights thing or not
> > because
> > I know normally a non-admin user on XP can install a network printer. The
> > script is set up as normal as logon.bat in the users account profile tab
> > in
> > AD.
> > Any help appreciated.
> > --
> > Ian
> > Pragma Systems
> > Aberdeen

Not sure! I would need to work on this. AFAIK, users need to be at least
Power Users to install printers.