New Build, Please Review

DirtDemon

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Planning on an Intel System, do not want to wait for Conroe but planning on getting Mobo to support it in future.

Primary uses, Web/Graphic Design, DV Editing, DVD Authoring, Battlefield 2.

Already Purchased
Cooler Master Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Case
Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W PS

Planning on Purchasing
Intel Pentium D 940 or 950 - is the 950 (.2 ghz) worth over $100 difference?

Intel 975XBXLKR Mobo

WD Caviar 320GB WD3200KS

Radeon X1800XT 512 MB

Using a DVD burner I already have for now.

I need some suggestions on DDr2 Memory, the Intel Board supports 533/667 I would like 2GB (2x1GB) Was looking at Corsair XMS but didnt see any at those speeds so I am back to square one for memory.

Does anyone see any issues, have any suggestions?

Thanks!

louky

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
I'm a noob when it comes to building computers, but I can predict the future. Everyone will say wait for/go with the Conroe. ;)

DirtDemon

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Well they can say that... but then they wouldnt be reading my specific and detailed first sentence where I clearly say that I do not want to wait on Conroe.

So does anyone else have some feedback about my hardware choice and my DDR2 Ram Question?

Thanks! :D

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Well they can say that... but then they wouldnt be reading my specific and detailed first sentence where I clearly say that I do not want to wait on Conroe.

So does anyone else have some feedback about my hardware choice and my DDR2 Ram Question?

Thanks! :D

200MHz is not really worth $100. What is your timetable for going to Conroe? If you tell me sooner than later, I would get a D 930 even.

As for the RAM look at Corsair XMS CLS4 DDR2-667 (I think its like PC-5400) for RAM.

DirtDemon

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
The conroe time table would be later, at least 6 - 8 months at the earliest.

I agree on the processor, I can spend the money elsewhere.

Thanks for the memory suggestion.

DirtDemon

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Here is something interesting, on Corsair's website when you choose the Intel 975XBX board it only reccomends DDR2 800 Memory, wouldn't that be a waste as it would just run at 667?

busygamer01

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
excellent choice for the video card the X1800XT will keep you satisfied for years to come with your gaming experience. Go with Corsair XMS ram it is overall the best ram, prefect for oc'ing because of the heat spreaders. As for the cpu go with AMD because it beats Intel in every category, especially in gaming and video editing and it uses less energy and produces less heat than Intel. Either the AM2 or the 939 socket cpu will be fine because they are "almost similar in performance, but the AM2 uses less energy and produces less heat. As for the psu go with the Enermax Liberty 500W power supply because I doubt you will need more power than that and you will have plenty of juice left for upgrading/adding your components. Overall your pc will perform flawlessly if you go along with an AMD cpu.

:D

kizuki

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
There's not much of a difference between the two sticks of Corsair XMS ram you showed me, so i'd say to go for the cheaper one. If DDR2-800 is compatible with that chipset than by all means go buy it for the faster clock.

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Check out NewEgg, they have a $40 mail-in rebate with the DDR2-667 OCZ Gold Series RAM (2 x 1 GB) that they're selling at a price of around $140. You prefer Intel so Intel it is although I would recommend AM2. (AM2 3800+ Single Core, Corsair XMS DDR2-800 [2 x 1GB or 2 x 512MB], eVGA 7900GT [Or the X1800XT 512MB] and you're set.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Check out NewEgg, they have a $40 mail-in rebate with the DDR2-667 OCZ Gold Series RAM (2 x 1 GB) that they're selling at a price of around $140. You prefer Intel so Intel it is although I would recommend AM2. (AM2 3800+ Single Core, Corsair XMS DDR2-800 [2 x 1GB or 2 x 512MB], eVGA 7900GT [Or the X1800XT 512MB] and you're set.

Your recommendation is biased and terrible at best

with the cheap price of intel's dual cores right now and the upgradge path to a conroe CPU that will beat anything amd has to offer until K8L(which is coming out when?) there is no reason to go with AM2 especially when it is rumored that the new quad-core kentsfield will be drop in compatible with conore supported mobos!

have you seen all the problems and complaints about the 7900GT, i would say no, and on top of that you mention eVGA the manufacturing who has had the most issues with it, not even mentioning a solution to all the problems people are having, look around and you'll see nightmare stories of how people have RMA'd not once, not twice but three times in some cases...just look here, 9 pages of defective cards

as for its performance it is mostly the equivalent to a X1800XT most likely losing by only a small margin, but performance only counts if it works

so please next time keep your shotty recommendation to yourself and save someone the trouble

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006

Your recommendation is biased and terrible at best

with the cheap price of intel's dual cores right now and the upgradge path to a conroe CPU that will beat anything amd has to offer until K8L(which is coming out when?) there is no reason to go with AM2 especially when it is rumored that the new quad-core kentsfield will be drop in compatible with conore supported mobos!

have you seen all the problems and complaints about the 7900GT, i would say no, and on top of that you mention eVGA the manufacturing who has had the most issues with it, not even mentioning a solution to all the problems people are having, look around and you'll see nightmare stories of how people have RMA'd not once, not twice but three times in some cases...just look here, 9 pages of defective cards

as for its performance it is mostly the equivalent to a X1800XT most likely losing by only a small margin, but performance only counts if it works

so please next time keep your shotty recommendation to yourself and save someone the trouble Thanks for the uhh...thought? I'll try to research more next time before recommending something that might screw up someone's money but just for you to know, I'm not biased. :) I thought he wouldn't upgrade to Conroe, I misread the 1st post. I thought he would just stick to Pentium Ds. Because right now, AM2 IS faster than Pentium Ds right? I misunderstood the topic starter, my apologies... :idea: :arrow:

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
yes an AM2 setup would most likely be faster than most pentium d's out right now, but with the cheap price of intel's dual cores its not hard to get a equal performing pentium d, i mean the pentium d's aren't great but when there cheap and offer decent if not equivalent performance to a cpu that is 50-75 bucks more then why not go with it , and with the upgrade option to conroe i believe its the smartest plan to go the route he is

newtist

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
im still in awe that he cant wait 2 or 3 more weeks. Ive waited forever to build the gaming computer ive always wanted. but i figure that since ive waited THIS long, i think i can wait for conroe. if its the budget that is the problem, then wait for conroe, but if u can fork out the extra money, then id say wait a couple weeks. its not THAT hard. i think u can do it dirtdemon!!!!!

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
what your not understanding is that conroe wont be readily available in two weeks, only vendors like hp and dell might have conroe systems out at that time, also the demand in addition to a shortage of supply could result in high initial prices of conroe, so if he wants to wait a few months atleast after conroe comes out and prices come back down he can then get a conroe...if you think your going to get a conroe cpu within the next 2 weeks i'm sorry, but your going to be disappointed...

DirtDemon

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
what your not understanding is that conroe wont be readily available in two weeks, only vendors like hp and dell might have conroe systems out at that time, also the demand in addition to a shortage of supply could result in high initial prices of conroe, so if he wants to wait a few months atleast after conroe comes out and prices come back down he can then get a conroe...if you think your going to get a conroe cpu within the next 2 weeks i'm sorry, but your going to be disappointed...

This is exactly why I do not want to build the system as a conroe system right now, I have no desire to be on the cutting edge, the system I have specced will meet all my needs and exceed them most likly. later this year when all the hype has blown over, the bugs figured out, the prices dropped then I can upgrade this system to Conroe or build an entire new conroe rig.

Thanks to all for the feedback, it has been helpful.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
You can't wait two weeks? Also, get a cheap video card now to hold you over until the DX10 video cards come out. It's tough to wait, but you'll be so happy that you did. The cheapest Conroe will pwn all Pentium Ds and Athlon 64 X2s. DX10 video cards will pwn all DX9 video cards because DX10 cards are designed for a more advanced rendering system. DX10 cards won't have a problem with any DX9 game.

chenBrazil

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
if you plan future conroe upgrade in your 975 motherboard, get DDR2 800 or DDR2-1000 memory. DDR2-800 will be compatible with 533 or 667 for your CPU , and will be minimum for Conroe... otherwise you will need to change the memory later ... better memory series are for OC masters... if you will not OC you rig... any choice will be good from Corsair, patriot, mushikin or Gkill...