Native Mode requirement for ADMT 2?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

We have 2003 source domain and 2003 destination domain. (Domain
consolidation - different FORESTS)

The destination domain...does it have to be NATIVE mode 2003 for ADMT 2.0 to
work? We have just begun but have not found problems by migrating to
non-native 2003 destination domain.

Can someone clarify this please?
4 answers Last reply
More about native mode requirement admt
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    JPM,

    Generally speaking, Native Mode is a requirement of ADMT. This is to make
    the transition from NT to AD easier. Mixed environments rarely require
    transition of objects from one directory to another! Reference this link for
    more information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326480

    -Allen Firouz

    "JPM" wrote:

    > We have 2003 source domain and 2003 destination domain. (Domain
    > consolidation - different FORESTS)
    >
    > The destination domain...does it have to be NATIVE mode 2003 for ADMT 2.0 to
    > work? We have just begun but have not found problems by migrating to
    > non-native 2003 destination domain.
    >
    > Can someone clarify this please?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    The domain does not need to be at Windows 2003 level for SIDHistory to work,
    it just need to be at Windows 2000 Native Mode level. As long as the
    destination domain is running at that level then migrating users with ADMTv2
    and using SIDHistory should work fine.

    Phil

    "JPM" wrote:

    > We have 2003 source domain and 2003 destination domain. (Domain
    > consolidation - different FORESTS)
    >
    > The destination domain...does it have to be NATIVE mode 2003 for ADMT 2.0 to
    > work? We have just begun but have not found problems by migrating to
    > non-native 2003 destination domain.
    >
    > Can someone clarify this please?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    JPM,

    I think you only need this if you are doing SID History and password
    migration. If you are just migrating the objects, then you don't have to
    have it in native mode. Remember though that it can be in 2000 Native mode
    or 2003 native mode if you are doing the full migration.

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "JPM" <jpm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > We have 2003 source domain and 2003 destination domain. (Domain
    > consolidation - different FORESTS)
    >
    > The destination domain...does it have to be NATIVE mode 2003 for ADMT 2.0
    > work? We have just begun but have not found problems by migrating to
    > non-native 2003 destination domain.
    >
    > Can someone clarify this please?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    Looks like you have your answer.

    Were this a WIN2000 AD environment ( which it clearly is not!! ) then the
    Source Domain would absolutely need to be in Native Mode. I have not played
    with WIN2003 too much so I can not comment on the requirements there. But,
    as I already stated it seems that you have your answer.

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24014

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "JPM" <jpm@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > We have 2003 source domain and 2003 destination domain. (Domain
    > consolidation - different FORESTS)
    >
    > The destination domain...does it have to be NATIVE mode 2003 for ADMT 2.0
    > to work? We have just begun but have not found problems by migrating to
    > non-native 2003 destination domain.
    >
    > Can someone clarify this please?

Domain Microsoft Active Directory Windows