XP Computer Description in 2000 Active Directory

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 28, 2005 11:44:33 AM

Hi,

I'm building a new PC with WinXP SP2. During the setup,
I'm asked to give a Computer Name and a Computer
Description. Let's say I use "USNJACCT1234" as the name
and "US - New Jersey - Accounting - Jane Doe" as the
description.

Once the rest of the install finishes, I add the computer
to our Domain with Domain Controllers running Windows 2000
Server.

The Computer object is added to the domain, but the
Description field is blank. How can I get the PCs
Computer Description to show up in Active Directory?

Thanks

- Los
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:06:04 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:44:33 -0800, "Los" <newpowersoul2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm building a new PC with WinXP SP2. During the setup,
>I'm asked to give a Computer Name and a Computer
>Description. Let's say I use "USNJACCT1234" as the name
>and "US - New Jersey - Accounting - Jane Doe" as the
>description.
>
>Once the rest of the install finishes, I add the computer
>to our Domain with Domain Controllers running Windows 2000
>Server.
>
>The Computer object is added to the domain, but the
>Description field is blank. How can I get the PCs
>Computer Description to show up in Active Directory?
>
>Thanks
>
>- Los

From any Windows XP client:

dsmod computer "%dn%" -desc "%desc%"

Where %dn% is a computer Distinguished Name and %desc% is the description.
See tip 8305 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com for how I set it to the logged on user name.

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:06:05 PM

>From any Windows XP client:
>
>dsmod computer "%dn%" -desc "%desc%"
>
>Where %dn% is a computer Distinguished Name and %desc% is
the description.
>See tip 8305 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
http://www.jsiinc.com for how I set it to the logged on
user name.