XP Computer Description in 2000 Active Directory

Hi,

I'm building a new PC with WinXP SP2. During the setup,
I'm asked to give a Computer Name and a Computer
Description. Let's say I use "USNJACCT1234" as the name
and "US - New Jersey - Accounting - Jane Doe" as the
description.

Once the rest of the install finishes, I add the computer
to our Domain with Domain Controllers running Windows 2000
Server.

The Computer object is added to the domain, but the
Description field is blank. How can I get the PCs
Computer Description to show up in Active Directory?

Thanks

- Los
2 answers Last reply
More about computer description 2000 active directory

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:44:33 -0800, "Los" <newpowersoul2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm building a new PC with WinXP SP2. During the setup,
    >I'm asked to give a Computer Name and a Computer
    >Description. Let's say I use "USNJACCT1234" as the name
    >and "US - New Jersey - Accounting - Jane Doe" as the
    >description.
    >
    >Once the rest of the install finishes, I add the computer
    >to our Domain with Domain Controllers running Windows 2000
    >Server.
    >
    >The Computer object is added to the domain, but the
    >Description field is blank. How can I get the PCs
    >Computer Description to show up in Active Directory?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >- Los

    From any Windows XP client:

    dsmod computer "%dn%" -desc "%desc%"

    Where %dn% is a computer Distinguished Name and %desc% is the description.
    See tip 8305 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com for how I set it to the logged on user name.

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows Server MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com

    >From any Windows XP client:
    >
    >dsmod computer "%dn%" -desc "%desc%"
    >
    >Where %dn% is a computer Distinguished Name and %desc% is
    the description.
    >See tip 8305 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
    http://www.jsiinc.com for how I set it to the logged on
    user name.

    >Jerold Schulman
    >Windows Server MVP
    >JSI, Inc.
    >http://www.jsiinc.com
    >.

    My hero

    - Thanks! :-)

Domain Computers Active Directory Windows