no _udp SRV in DNS

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

I am having problems with my active directory (Win2k server) and everything
is pointing to the DNS. I have a server acting as a DC and running DHCP and
DNS. Someone told me that under the forward lookup zone I should have
certain folders listed one of them being _udp. I have several folders
(_tcp, _mscsd, _sites) but no _udp. Is this a problem and how might I
resolve it. I have recreated the zone a couple of times with no luck.
Other problems I am having that might be related are that I cannot ping my
default gateway to the internet although the internet works fine. I also
cannot ping this server, which has a public IP from any remote network.

My main problem I am trying to fix is that when I try to start up AD, it
says that no authority could be contacted. I have a feeling if I fix this
other stuff then my AD will work again. I also understand that the DNS
forward zone must be identical to the AD domain name. Where can I find out
on the server what the AD domain was named? I am almost positive I have
them set the same, but I didn't knwo where to check to see what the AD
domain name was.

Thanks!

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

I would try a couple of things:

Try installing the Support Tools from the Service Pack CD or from the MS Web
Site and run netdiag /fix from a command prompt. This could resolve the
issue.

Another way is to run the following from the command prompt:

net stop netlogon
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
net start netlogon

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"Ryan Birkenholz" <birkato@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am having problems with my active directory (Win2k server) and everything
>is pointing to the DNS. I have a server acting as a DC and running DHCP
>and DNS. Someone told me that under the forward lookup zone I should have
>certain folders listed one of them being _udp. I have several folders
>(_tcp, _mscsd, _sites) but no _udp. Is this a problem and how might I
>resolve it. I have recreated the zone a couple of times with no luck.
>Other problems I am having that might be related are that I cannot ping my
>default gateway to the internet although the internet works fine. I also
>cannot ping this server, which has a public IP from any remote network.
>
> My main problem I am trying to fix is that when I try to start up AD, it
> says that no authority could be contacted. I have a feeling if I fix this
> other stuff then my AD will work again. I also understand that the DNS
> forward zone must be identical to the AD domain name. Where can I find
> out on the server what the AD domain was named? I am almost positive I
> have them set the same, but I didn't knwo where to check to see what the
> AD domain name was.
>
> Thanks!

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

I have tried all of these commands as per a tech guide on microsoft.com and
none of it seemed to help. I still don't have the _udp folder in my forward
lookup zone.. Correction on my first message though...I can ping my gateway
from the server. I cannot, however, ping this server's public IP from a
remote network.

-Ryan

"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
>I would try a couple of things:
>
> Try installing the Support Tools from the Service Pack CD or from the MS
> Web Site and run netdiag /fix from a command prompt. This could resolve
> the issue.
>
> Another way is to run the following from the command prompt:
>
> net stop netlogon
> ipconfig /flushdns
> ipconfig /registerdns
> net start netlogon
>

> --
> Cary W. Shultz
> Roanoke, VA 24014
> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
>
> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
>

> "Ryan Birkenholz" <birkato@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am having problems with my active directory (Win2k server) and
>>everything is pointing to the DNS. I have a server acting as a DC and
>>running DHCP and DNS. Someone told me that under the forward lookup zone
>>I should have certain folders listed one of them being _udp. I have
>>several folders (_tcp, _mscsd, _sites) but no _udp. Is this a problem and
>>how might I resolve it. I have recreated the zone a couple of times with
>>no luck. Other problems I am having that might be related are that I
>>cannot ping my default gateway to the internet although the internet works
>>fine. I also cannot ping this server, which has a public IP from any
>>remote network.
>>
>> My main problem I am trying to fix is that when I try to start up AD, it
>> says that no authority could be contacted. I have a feeling if I fix
>> this other stuff then my AD will work again. I also understand that the
>> DNS forward zone must be identical to the AD domain name. Where can I
>> find out on the server what the AD domain was named? I am almost
>> positive I have them set the same, but I didn't knwo where to check to
>> see what the AD domain name was.
>>
>> Thanks!

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server (More info?)

Ryan,

My post to you has not shown up in my newsgroup reader in the microsoft
Active Directory for WIN2000 news group....so, I can not check what I
wrote.....

I think that I might told you that the location of both netlogon.dns and
netlogon.dnb is c:\winnt\config. That would be one directory short of
correct! ;-)

The correct location would be c:\winnt\system32\config. Naturally, I am
assuming the default installation.

Sorry for *almost* correct information the first time around.......