are newegg openbox cards safe?

necroshine67

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
newegg has a great deal on an open box x1800xt 512, bit it's open box oem.
could this card be old or something? just wondering cause 249 is an awsome price

cleeve

Illustrious
Well, it's 'safe' as far as Newegg has a great return policy... but you'll probably have to pick up the shipping.

Other than that, it'sa crapshoot. Open box means it was opened for some reason, it might be fine, it might not. If you're willing to return it for a replacement if you have to, it should be OK.

sunangel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
The open box stuff that I've purchased from them in the past has been fully functional, but normally you get only the bare minimum, meaning if your buying a graphic card you will definitely only get the card itself. You will get none of the other stuff such as the cd drvers, dvi-vga dongle, tv out cable and anything else. If you don't need the other stuff, buying either open box or refurbished is a great money saver.

CptCpu

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I'm pretty sure they test the stuff they sell as " open box" I bought a PSU from tigerdirect that was open box and it was like brand new.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
could this card be old or something? just wondering cause 249 is an awsome price

ur gettin ripped off. Since i guess X1800XT are on low supply its expensive. Normally a 512mb version of the X1800Xt was 250$$ new. and the 256 versions got down to 230 dollars.

kizuki

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006

ur gettin ripped off. Since i guess X1800XT are on low supply its expensive. Normally a 512mb version of the X1800Xt was 250$$ new. and the 256 versions got down to 230 dollars.

Yep.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
oh yah, i should recommend something.

i would recommend the 7900GT, since the X1800XT is gettin phased out and more expensive, the 7900GT is way better than the X1900GT and cheaper too.

necroshine67

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
just look on neweeg and you'll see only 8 x1800xt's. the 512 meg is outragous.
over 300 bucks. the asus is 500 bucks.
tigerdirect don't even sale them.
the 7900's are crap. i'll wait till the new shipment ofnew and improved evga's come out at the end of this week and see if 75% of those get rma..

pauldh

Illustrious
Well, it's 'safe' as far as Newegg has a great return policy... but you'll probably have to pick up the shipping.

Other than that, it'sa crapshoot. Open box means it was opened for some reason, it might be fine, it might not. If you're willing to return it for a replacement if you have to, it should be OK.
Great answer Cleeve. IMO you are dead on.

I can't tell you how many newegg refurbs I have bought over the years; a whole bunch to say the least. But more and more I feel they are not a safe buy. My RMA rate has been a huge percentage lately, to the point that I am done with even looking at them. I am tired of paying return shipping and wasting my time on them. Once you have some orders under your belt, Newegg makes deals with you when you have a problem. But they have tightened their willingness to be flexible on refurbs.

Anyway, IMO ATI refurbs with standard warranty are safe. newegg refurbs are a crapshoot like you said. Test them right away and don't order them if an RMA will get you mad.

One company I will never buy a refurb from is Crucial. I was a long time Crucial customer, and thought very highly of them. But bam, a complete mess of a 9700 pro refurb change my opinion of them. The card was beyond junk in 2D & 3D and not only did I pay return shipping, I could only get store credit as they had no replacements. I think he offered me a new 9600se as the cost was about equal :roll: . NEVER will I again buy a Crucial refurb. The rep told me that at checkout the policy is stated and I agreed to it. I just said I'm sure you are right about that, but look at my crucial order history and never once have I read all that fine print. Some sites, sure I would. But I've always just trusted Crucial. I told the rep that "you basically just told me to avoid your clearance deals at all costs; I expected way more from Crucial." *done ranting...where's my bloodpreasure pills*

pauldh

Illustrious
While $15 higher than at their best price, the 256MB X1800XT is still available for around $235 shipped AR. But yeah, the 512MB options are drying up. Blame it on supply/demand, X1900GT performance disappointment, 7900GT burning issues, whatever.

TRENDING THREADS