Very slow Windows XP roaming loggin under Windows 2000 Ser..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 31, 2005 12:25:03 AM

I have a domain under Windows 2000 Server control with roaming profiles for a
10 computer network.
I also have Windows XP Professional computers that take 5-7 min logging in
the roaming profile. However, this does not occur with my Windows 2000 PC´s
that take about 15 sec. to loggin.
What can it do to reduce the loggin times?

Thank you
Daniel
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:29:02 AM

Hi, just to complement my question. I have seen some others and I tought this
aditional information will speed up things.

There is a main network at may work that assigns IP individualy trough an
Administrator. I set up a Windows 2000 Server within our lab in order to
connect 5-10 computer with roaming profiles (all of the computer have pre
assign IP).

The ones that have Windows 2000 Pro take 10 sec to load and the ones that
have Windows XP take from 5-10 min.

The profile roaming file is about 10 megs (we have a 100 network), but it
seems that the probles is not loading the profile but "appling the desktop
information"

What can I do, thank you
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:51:02 AM

Hello and thank you very much for answering, this problem is driving
everybody nuts.

Yes, immediately as I create a roaming user I redirect manually "My
documents" to the virtual drive that is created for the user.

I have it set up so that the "Profiles" and "Users" directory are separate;
this way only about a 1 MB profile is loaded. The rest of the “Users� data is
viewed through the virtual drive, which I redirected to “My documents�.

Some how the problem does not affect the Windows 2000 Pro but it is very
much affecting the Windows XP.

Thank you

Daniel
Related resources
February 15, 2005 5:23:06 PM

Did all Win XP users or one of them face with this problem?
you did not mentioned in your post.

P.S: Check to see if there have bulk of documents on their desktop.
-----What are MVPs doing now? :-)

--
Daniel Martinez" <DanielMartinez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello and thank you very much for answering, this problem is driving
> everybody nuts.
>
> Yes, immediately as I create a roaming user I redirect manually "My
> documents" to the virtual drive that is created for the user.
>
> I have it set up so that the "Profiles" and "Users" directory are
separate;
> this way only about a 1 MB profile is loaded. The rest of the ¡°Users¡±
data is
> viewed through the virtual drive, which I redirected to ¡°My documents¡±.
>
> Some how the problem does not affect the Windows 2000 Pro but it is very
> much affecting the Windows XP.
>
> Thank you
>
> Daniel

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 5:23:07 PM

Check the caching options on the share(s). You probably don't want the
shares set to automatically cache.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"ALEX" <wtalex#gmail.com> wrote in message
Did all Win XP users or one of them face with this problem?
you did not mentioned in your post.

P.S: Check to see if there have bulk of documents on their desktop.
-----What are MVPs doing now? :-)

--
Daniel Martinez" <DanielMartinez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello and thank you very much for answering, this problem is driving
> everybody nuts.
>
> Yes, immediately as I create a roaming user I redirect manually "My
> documents" to the virtual drive that is created for the user.
>
> I have it set up so that the "Profiles" and "Users" directory are
separate;
> this way only about a 1 MB profile is loaded. The rest of the ¡°Users¡±
data is
> viewed through the virtual drive, which I redirected to ¡°My documents¡±.
>
> Some how the problem does not affect the Windows 2000 Pro but it is very
> much affecting the Windows XP.
>
> Thank you
>
> Daniel

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 5:23:07 PM

I was sleeping at that time!

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"ALEX" <wtalex#gmail.com> wrote in message
> Did all Win XP users or one of them face with this problem?
> you did not mentioned in your post.
>
> P.S: Check to see if there have bulk of documents on their desktop.
> -----What are MVPs doing now? :-)
>
> --
> Daniel Martinez" <DanielMartinez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
>> Hello and thank you very much for answering, this problem is driving
>> everybody nuts.
>>
>> Yes, immediately as I create a roaming user I redirect manually "My
>> documents" to the virtual drive that is created for the user.
>>
>> I have it set up so that the "Profiles" and "Users" directory are
> separate;
>> this way only about a 1 MB profile is loaded. The rest of the ¡°Users¡±
> data is
>> viewed through the virtual drive, which I redirected to ¡°My documents¡±.
>>
>> Some how the problem does not affect the Windows 2000 Pro but it is very
>> much affecting the Windows XP.
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Daniel

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 5:23:08 PM

I finally figured it out, IT WAS A DNS PROBREM.

Tank you for the input

"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

> I was sleeping at that time!
>
> --
> Cary W. Shultz
> Roanoke, VA 24014
> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
>
> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
>

> "ALEX" <wtalex#gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Did all Win XP users or one of them face with this problem?
> > you did not mentioned in your post.
> >
> > P.S: Check to see if there have bulk of documents on their desktop.
> > -----What are MVPs doing now? :-)
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Martinez" <DanielMartinez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message
> >> Hello and thank you very much for answering, this problem is driving
> >> everybody nuts.
> >>
> >> Yes, immediately as I create a roaming user I redirect manually "My
> >> documents" to the virtual drive that is created for the user.
> >>
> >> I have it set up so that the "Profiles" and "Users" directory are
> > separate;
> >> this way only about a 1 MB profile is loaded. The rest of the ¡°Users¡±
> > data is
> >> viewed through the virtual drive, which I redirected to ¡°My documents¡±.
> >>
> >> Some how the problem does not affect the Windows 2000 Pro but it is very
> >> much affecting the Windows XP.
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >>
> >> Daniel

Anonymous