Very slow Windows XP roaming loggin under Windows 2000 Ser..

I have a domain under Windows 2000 Server control with roaming profiles for a
10 computer network.
I also have Windows XP Professional computers that take 5-7 min logging in
the roaming profile. However, this does not occur with my Windows 2000 PC´s
that take about 15 sec. to loggin.
What can it do to reduce the loggin times?

Thank you
Daniel
7 answers Last reply
More about very slow windows roaming loggin windows 2000

    Hi, just to complement my question. I have seen some others and I tought this
    aditional information will speed up things.

    There is a main network at may work that assigns IP individualy trough an
    Administrator. I set up a Windows 2000 Server within our lab in order to
    connect 5-10 computer with roaming profiles (all of the computer have pre
    assign IP).

    The ones that have Windows 2000 Pro take 10 sec to load and the ones that
    have Windows XP take from 5-10 min.

    The profile roaming file is about 10 megs (we have a 100 network), but it
    seems that the probles is not loading the profile but "appling the desktop
    information"

    What can I do, thank you

    Hello and thank you very much for answering, this problem is driving
    everybody nuts.

    Yes, immediately as I create a roaming user I redirect manually "My
    documents" to the virtual drive that is created for the user.

    I have it set up so that the "Profiles" and "Users" directory are separate;
    this way only about a 1 MB profile is loaded. The rest of the “Users� data is
    viewed through the virtual drive, which I redirected to “My documents�.

    Some how the problem does not affect the Windows 2000 Pro but it is very
    much affecting the Windows XP.

    Thank you

    Daniel

    Did all Win XP users or one of them face with this problem?
    you did not mentioned in your post.

    P.S: Check to see if there have bulk of documents on their desktop.
    -----What are MVPs doing now? :-)

    --
    Daniel Martinez" <DanielMartinez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello and thank you very much for answering, this problem is driving
    > everybody nuts.
    >
    > Yes, immediately as I create a roaming user I redirect manually "My
    > documents" to the virtual drive that is created for the user.
    >
    > I have it set up so that the "Profiles" and "Users" directory are
    separate;
    > this way only about a 1 MB profile is loaded. The rest of the ¡°Users¡±
    data is
    > viewed through the virtual drive, which I redirected to ¡°My documents¡±.
    >
    > Some how the problem does not affect the Windows 2000 Pro but it is very
    > much affecting the Windows XP.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Daniel

    Check the caching options on the share(s). You probably don't want the
    shares set to automatically cache.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    "ALEX" <wtalex#gmail.com> wrote in message
    Did all Win XP users or one of them face with this problem?
    you did not mentioned in your post.

    P.S: Check to see if there have bulk of documents on their desktop.
    -----What are MVPs doing now? :-)

    --
    Daniel Martinez" <DanielMartinez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello and thank you very much for answering, this problem is driving
    > everybody nuts.
    >
    > Yes, immediately as I create a roaming user I redirect manually "My
    > documents" to the virtual drive that is created for the user.
    >
    > I have it set up so that the "Profiles" and "Users" directory are
    separate;
    > this way only about a 1 MB profile is loaded. The rest of the ¡°Users¡±
    data is
    > viewed through the virtual drive, which I redirected to ¡°My documents¡±.
    >
    > Some how the problem does not affect the Windows 2000 Pro but it is very
    > much affecting the Windows XP.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Daniel

    I was sleeping at that time!

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24014

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "ALEX" <wtalex#gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Did all Win XP users or one of them face with this problem?
    > you did not mentioned in your post.
    >
    > P.S: Check to see if there have bulk of documents on their desktop.
    > -----What are MVPs doing now? :-)
    >
    > --
    > Daniel Martinez" <DanielMartinez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    >> Hello and thank you very much for answering, this problem is driving
    >> everybody nuts.
    >>
    >> Yes, immediately as I create a roaming user I redirect manually "My
    >> documents" to the virtual drive that is created for the user.
    >>
    >> I have it set up so that the "Profiles" and "Users" directory are
    > separate;
    >> this way only about a 1 MB profile is loaded. The rest of the ¡°Users¡±
    > data is
    >> viewed through the virtual drive, which I redirected to ¡°My documents¡±.
    >>
    >> Some how the problem does not affect the Windows 2000 Pro but it is very
    >> much affecting the Windows XP.
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> Daniel

    I finally figured it out, IT WAS A DNS PROBREM.

    Tank you for the input

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

    > I was sleeping at that time!
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24014
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >

    > "ALEX" <wtalex#gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Did all Win XP users or one of them face with this problem?
    > > you did not mentioned in your post.
    > >
    > > P.S: Check to see if there have bulk of documents on their desktop.
    > > -----What are MVPs doing now? :-)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Daniel Martinez" <DanielMartinez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message
    > >> Hello and thank you very much for answering, this problem is driving
    > >> everybody nuts.
    > >>
    > >> Yes, immediately as I create a roaming user I redirect manually "My
    > >> documents" to the virtual drive that is created for the user.
    > >>
    > >> I have it set up so that the "Profiles" and "Users" directory are
    > > separate;
    > >> this way only about a 1 MB profile is loaded. The rest of the ¡°Users¡±
    > > data is
    > >> viewed through the virtual drive, which I redirected to ¡°My documents¡±.
    > >>
    > >> Some how the problem does not affect the Windows 2000 Pro but it is very
    > >> much affecting the Windows XP.
    > >>
    > >> Thank you
    > >>
    > >> Daniel

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    It always is!!! : )

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    "Daniel Martinez" <DanielMartinez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:CF0610C2-E6FB-4EDA-977B-A2B86039F4BD@microsoft.com...

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

    > I was sleeping at that time!
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24014
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
    >

    > "ALEX" <wtalex#gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Did all Win XP users or one of them face with this problem?
    > > you did not mentioned in your post.
    > >
    > > P.S: Check to see if there have bulk of documents on their desktop.
    > > -----What are MVPs doing now? :-)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Daniel Martinez" <DanielMartinez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message
    > >> Hello and thank you very much for answering, this problem is driving
    > >> everybody nuts.
    > >>
    > >> Yes, immediately as I create a roaming user I redirect manually "My
    > >> documents" to the virtual drive that is created for the user.
    > >>
    > >> I have it set up so that the "Profiles" and "Users" directory are
    > > separate;
    > >> this way only about a 1 MB profile is loaded. The rest of the ¡°Users¡±
    > > data is
    > >> viewed through the virtual drive, which I redirected to ¡°My
    > >> documents¡±.
    > >>
    > >> Some how the problem does not affect the Windows 2000 Pro but it is
    > >> very
    > >> much affecting the Windows XP.
    > >>
    > >> Thank you
    > >>
    > >> Daniel

Windows XP Windows 2000 Active Directory Windows