300 watts for next gen dx10 cards!?!?

MatTheMurdera

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Aaaaaaghhhhhh what the ****! OK, rage out. So, it seems both companies have got way more than a little out of hand. Sli and CF will need 1000, yes 1000 watts to operate AT LEAST. Lucky for us (sort of) they both have agreed that they will no longer climb ever higher in power requirements in the future. At least 1000K watts will be the highest ever needed and after this RAM, CPUs, Hard drives ETC. will all be on the fall for power needs. So anyone else wish to add?

O and link:
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2770&p=1

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
FSP has a 300 watt GPU specific power supply out now and Thermaltake has a 250 watt model as well. I haven't seen that OCZ 300 watt power supply anywhere just yet.

They aren't too expensive and can be an alternative to having to buy some humongous 1000 watt monster. If your main power supply was modular then it would be alright but I imagine that having extra cabling would force you to be creative in hiding the wiring

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
Arggg! I'm planning on getting the R600 crossfire system when I build
my computer this fall. I was planning on getting the 1Kw Power & cooling
PSU. Yikes! That might not be enough. - At least, I haven't purchase
anything yet. Waiting for the dust to settle. Nice post !

lbax

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Lets hope that with DDR4 coming online, it will take some of the edge off of the next gen GPU power hunger. Link follows

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/05/samsung_gddr4/

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
At least CPU power requirements are falling but obviously not by enough.

I've got no interest in Crossfire or SLI, but I'm starting to wonder now if my 580w PSU is going to be up to the job for a new system....

taulin

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
300W seems far too excessive for a single card (its getting up there for two cards as well)

perhaps this is the estimate requirement for the (theorized) 8950GX2s or something silly

given the chance that (if what was floating around a while ago was correct) thered be 2 cores running in each nv80 card, 4 cores could possibly then result in the power requirements stated

but thats still going to be some insane heat output, if we are talking a 7900GTX style card, with consuming 200W+ of power i would like to see how they are proposing to provide cooling for the gpu

i_am_not_god

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
but i cant remember where i read it, but didn't 1 of the graphics card companies admit that the power for their graphics cards is getting out of control, and they will be reducing power consumption in their next gen gpu's.
I thought it was on TG Daily, ill have a look to see if i can dig it up.

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
wow thats a lot, 300 watts, well thats what happens when i havent been paing attention to what is going on in the technology world for a month :?

Yep, I created a thread about this last month when the article was first published.

These "300w" video cards are likely to be (IMHO) dual GPU solutions like the nVidia 7950 which consumes around 158w from what I've read. Qual SLI would mean a potential maximum of 316w.

I don't think most people will need to buy a separate PSU just for the GPU since the majority of gamers will only buy a single card/GPU solution. Crossfire/SLI will still be in the realm of those enthusiasts who can afford to buy two cards, or 1 card with 2 GPUs. They can still get by on with a robust PSU.

Quad Crossfire (will that exist?) or SLI is a totally different matter. Now you're talking about some real power consumption.

Both ATI and nVidia will be transitioning over to the 80nm die process which should help with power consumption. But if both of them keep adding millions upon millions of transistors to the GPU, then overall power consumption will increase.

MatTheMurdera

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Sorry about the duplicate thread. Also thanks for the clarification, it didnt seem to make sense why it was 100W for single current cards now and sudenly 3X for the new stuff!

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
300 watts for a video card!!! that only leaves 10 watts for everything else in my system!!!!

But seriously, I think that's a bit much.

MatTheMurdera

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Well, no, I wasnt planing to build a new system, merely upgrade to a DX10 card. Also, I wasnt going to use a 1000W PSU I was just quoting the article.