SBS 2000 and SBS 2003: additional Domain Controllers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

Good morning!

I just wanted to spread the word that in SBS 2000 and SBS 2003 environments
you can indeed have another Domain Controller ( so long as it is running
'just' Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 server and N*O*T SBS ) as long as that
additional Domain Controller is simply 'an additional Domain Controller in
an existing Domain'. In fact, for clarification you may have multiple
additional Domain Controllers

Furthermore, the SBS box needs to hold all five of the FSMO Roles ( Schema
Master, Domain Naming Master, PDC Emulator, RID Master and Infrastructure
Master ).

The other more common restriction is that there can be no Trust set up in an
SBS environment [ except, naturally, in the case whereby you set up a
temporary Trust ( seven days ) to migrate from SBS 2000 to SBS 2003, IIRC ].

There seems to be a common misconception that the SBS server is the only
allowed Domain Controller. This is simply not the case. Just understand
that the SBS box has to be the first Domain Controller ( as each
installation of SBS starts a new forest ) in the environment!

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com
3 answers Last reply
More about 2000 2003 additional domain controllers
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Hello Cary, I have done several deployments with additional DCs to SBS
    envoirments for redundancy porpuse.

    --
    Regards
    Christoffer Andersson

    "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
    > Good morning!
    >
    > I just wanted to spread the word that in SBS 2000 and SBS 2003
    > environments you can indeed have another Domain Controller ( so long as it
    > is running 'just' Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 server and N*O*T SBS ) as
    > long as that additional Domain Controller is simply 'an additional Domain
    > Controller in an existing Domain'. In fact, for clarification you may
    > have multiple additional Domain Controllers
    >
    > Furthermore, the SBS box needs to hold all five of the FSMO Roles ( Schema
    > Master, Domain Naming Master, PDC Emulator, RID Master and Infrastructure
    > Master ).
    >
    > The other more common restriction is that there can be no Trust set up in
    > an SBS environment [ except, naturally, in the case whereby you set up a
    > temporary Trust ( seven days ) to migrate from SBS 2000 to SBS 2003,
    > IIRC ].
    >
    > There seems to be a common misconception that the SBS server is the only
    > allowed Domain Controller. This is simply not the case. Just understand
    > that the SBS box has to be the first Domain Controller ( as each
    > installation of SBS starts a new forest ) in the environment!
    >
    > --
    > Cary W. Shultz
    > Roanoke, VA 24014
    > Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >
    > http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    > http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    I always thought that was stupid but have never dabbled in SBS much. I
    guess everything you read on the internet is not true :)

    --

    Rodney Buike MCSE 2000/2003
    http://thelazyadmin.com

    "Chriss3 [MVP]" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
    > Hello Cary, I have done several deployments with additional DCs to SBS
    > envoirments for redundancy porpuse.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Christoffer Andersson
    > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    >
    > No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
    > http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
    >
    > "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Good morning!
    >>
    >> I just wanted to spread the word that in SBS 2000 and SBS 2003
    >> environments you can indeed have another Domain Controller ( so long as
    >> it is running 'just' Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 server and N*O*T SBS )
    >> as long as that additional Domain Controller is simply 'an additional
    >> Domain Controller in an existing Domain'. In fact, for clarification you
    >> may have multiple additional Domain Controllers
    >>
    >> Furthermore, the SBS box needs to hold all five of the FSMO Roles (
    >> Schema Master, Domain Naming Master, PDC Emulator, RID Master and
    >> Infrastructure Master ).
    >>
    >> The other more common restriction is that there can be no Trust set up in
    >> an SBS environment [ except, naturally, in the case whereby you set up a
    >> temporary Trust ( seven days ) to migrate from SBS 2000 to SBS 2003,
    >> IIRC ].
    >>
    >> There seems to be a common misconception that the SBS server is the only
    >> allowed Domain Controller. This is simply not the case. Just understand
    >> that the SBS box has to be the first Domain Controller ( as each
    >> installation of SBS starts a new forest ) in the environment!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cary W. Shultz
    >> Roanoke, VA 24014
    >> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >>
    >> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    >> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Thelazyadmin.com wrote:
    > I always thought that was stupid but have never dabbled in SBS much.
    > I guess everything you read on the internet is not true :)

    Sure it is! Look, it's even got a nice font. It must be.

    > "Chriss3 [MVP]" <noSpamHere@chrisse.se> wrote in message
    >> Hello Cary, I have done several deployments with additional DCs to
    >> SBS envoirments for redundancy porpuse.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards
    >> Christoffer Andersson
    >> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    >>
    >> No email replies please - reply in the newsgroup
    >> http://www.chrisse.se - Active Directory Tips
    >>
    >> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> skrev i meddelandet
    >>> Good morning!
    >>>
    >>> I just wanted to spread the word that in SBS 2000 and SBS 2003
    >>> environments you can indeed have another Domain Controller ( so
    >>> long as it is running 'just' Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 server
    >>> and N*O*T SBS ) as long as that additional Domain Controller is
    >>> simply 'an additional Domain Controller in an existing Domain'. In
    >>> fact, for clarification you may have multiple additional Domain
    >>> Controllers
    >>>
    >>> Furthermore, the SBS box needs to hold all five of the FSMO Roles (
    >>> Schema Master, Domain Naming Master, PDC Emulator, RID Master and
    >>> Infrastructure Master ).
    >>>
    >>> The other more common restriction is that there can be no Trust set
    >>> up in an SBS environment [ except, naturally, in the case whereby
    >>> you set up a temporary Trust ( seven days ) to migrate from SBS
    >>> 2000 to SBS 2003, IIRC ].
    >>>
    >>> There seems to be a common misconception that the SBS server is the
    >>> only allowed Domain Controller. This is simply not the case. Just
    >>> understand that the SBS box has to be the first Domain Controller (
    >>> as each installation of SBS starts a new forest ) in the
    >>> environment!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Cary W. Shultz
    >>> Roanoke, VA 24014
    >>> Microsoft Active Directory MVP
    >>>
    >>> http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    >>> http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

Domain SBS 2003 Microsoft Active Directory Domain Controller Windows