need cheap alternatives to X800 XL

xfilesguy

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
I have ordered a refurb. X800 XL at the ATI online store...the problem is that my friend who is in canada rite now will be starting the return journey on 21st july itself. I was banking on him to get the card to me here. But ATI says that pre-order and not-in-stock are the same and we may have to wait 3 to 4 weeks before they ship the order.
Now I am stuck again :( ...wat I am looking for is an alternate to X800 XL that comes in the same range (say max. 150USD) and is ready to ship without any delays. I wud have ordered a X850 pro frm ATI's store but it too is on pre-order. The only clearance sale item that is in-stock rite now is the X700pro. Is it gud enough??
Also, I looked arnd on newegg.com and found only a couple of alternatives as far as chipsets are concerned...one is X800GTO and the other is X1600pro. I am not too keen on X1600pro as it has a 128-bit interface. However, is the performance of both comparable, cause then I can think of getting the X1600pro. How gud is a X800GTO? I looked at a comparison with X800XL and it seems they were pretty close (although both were PCI-e but I guess the performance wud simply scale to AGP).

Another thing is that there are a couple of makes available for X800GTO...
POWERCOLOR X800GTO AGP 256MB Radeon GDDR3 and SAPPHIRE 100131SL Radeon X800GTO 256MB GDDR3. The only apparent difference is in the clock speeds:
For the Powercolor, Core clock: 475MHz and Memory Clock: 900MHz
For Sapphire, Core clock: 400MHz and Memory Clock: 980MHz
Which is better?

Thanks...

I thought x850pro was faster then a x800gto?

I thought He was asking for an alternative for $100-200 until ATI shhipped his 850xt in an estimated 3 weeks? I don't know if He mentioned an X850pro is available until then. He ordered an X850xt, I thought.

The x800GTO is around $150. Anyway, He should be fine with it. The one I have works fantastic. It'll hold him over should He decide to buy one.

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I have a Sapphire AGP X800GTO. I have the long red one with the black cooler. Cards of that type don't overclock well but usually unlock to 16 pipes making them equivelant to an X800XL. The Sapphire card with the purple cooler I think comes with a different core that doesn't usually unlock but does overclock some.

Anyway, I have been happy with my unlocked X800GTO. GTOs are faster than X1600Pros.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Badge, I'm not into the american prices. And the pricedifference between agp and pci-e.

The thing I DO know is that the x850pro is cheaper here in Holland then the x800gto.

x850pro is about €125,-
x800gto is about €150,- / €160,-

>>The thing I DO know is that the x850pro is cheaper here in Holland then the x800gto.<<

The (pro) ATI cards are normally not as expensive as the (XT) Radeon Cards here. Depends on what PRO your talking about. The Sapphire X800GTO I am referring to is apparently a second generation release of the model. I ws one of the first to order one from Newegg and they sold out of the Retail Box quickly. Then, Newegg got in some OEM versions of a Sapphire X800GTO which I am asuming has the same core, etc. as the one I have. I thought that was the card the guy from India was referring too. One of the ones he was considering.

Anyway, my son says it's the best card he has ever used. He lays online games a lot. I can't tear it from his hands! LOL! The X800GTO I have is really smooth and plays WoW and Counterstrik (I think) effortlessly Runs cool stock from the box. I used the TRIX software that came with it and bumped it up a little and the heat rose pretty fast. I jus let him run it at stock settings and it performs great. The Sapphire GTO has a 400mhz. core and I think the 256mgs. of DDR3 run around 800mhz (?), (798?). My fastest cards right now are the ones in my sig. The X800GTO does not run as fats as those, but the quality and speed of the card are fabulous.

I have the card that has been talked about all over the place, the Sapphire X800GTO.

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I don't say the x800gto is bad or slow or something. But I thought the x850pro was faster.

Wait ill search it up. Give you the results in a few minutes.

Here links for the x850pro and the x800gto (dont bother the dutch :p just look at the prices)

x850pro:
http://www.sallandautomatisering.nl/?pid=21382&ref=2

x800gto:
http://www.obcs.nl/redir.cgi?page=index2.html&what=ice.cgi&by=ice.cgi?a_ssrp=1&d_word=Sapphire%2011067-03

lol, i just see that there is a cheaper x800gto. A while ago they where much more expensive.

Never mind me then :oops:

Here are the current cards available on Newegg:

X800GTO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102002

X850XT PCIE:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102505

Damn. We were talking about AGP8's weren't we? The guy rom india mentioned these two cards. I thought He wanted an AGP8 card? One if these will fit! LOL!

>>I have the long red one with the black cooler. Cards of that type don't overclock well but usually unlock to 16 pipes making them equivelant to an X800XL. The Sapphire card with the purple cooler I think comes with a different core that doesn't usually unlock but does overclock some. <<

i have the same one. The really long one. Not the one with the purple cooler. I bought one of the Sapphire 9600Xt's and put it in a kids computer with an ABIT dual core capable MB I had laying around and two matching 256's of Corsair XMX PC3200. He is in computer game heaven!

dvs1

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Try www.ncix.com They are a good canadian online retailer based out of Vancouver and they have x800 xl's in stock according to the site.

xfilesguy

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
Thanks for replying everybody...
I guess it makes more sense to spend a bit more and get a x800GTO rather than a x1600pro, rite? I guess x800xt (does it come in AGP?) wud be too expensive for me anyhow.
Just tell me abt the power requirements of this card (the AGP x800GTO)...wud a 300W PSU be enough?
And yeah I had checked out www.ncix.com earlier but thanks anyway.