What's a good temperature for the P5WD2-E premium?

damdirtyape

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I'm kinda a newb at this sorry.
I noticed that the temperature monitoring program for the Motherboard had a preset threshold temp of 45 C for the MB and 60 C for the procesor... why is there such a big difference? Should/can the motherboard temperature be higher?

thx

MacrosTheBlack

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Motherboard temperatures in no case should even approach CPU temperature, I'd say that anything over 45 degrees C is worrying.

CPU temperate thresholds are completely up to the CPU type, however, under normal circumstances I dont' see you ruining a processor unless you structurally let it run over 75 degrees

Oliver_FF

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
If you've got some good airflow through your case your temps should plummet for the motherboard. The P5WD2-E Premium relies on lots of airflow over it as there's no fans on any of it's sinks.

I orignially had a single exhaust fan on the back of my case, the motherboard temps were in the region your talking about. I added a front intake fan and my temps dropped down to the high 20's.

If you don't want to spend the money on more fans, just try removing some covers on empty drive bays and watch the temps drop :p (that's how i figured i could do with some more fans)