ASUS as a legitimate cardmaker

BobtheDead

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Nvidia based cards worry me only on the basis that the last nvidia card I owned was made by PNY, and was garbage. From there, I realized that nvidia doesnt make crappy videocards, as they aren't in the videocard market. Nvidia is in the supplier market for videocards. So, my first nvidia-styled experience was one of frequent lockups, crashes, and fists slammed repeatedly on desktops. Its not like it was nvidia's fault, directly, but if nvidia starting selling cards like ATI, Id be less worried. Now, that I am in the market for a fantastic looking 7950gx2, Im debating the maker of the card.

Newegg has a combo where the asus board I want does -$50 off the ASUS-flavored 7950. Sounds like a great deal but Im scared of half thought-through cards. So, this being said.... how does ASUS stackup as a video card manufacturer? Furthermore, my current (2 years) motherboard is an ASUS and I addore it... so why the hesistance for another ASUS product? Prehaps its the F-ton of money? I really dont want to become screwed over another bad nvidia-themed product and would like some input!

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
What ASUS motherboard do you run?

ASUS graphics cards are good, but I'm pretty sure there are better ones out there, which I'm sure others will reccommend to you.

BTW, ATi don't manufacture graphics cards any more.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Personally i don't like Asus but thats because i have had bad luck with their mobos and a gpu (luckily not mine but a client's wich was returned and replaced). Other people have had bad luck with other manufacturers so it's not a one sided thing.

Different manufacturers have different features so pick the one that you like most/can find the cheapest (if you're on a budget).

BoRDeNWaSSeR_RoCCo

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I must say I'm pretty impressed by Asus...
I run 2 6800GT dual and they provided me (almost a year ago) with a driver that sent my 4 GPU's up and running before NVidia even thought about quad GPU.
Allthough usually Asus drivers are sjeit , this one get's all 4 running evenly spread out (performance wise)...

BobtheDead

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
its odd then, how i can be so picky. if its not an asus motherboard, then its not going in my pc. i got this way through postive experiences with low to highend motherboards. id imagine if they know what they are doing with motherboards then they might have a good chance of getting vga's right. then again, its less of a gamble with a 200 dollar motherboard versus 600 dollar video card.

i supposed im looking for the doomsayer to come out and declare asus 'the devil' and turn me off of asus's videocards. i dont want to make a slighty less expensive choice and wind up stuck on a card that, you know, bites.

BoRDeNWaSSeR_RoCCo

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I live in holland and here the warrenty service is excellent I must say ;
a friend of mine with a P4P800 motherboard which broke down and he got a new P4 motherboard in two weeks or so and gave a wireless card with it and excused themselves for not having the P4P800 in stock while the new one was better.
Also I wan't to point out that every graphicscard or motherboard build after 2001 has 3 year warrenty.
The best part is because it is another board he get's another 3 years...

Asus imo has a very good reputation when it comes to building graphicscards.
Allthough you might pay a little more some times they made one of the first multi GPU solutions to be found on the market.
They also made a 7800GTX dual besides the 6800GT dual which I have.
They even provided me with a custom driver to get the cards running in quad SLI (almost a year ago) before NVidia even was thinking about putting drivers out for 4 GPU's in SLI.
How's that for support?

M_with_one_M

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Sometimes ASUS likes to do things their own way, so they fit the cards with different memory then the reference cards.

Just check so you know what you are buying.

optydave

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I have an XFX 7950 and I love it. I have had no problems with it and

install was a breeze! I have never used an Asus card but they make great motherboards.

TRENDING THREADS